Would the Broncos "throw" this match?

bulldogfan1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How about this Hypothetical assuming we win. Sharks and tigers draw (tank). They both jump the Gronks and do away with a Qld game. A win win for both the Sharks and Tigers. Only if we win. I know i know, get of the pipe.
Very hard to draw in the golden point era

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Manly and Parra play this Friday night at 6pm.

If Manly win they stay 5th or even if they lose but lose by less than 12 points, they will stay at 5th.

So if Manly remain at 5th they will play the 8th placed team.

If Broncos lose, they will drop to 8th unless the unlikely result of a Sharks/Tigers draw, then they miss the semis.

One would think Brisbane would much rather play Manly at Brooky without Turbo and Joel Thonpson than go to Bankwest where Parra are otherworldly, especially as it will be absolutely packed. Brisbane also got spanked by Parra earlier in the season at Bankwest.

Surely Brisbane would much rather play Manly than Parra.

Interesting to see what happens as the Manly Parra game is on Friday night and we are on Saturday twilight game.
You summed it up when you said they could miss the 8 with a draw in the other game. They won't be taking any chances.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would be awesome to knock the Gronks out of the 8... No Queensland team in the finals lol
I don't think the NRL, channel nine and fox would like us knocking Broncs out. It's about ratings and this scenario wouldn't go down well.
Expect the refereeing to be one sided which I'd say will be one of the Sutton's

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
I actually think if anything the Tigers and Sharks will draw. They are about as good as each other and could be advised by their respective coaches to draw the game so both of them make the finals. Imagine that lol.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Ummm no they won’t. And Won’t need to as they will get beaten anyway lol..!!!

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
Let's say we win against the Broncos... I reckon there'd be some subconscious attempt from the Sharks and Tigers to agree on a draw and both make the 8.
but the referees who know the nrl want Brisbane in the finals for tv money will blow penalties in easy goal kicking range to help the Brisbane

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
To even entertain the proposition in the original post would be ridiculous.

As if professional teams even pay consideration to these what if scenarios.
I could produce many examples of teams throwing a game because of what would happen

1) Australia 2-2 Solomon Islands (Solomon islands need a draw to advance to the OFC world cup playoff instead of New Zealand, Australia probably feel that they are easier opposition and allow a draw then wipe them out 9-1 a year later to move onto Uruguay)

2) West Germany 1-0 Austria 1982 world cup (The Disgrace of Gijon)

3) All American sports have drafts and their teams purposely lose in order to gain better draft picks, in fact 1 team made it a strategy to do it over 4 or 5 years

4) Thailand 3-2 Indonesia, Indonesia scored an own goal late in the game because they preferred to face Singapore instead of Vietnam in the semi finals, Thailand also preferred to play Singapore because they were trying to prevent the own goal that would give them the win

5) Barbados 4-2 Grenada, both teams trying to score own goals and prevent their opponents doing so in an interesting reverse style of soccer

6) 2012 Olympic games badminton match fixing to gain better quarter final matchups

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
I could produce many examples of teams throwing a game because of what would happen

1) Australia 2-2 Solomon Islands (Solomon islands need a draw to advance to the OFC world cup playoff instead of New Zealand, Australia probably feel that they are easier opposition and allow a draw then wipe them out 9-1 a year later to move onto Uruguay)

3) All American sports have drafts and their teams purposely lose in order to gain better draft picks, in fact 1 team made it a strategy to do it over 4 or 5 years

4) Thailand 3-2 Indonesia, Indonesia scored an own goal late in the game because they preferred to face Singapore instead of Vietnam in the semi finals, Thailand also preferred to play Singapore because they were trying to prevent the own goal that would give them the win

5) Barbados 4-2 Grenada, both teams trying to score own goals and prevent their opponents doing so in an interesting reverse style of soccer

6) 2012 Olympic games badminton match fixing to gain better quarter final matchups
I'm not saying it doesn't happen, because it clearly does and has. I'm saying the web of results that would need to happen for the original post to happen make the scenario impossible.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

4 & 5 are comedy gold!

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Fuck I hope you are right!! My son is a gronks supporter and I’ve already dusted off the head gear and mouth guard for this match lol
Could be worse, your son could support Melbourne Storm like my son...I mean former son does!

Jokes, he is still my son he has just dishonored the family.

Bozzo

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Would be awesome to knock the Gronks out of the 8... No Queensland team in the finals lol
Refs wont allow that... we need to be extremely good to play a 15 man team...

bulldogfan1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well there goes that.
Broncos will have the most motivation to win now.
Manly without Tommy T, Joel Thompson and now there best prop Marty.
Massive advantage to the team that plays Manly.

The 2nd Spitter

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

7) 1999 Cricket World Cup— The Australian cricket team goes on a go-slow chasing a West Indian target to try to get New Zealand eliminated from the tournament.

8) Euro 2004— The Scandinavian conspiracy — Denmark and Sweden need a 2-2 draw to both progress at the expense of Italy. No other draw would suffice. Guess what the score was?

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I want to put 10k on the draw tomorrow lol

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
PS we threw the qualifying final against the Cowboys in 04 ;)