Opinion More of the same next year

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I made a thread recently saying that 2020 we should be pushing for finals, but honestly if we don't make any significant recruitment decisions for next season, then next year is gonna be the same unfortunately.
If we manage to bring in a hooker, centre and a prop forward then things are looking up, but given recent events, we can't seem to close a deal, I'm afraid it's gonna be another depressing season again, which would end up being 4 years in a row missing finals if we don't make significant changes.
I'm not trying to be negative, but I'm just calling it as I see it, I hope I'm wrong because I'm always optimistic about our chances, but we don't have enough strike in this team to move up, I pray we make some signings, we need it the most out of any team in the league.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I made a thread recently saying that 2020 we should be pushing for finals, but honestly if we don't make any significant recruitment decisions for next season, then next year is gonna be the same unfortunately.
If we manage to bring in a hooker, centre and a prop forward then things are looking up, but given recent events, we can't seem to close a deal, I'm afraid it's gonna be another depressing season again, which would end up being 4 years in a row missing finals if we don't make significant changes.
I'm not trying to be negative, but I'm just calling it as I see it, I hope I'm wrong because I'm always optimistic about our chances, but we don't have enough strike in this team to move up, I pray we make some signings, we need it the most out of any team in the league.
JMK will start the year with a lot more experience. Should be a better hooker than he was to start this year. Depth there may be a problem, but that remains to be seen. It still worries me more that the refs don't call games down the middle. They can have a huge impact with different versions of the 10m they set and a few piggyback penalties that change momentum. Not just against us, it's a recurring theme with the refs.

Hopefully at least one centre has a huge offseason and makes the naysayers eat their words. Likewise with all of our roster. With a lot of salary cap space being freed up, any dramatic improvement in ability could earn the players an upgrade, while not improving could mean they face the uncertainty of having to test the market for their next contract.

I'm pretty sure our recruitment drive isn't over. Every offseason has a decent amount of player movement these days and I expect the club has some money up their sleeve to capitalise on that.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
JMK will start the year with a lot more experience. Should be a better hooker than he was to start this year. Depth there may be a problem, but that remains to be seen. It still worries me more that the refs don't call games down the middle. They can have a huge impact with different versions of the 10m they set and a few piggyback penalties that change momentum. Not just against us, it's a recurring theme with the refs.

Hopefully at least one centre has a huge offseason and makes the naysayers eat their words. Likewise with all of our roster. With a lot of salary cap space being freed up, any dramatic improvement in ability could earn the players an upgrade, while not improving could mean they face the uncertainty of having to test the market for their next contract.

I'm pretty sure our recruitment drive isn't over. Every offseason has a decent amount of player movement these days and I expect the club has some money up their sleeve to capitalise on that.
Weve seen JMKs potential after 2 years of NRL... same as we saw Lichhaas after his first 2 years..

Neither are the answer as our dummy half..

BG73

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
You are spot mate.
Sick of hearing the excuse too that 2021 will be when we’re back, it’s all crap and just demonstrates how far we’ve slipped as a club.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Still think we will jag at least 1 more major signing (probably wing, centre or hooker) before or just after November and if we have a much better pre-season, I reckon at least 5 or 6 wins from the opening 10 rounds should be the benchmark.

BG73

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Still think we will jag at least 1 more major signing (probably wing, centre or hooker) before or just after November and if we have a much better pre-season, I reckon at least 5 or 6 wins from the opening 10 rounds should be the benchmark.
I hope you’re right, but for me it’s just hope. Our squad is weak, and when the whips are cracking again early in the new season is when we can get a measure. Our late season surge this year is just copy paste previous year. Change nothing, nothing changes

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I think it's better we suffer for 1 more season, as long as we're planning for 2021 to be our year. 2020 we should just be bringing in players for 1 year as stop gap solutions. There are a few exceptions, but tbh, the only 1 I can think of is Oates. It's obvious why we're missing out on recruiting players, but I've said it enough, so people who are unsure can connect the dots.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I hope you’re right, but for me it’s just hope. Our squad is weak, and when the whips are cracking again early in the new season is when we can get a measure. Our late season surge this year is just copy paste previous year. Change nothing, nothing changes
Fair enough, but surely adding Stimson, DWZ, and Britt + the development and improvement of players like To'omaga, Ogden and Meaney + possibly signing another decent player means "Change nothing" doesn't really apply this year?

Yes went on a late run last year but this year there seems to be real defense patterns emerging and the more Foran plays the more comfortable he feels running the show. I am not saying its enough, but I think its definitely an improvement and they appear to be gelling as a team.

Delta

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I'm a fan of JMK's work. I really don't think he's bad at all.

I think a while ago nrl.com did a sprint speed measurement based on game action, and JMK was actually faster than Cook.

We have seen JMK's speed in use, many a time he has run from dummy half and made a break...

JMK should spend the offseason watching Damien Cook play... he has plenty to learn from him but at the same time he already has the necessary skill set in regards to running game.

With that said, I'm not too concerned if we resign Lichaa... I believe Pay will never play Lichaa in top grade again unless there is an injury. Reynolds is another likeable option, after all you do need 2 hookers in the top 30...

Ribo Flavin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Some supporters want a team of thrifty priced..premiership winning stars. lol.. the current team need time to learn their trade and gain experience..the recent run of wins displays that the ability is there..

Reactions: DDR

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I'm a fan of JMK's work. I really don't think he's bad at all.

I think a while ago nrl.com did a sprint speed measurement based on game action, and JMK was actually faster than Cook.

We have seen JMK's speed in use, many a time he has run from dummy half and made a break...

JMK should spend the offseason watching Damien Cook play... he has plenty to learn from him but at the same time he already has the necessary skill set in regards to running game.

With that said, I'm not too concerned if we resign Lichaa... I believe Pay will never play Lichaa in top grade again unless there is an injury. Reynolds is another likeable option, after all you do need 2 hookers in the top 30...
If the markers aren't square or the defensive line is still retreating, you run. Also his passing from the ruck needs work and he also needs to have better deception with his body language.
In saying that, stick with JMK, sign a Hooker for 1 year (even if that means resigning Lichaa). Harry Grant needs to be our man in 2021.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
What is the club going to do with the money they had earmarked for Api, Ramien & Ese Ese?

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
What is the club going to do with the money they had earmarked for Api, Ramien & Ese Ese?
Buy players like Segeyaro, Luke, Josh Morris and any other player they can sign for 1 year. Otherwise front load contracts. We don't want to jeopardise 2021 by just signing players for the sake of it that we're stuck with past 2020.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Buy players like Segeyaro, Luke, Josh Morris and any other player they can sign for 1 year. Otherwise front load contracts. We don't want to jeopardise 2021 by just signing players for the sake of it that we're stuck with past 2020.
Lol segeyaro?

The club will not go near him and thank fuck they dont

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You’re always optimistic?
If I wasn’t optimistic then I wouldn’t be watching the team week in week out, and coming on this forum everyday, I just wouldn’t bother, your just cut cause my posts are painfully true, but in my private life I’m always tuning in and hoping we turn it around, just because I’m not saying it on here doesn’t mean I’m not optimistic about the team

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Lol segeyaro?

The club will not go near him and thank fuck they dont
Players like, doesn't mean these exact players. If you're just looking at the player IMO he's the best option. Anyone that we can get for 1 season, either journeyman or players at the end of their career.