Big M

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Reaction score
Semi will be signed as a centre...now everybody have a rethink

Vek

Kennel Established
Reaction score
eh i dont like how the club is looking for "marquee players" to "rebuild". We have seen a lot of our current roster has good talent, its just that theyre playing out of position and need better halves actually organising our attack.

We cant just dump 1 mill on 1 guy and call it a "rebuild". Or else we will end up with a toxic "im here for the $$$" culture that the knights have.

Great roster, shit team. Know what I mean? A good roster =/= a good TEAM.

Over the few weeks where we played well, we played like a good TEAM. We just had a bench spot being wasted yes but we all saw the talent, the grit, the desire.

Thats what we want. Not "marquee players".

If we can put in semi instead of meaney on the wing, yes, thats an improvement....but how long term is it? DO we want to be good for 2 years or 5?

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep and that's why I've been pushing the point that we need Latrell and David Fifita, even if they're going to cost 900k-1m. I'd really consider Radradra after that (but he's ageing). Regardless who we get, we have a really good base and are an effort team. We add 2 explosive players that can break a game open out of nothing (like you said) and I'm confident we can make top 8 in 2021 and push for better after that.
Yes I'm pushing the same. One back, one forward who can create breaks from nothing and they're both very young so have huge futures ahead of them. Better choices than Radradra but if we can afford all 3 then great. No decent halves or hookers available so we have to go with the best of what's available in the marketplace

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
eh i dont like how the club is looking for "marquee players" to "rebuild". We have seen a lot of our current roster has good talent, its just that theyre playing out of position and need better halves actually organising our attack.

We cant just dump 1 mill on 1 guy and call it a "rebuild". Or else we will end up with a toxic "im here for the $$$" culture that the knights have.

Great roster, shit team. Know what I mean? A good roster =/= a good TEAM.

Over the few weeks where we played well, we played like a good TEAM. We just had a bench spot being wasted yes but we all saw the talent, the grit, the desire.

Thats what we want. Not "marquee players".

If we can put in semi instead of meaney on the wing, yes, thats an improvement....but how long term is it? DO we want to be good for 2 years or 5?
I'd say we have a lot of effort, but not enough talent.

Meaney's playing out of position because even with that he's the best option on the Wing. I'm not sure who else you're referring too. Maybe Jackson, but there are benefits of playing him Second Row too. RFM's now in his correct position.

We're going to dump 2m on 2 players and 500k on a young gun (hopefully Harry Grant, because he's the only way I see us fixing our Hooker option). We're a rebuilding club, we're a bottom 4 team that want to be in the finals every year (I think Pay has even said a top 4 team, which is going to be a few years after 2021 if everything goes to plan). It isn't toxic, but players will only come to our club for $, unless we're the only club in for them.

The wasted bench spot isn't as big as you think and if Foran got injured you wouldn't be saying anything. We don't have a forward that is also a utility player. We could run a Second Rower there, but both of our Second Rower's are 80 minute players. Our bench Prop's get no minutes as is.

During our run of games we were winning tight in low scoring games. That isn't sustainable for 25+ rounds. We've also started our last 2 seasons poorly. This is why I believe we need to add explosive marquee players (Latrell and Fifita).

Again with not wanting marquee players, the alternative is overpaying on 4-5 (or even more) average to decent players. It's much better overpaying on fewer players and using them to attract other players to the club without overpaying in the future (that +results in the only way forward and to recruit properly like a top team). Also as you can see average to decent players will reject us if we offer them what there actual value is (Koroisau, Ramien, Ese'ese, etc).

For marquee players to sign, Radradra should be behind Latrell and David Fifita. Regardless if people think we can sign them or not, we have to try, and then reassess our options (either paying even more for them or moving on to the next target).

Last edited:

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Lol the bloke who wrote this had a semi when he penned the article lol fuck semi we’ve got Meaney...

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Kennel has a full hard on over a semi..

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He has 82 tries in 94 games so surely we need him for some strike in attack
Last time we spent spent 800k on a 29 year old winger was when we signed Brett Morris, arguably the best winger in the comp at the time and we lived to regret it, when building a team you can't just look at stats, there is a whole range of other factors we need to consider.

When was the last time a premiership winning clubs highest paid player was a winger?, the answer is never, and thats because it would be suicidal to give a winger that much money, let alone one that is going to be 29 and out of the game for 3 years.

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
2021 pffft fuck who cares about that year. We need players for next year

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Theres no evidence that we’ll pay overs for anyone.
We’ve just let two targets go because they wanted too much.

surfdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just curious but im trying to think of any club that is currently paying a winger more than 500k

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just curious but im trying to think of any club that is currently paying a winger more than 500k
There was this club once upon a time that paid 600+k to get a winger who missed his twin brother . It cost the club a combined 1.1mil a year so these brothers could hold hands for 80min per week.
True story!

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
I wouldn't pay that much for a semi. You can get a much cheaper one from the Sefton area.
I drive uber sometimes, and I took a guy to the Sefton Playhouse. I had heard about it for years, was funny finally seeing where it was.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Why is that comment so funny mate?
It’s true
Well so far it's been at least 4 targets. The guy literally said players didn't come because we didn't overpay. Who's coming then?