News Loyal Bulldog Jackson would love to be one-club man

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Bulldogs captain Josh Jackson is yet to begin talks about a contract extension but after eight seasons and 180 games in blue and white he is determined to remain a one-club man.

The 28-year-old is signed to Canterbury until end of 2020 but rivals can make formal approaches from November 1 and there is sure to be interest in the fierce competitor who gets through 37 tackles a game and never fails to lead by example.

He intends to begin negotiations with the club once their 2019 campaign ends with Saturday's clash against Brisbane at ANZ Stadium but even if he were to go on the open market and test the waters, the nine-time Blues Origin rep insisted his heart lies at Belmore.

"I haven't spoken to any other clubs – I haven't really even started speaking to the [Bulldogs] yet," Jackson told NRL.com.

"I spoke to Hilly [Canterbury CEO Andrew Hill] a couple weeks ago and we both agreed that we'd wait till the end of the season to start anything. Hopefully we can sort something out in the pre-season.

"I'd love to finish my career here. I love the club and I'd love to win a premiership with this club. That'd be the ideal situation, so we'll wait till the end of the season and sort it out then."

Jackson's leadership has been heralded over the past two months, with the Bulldogs winning six of their past nine matches in tenacious style.

Though they won't be playing finals, Jackson expressed his satisfaction at how the team rallied in the second half of the year.

"I'm really proud, mate. We'd love another month [to push for the finals] but unfortunately that's just not the way it is," he said.

"I'm just proud of the efforts. Obviously a little bit disappointed in the start of the year still but if you look back you can get really frustrated.

"Every team's in the same position, looking back and saying, 'Oh, we should have won this one, we should have won that one'.

"I'm just really happy with the way we've finished the season and hopefully we can do the same thing on Saturday and put in a really good performance for the fans."

In typically modest fashion, Jackson deflects praise for his captaincy onto a swathe of senior players.

"We've got a lot of great leaders here. We've got Aiden Tolman, Will Hopoate, Kieran Foran, Dylan Napa," Jackson said.

"We've got a lot of guys with a lot of experience and those guys have been fantastic throughout the year."

Bulldogs coach Dean Pay has continually stated the club's mission is to become a top-four team in the near future. Critics would have laughed at the beginning of the season but Jackson reckons Canterbury are close to achieving that goal.

"I don't think we're very far away at all – I think our performances in the last eight weeks have really shown that," he said.

"We've played some pretty tough teams and some teams that I think will go pretty deep into the semis and we put in really good performances against them.

"That just helps the playing squad here believe we can really match it with the top sides."

Five-eighth Kieran Foran reiterated his desire to remain at the club beyond 2020 and said a luckless trot with injuries has only increased his passion for the Bulldogs.

"I love the game, I'm enjoying playing every week which is the key," the fit-again 29-year-old said.

"For however long I'm enjoying the game and I'm playing well then I want to be a part of it … It's been a tough, challenging couple of years since I've come here but that's definitely brought me closer to the joint."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/09/04/loyal-bulldog-jackson-would-love-to-be-one-club-man/

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Love this bloke. Hopefully he stays and it won't cost us a fortune

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I don't know if I want him to stay, play on an edge or play through the middle lol. Has looked more like the representative Jackson of the past the last month or so and has become a more assertive leader, well that's how it looks from out here

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I don't know if I want him to stay, play on an edge or play through the middle lol. Has looked more like the representative Jackson of the past the last month or so and has become a more assertive leader, well that's how it looks from out here
700k to stay, depends who we sign where he plays. If no one then leave him on the edge probably. I'd rather him on the field for 80 minutes. A couple months ago I thought we could get away with 500-600k, but the more I think about it it's probably unders.

Legend23

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

LOL love the new profile name bro

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
No surprise to hear that. I would hope so too!!

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
700k to stay, depends who we sign where he plays. If no one then leave him on the edge probably. I'd rather him on the field for 80 minutes. A couple months ago I thought we could get away with 500-600k, but the more I think about it it's probably unders.
I reckon throw him in the middle he’s a good defender. Put Stimson and CHN on the edges.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
We have Stimson, surely we didn't buy him not to play on the edge?

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
What's Jacko worth? Obviously his looking at a 4 yr contract but at what cost? 2.2mil over 4 sounds generous.

By the end of it he'll probably be on the bench so it would be dirty if he wants higher.

Last edited:

Delta

Kennel Established
Reaction score
a lot of people on here really seem to not like Josh Jackson.

This guy is a terrific player, and don't take his defensive work for granted (like Tolman).

if our team were better, he would also be better (he won dally m last year, and state of origin the year before)

And let's not forget about him being captain, and a good one as well.

Aristidiz

Bullwog
Reaction score
It would be criminal to pay this bloke any less than what Napa is on. If he takes 650k-700k great, if not we move on another young lock this summer. Jackson has been a loyal soldier and fairly consistent but we can't be paying overs to anyone at this point

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I just can't help but think that any player who wants to talk about it after the season ends is interested about what else is out there. As I've said before it's not like we are in the finals so the season ended months ago for us and it's not going to distract the team. Anyways, could be legit if he has no intentions of leaving but I guess time will reveal the truth.

James zac

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He is our Gallen every club has them and jacko is certainly our version of Gallen

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
We have Stimson, surely we didn't buy him not to play on the edge?
Does Stimson get into the team (or at least starting) with Elliott and Pay's relationship :tongueclosed:

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I just can't help but think that any player who wants to talk about it after the season ends is interested about what else is out there. As I've said before it's not like we are in the finals so the season ended months ago for us and it's not going to distract the team. Anyways, could be legit if he has no intentions of leaving but I guess time will reveal the truth.
I think your reading too much into it. Our season is over in 3 days.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Trobojevics rumoured to consider rival offers: "its criminal for them to leave Manly the nrl should help the cap cheaters keep them.
Jacksons contract comes us and everyone outside the club couldn't give a fuck if we lose him lol.

The word 'would' has me worried, hopefully we keep him

Paulie Gualtieri

Previously Shrimp
Reaction score
I read and article and one of the lines read something along like Jackson would want a 3 -4 year deal as he is at the back end of his career, BACK END of his career. Fuck me feels like yesterday Jackson was coming off the bench to for his 10th game. Time flys

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
a lot of people on here really seem to not like Josh Jackson.

This guy is a terrific player, and don't take his defensive work for granted (like Tolman).

if our team were better, he would also be better (he won dally m last year, and state of origin the year before)

And let's not forget about him being captain, and a good one as well.
Terrific bloke, even better player and becoming what looks like one hell of a captain but lets face, his career is winding down. If he tries to demand money that could snatch an Arrow or a Murray then yeah there might be an issue.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Does Stimson get into the team (or at least starting) with Elliott and Pay's relationship :tongueclosed:
How about a three way? Can see them rotating positions... :tonguewink: