How Dean Pay and the Bulldogs revived the Dogs of War

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Way back in 2006 – on a cold, windy night in Kogarah – the Bulldogs dismantled the St George Illawarra Dragons.

Led by the bash brothers of Willie Mason and Mark O’Meley and the skilfulness of Sonny Bill Williams and Reni Maitua, the Bulldogs put the Dragons to the sword tearing holes through the middle of their ruck and hitting them with such force that each Dragons player was scared to take another hit-up in the game again.

Such a performance was not uncommon for the Bulldogs in that era, they simply sought to beat every team by physically imposing themselves on the opposition. Due to this, the Bulldogs were labelled as ‘Dogs of War’.

In that period the late great Steve Folkes was at the helm. Uncompromising as a player and as a coach, Folkes drove this ‘Dogs of War’ siege mentality into the playing group. The Bulldogs’ forward pack struck fear into the minds of other teams even before matches had started.

Fast forward to September 2019 and it appears the Bulldogs and their coach Dean Pay have revitalised this ‘Dogs of War’ mentality. Yes the Bulldogs won’t be playing finals football, but the past month has highlighted a return to the defence-wins-matches mentality.
Since beating the Sharks on June 30 the Bulldogs have only conceded 20 points or more in two matches – these being against the Roosters and the Broncos. The middle of Dylan Napa, Aiden Tolman, Jeremy Marshall-King, Adam Elliot and Josh Jackson have led the charge, coming quickly out of the line to stifle the opposition’s attack.

The supporting cast of the halves and backline including fullback Dallin Watene-Zelezniak have played their part in defence and provided the creativity necessary for the Bulldogs to strike.

Sure, the current Dogs’ forward pack and team at large is not as imposing or intimidating as the one from that night in Kogorah, but the principles of the ‘Dogs of War’ have returned – turning up for each other, giving 100 per cent effort and winning the game through a strong defence.

The Bulldogs have always performed well with their back against the wall and they will need to continue to do so in the coming years, especially due to the ongoing salary cap restrictions which have hampered their ability to manoeuvre in the player market and improve their roster. However – like Steve Folkes – Dean Pay is front and centre and will ensure that the Bulldogs remain competitive and fight until the very end.

The Bulldogs have not won the competition since 2004 and they have not made the finals for almost four years.

But with the ‘Dogs of War’ back, that could all change in the not too distant future.

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Jesus jumping the gun!
This team is miles behind those teams.Just because we won a few games at the back end of year identical of last year i might ad. We've done nothing yet.
Ill hold my judgment on the first half of next season before i agree that Dean Pay has something...

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
It’s nice to be the dogs of war again, but this team is half the team we we’re once.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
That 2006 team should have won the comp in a canter! That choke job against the Broncos in the GF qualifier is easily the most painful loss I have experienced.
Farkkkkkkkk

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dogs Of War were feard by the opposition! No one is fearing to play us at the moment!

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
That 2006 team should have won the comp in a canter! That choke job against the Broncos in the GF qualifier is easily the most painful loss I have experienced.
our collapse coincided with holsworth leaving the field.. I know his career went no where after that point, but in 2006 he was immense for us..

Merimbula Man

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Has Dean got Roxy Jacenko doing his PR?

What a load of dribble, pretty sure the Dogs of War refers to sides in the 80’s and 90’s which included the likes of Langmack, Kelly, Robinson, Folkes, Gillespie, Tunks etc

And I’d like to see the creativity you’ve mentioned, out attack is diabolical

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Fuck your all hard to please!! The media write shit you dont like and you all come out fists pumped in the air, pitchforks in hand, and then they write something positive and you discredit it as a bunch of fluff bullshit!! FFS guys, it's a positive spin on the club, which also helps to make our club look more attractive to potential recruits. It certainly does us no harm! So

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Fuck me lol

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is hard to compare teams of different eras but the 2006 team of forwards had already taken us to a premiership in 2004. Very experienced by then at that at night in Kogarah .
The comparisons I take with today's team is toomaga and Ogden could be our new mason and asotasi. Jackson is the new Ryan. CHN is a lesser skilled SBW but improving. RFM maybe a nate myles/reni Matua hybrid ?. As for omeley i can't say napa is the equivalent. Napa is tough but inconsistent to be the enforcer that omeley was.
Whilst Napa owned the Burgess brothers,omeley owned every opposing forward every week. I like Napa but he needs to earn the cash more often.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
In none of that dribble does it actually say how Dean Pay revived the Dogs of War. Talks more about 1 single game in 2006.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Lol.. just WOW..!!!!!

What a crock lol.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
the Dogs of War refers to the defence orientated, Warren Ryan coached Bulldogs of the mid-1980's that played out three straight GFs with scorelines 6-4, 7-6 and 4-2... a team that dominated a decade of football along with the Eels but where not one Bulldogs player ever gets seriously considered for a team of the decade selection... a team and an approach to the game that led the comp to change rules (eg. defusing bombs on the full in your tryline, an expanded 5 m rule) to counter us

the 2002-2006 team were more 'Bling Boys' then they were 'Dogs of War'

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
48 missed tackles in the second half alone that night... unforgiveable :rage:

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
A
Agree bro that was our year again. What a dynamic forward pack. Tough with huge skill.