Trent Hodkinson Announces Retirement

Daustin

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
NSW State of Origin winner Trent Hodkinson has been forced to retire from the NRL after succumbing to career-ending knee injuries.

Hodkinson has confirmed the 2019 season will be his last, and will end his career where it began at Manly in 2010.

An Origin-series winner with NSW in 2014 when he broke the Blues’ drought with a matchwinning try in Game II, Hodkinson also played in a grand final with Canterbury that year.

One of the NRL’s best organisers in his prime, the 174-game playmaker formed part of a formidable Canterbury attack in his first years under coach Des Hasler.

But the 31-year-old was limited to just one NRL game - in the opening round - and three NSW Cup fixtures since reuniting with Hasler at the Sea Eagles this year.

- good luck to hokko in the future and congratulations on not only having a great career but also being a champion bloke. A shame to see it ended by injury but some great moments for him to remember. The try and conversion to seal nsw drought breaking win and his golden point field goal against manly in 2014 semi final are two that stand out

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
I thought he will be linked to our club for another signing lol.
All jokes aside good luck to him all the beat in the future.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Really liked him, should've played in 2 grand finals and he wouldve if he didn't get injured in 2012, remember him slotting over a 40m match winning field goal against Parra that season too, he was really good in 2014 and I remember he was ridiculously good when it came to kicking goal kicks but he will always go down in history for that try that ended Queenslands winning streak and bringing the title back to NSW.

Last edited:

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He brought out the best in Josh Reynolds too. A serious footballer who had sharp instinctive play and probably the best cognitive skills to achieve his pinpoint accurate goal kicking.. The best one from memory was taking a 2 point penalty kick from 40 metre's out and nailing it. I remember seeing one of the players scrunching his arse after it LMAO - obviously they enjoyed it too

Bozzo

Kennel Established
Reaction score
All the best Hodko... had his best years at the Bulldogs...

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It's a pity his knees were buggered from early in his career. It's a testament to his toughness that he's played on this long when many would have quit long ago. He was a great organiser for us and it always annoyed me that he copped so much flak from the kennel. His calmness under pressure was a massive asset and his goalkicking sealed many close wins for us. His defence was always great too. His worst critics here weren't able to get past the fact that his running game wasn't a huge part of his arsenal. But he definitely made up for it with other attributes.

Best of luck in the future Hokko. Thanks for your time here at the Bulldogs.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Best of luck Hodko.....i remember we must've won 3 games in a row by 1 point off the boot of Hodko. I also remember Hodko having a huge fan boy on here, can't recall his name....anyone remember?

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Great player, sadly his career was marred by injuries.

All the best Hokko... true champion!

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Very underrated halfback, steady and always did what was best for the team. It's no coincidence we have gotten worse since he left. Wish him all the best in retirement

Chrisaaar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very underrated halfback, steady and always did what was best for the team. It's no coincidence we have gotten worse since he left. Wish him all the best in retirement
Agreed. He was also very good in the community. Always visiting sick fans, donating to rspca etc. Top bloke!

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Gave his body to the game. Gotta get out before you end up in a wheelchair before you're 40.

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats on a great career Hokko, you are a legend in my books.
True shame that injuries have plagued your career, all the best for the future.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Best of luck Hodko.....i remember we must've won 3 games in a row by 1 point off the boot of Hodko. I also remember Hodko having a huge fan boy on here, can't recall his name....anyone remember?
Those games we kept on winning by a point turned out so important in helping us sneak into the top 8 in 2014, he also kicked one in the semis didn’t he? Against manly I think it was?

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He retired after winning the 2014 SOO series. Was never seen again.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Geee Lol. almost forgot about good old hodko, All the best Trent !!

adamsapple

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
We won 3 games straight by 1 point but the first game we won was a field goal by Josh Reynolds against the roosters

UndeadShadowMan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He hit in defence like a 2nd rower nobody ran over the top of him