What is a bachelor of arts degree?

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
A neighbour wants to go to university and told me he is gonna do a bachelor of arts degree.

I went to university many years ago but I never knew exactly what a bachelor of arts degree was?

What do I tell him? I want to keep him focused on his HSC and be positive but don't want to tell him porkies either

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
A neighbour wants to go to university and told me he is gonna do a bachelor of arts degree.

I went to university many years ago but I never knew exactly what a bachelor of arts degree was?

What do I tell him? I want to keep him focused on his HSC and be positive but don't want to tell him porkies either
If you aren't a career advisor and have no idea what a batchelor of arts degree is then mind your own business.

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone know what a bachelor of arts degree is?

What jobs have a pre requisite requirement to have a bachelor of arts?

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
An unmarried bloke who looks at paintings?

Cosmo Kramer

Waterboy
Reaction score
It's a degree where upon completing 8 or so core subjects covering a range of disciplines, the student picks a major(s) or minors in specific fields such as writing, history, marketing, media etc.

Some majors have vocational utility. Others will not help the applicant get a good paying job or a job with a required specific skillset.

If he wants a job he should pick a good major or a better degree!

Jabba the Mutt

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Does anyone know what a bachelor of arts degree is?
A BA is a degree that can be a degree in literally anything....for literally any job. (You can do a BA in science for example).

It depends upon the majors that this student wants to learn and continue with as a profession. These majors should be something that your neighbour really likes/loves/has interests in/finds enjoyable etc to learn or to do.

I'd seriously suggest that this student gets advice from their school's guidance councillor where they can discuss the things that they enjoy/hate and take it from there. This would be your friends first step just to add a little clarity (...and is the purpose of schools hiring guidance councillors).

Note: once at Uni many (MANY) people change their major if/when they find it's not what they had expected.....and there's also councillors at Uni's to help out.

(I did a science degree where I went from the general biology of animals/plants to animals only, then to only certain animals, then to only a couple of these animals, then to the biochemistry of only one of these animals (the one I enjoyed the most).....and this took years).

Your neighbour would be wise to seek advice and follow what they really find enjoyable.
I wish them well in their studies.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
@Blue_boost
Your careers must have their hands tied looking after you 24/7 They must have the patience of a saint 1 day of looking after you would be enough to put a pillow over your head while your sleeping

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Beeg has high quality clips
Aye. Used to have free Brazzers account that everyone passed around, good HD shit but the acting was so cringey that you just got turned off haha. I actually know a chick that's going to do some amateur shit, will provide link and personal pics if she makes it haha.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
A BA is a degree that can be a degree in literally anything....for literally any job. (You can do a BA in science for example).

It depends upon the majors that this student wants to learn and continue with as a profession. These majors should be something that your neighbour really likes/loves/has interests in/finds enjoyable etc to learn or to do.

I'd seriously suggest that this student gets advice from their school's guidance councillor where they can discuss the things that they enjoy/hate and take it from there. This would be your friends first step just to add a little clarity (...and is the purpose of schools hiring guidance councillors).

Note: once at Uni many (MANY) people change their major if/when they find it's not what they had expected.....and there's also councillors at Uni's to help out.

(I did a science degree where I went from the general biology of animals/plants to animals only, then to only certain animals, then to only a couple of these animals, then to the biochemistry of only one of these animals (the one I enjoyed the most).....and this took years).

Your neighbour would be wise to seek advice and follow what they really find enjoyable.
I wish them well in their studies.
Hey, you're too nice for this place!

Whilst my undergrad degree was a B Commerce, with the right choice of electives and majors, I could have done a BA and ended up in the same place i am now.

Blue Boy's trolling attempt today is poor, even by his standards.

Fun fact - originally all Bachelor Degrees were BA, even for sciences.

longy0303

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
An arts degree allows you to work in any cafe in Australia. Essentially a degree in pretendcies. It’s for people who have no idea what the want to do but have been brainwashed that it is important to have any degree of some sort

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Bro, why do you even want to tell him anything about it anyway? If he wants a BA then obviously he's done his research and knows what he can do with it. I doubt he wants to waste 4 years of his life at Uni not knowing what he can do with it.

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Someone said their eBay rating of 100% resonates a little more with employers than an arts degree.

An arts degree seems to be a bit of a jack of all trades doesn't it?

But I'm not one to criticise so I'll encourage him a bit aye?

Last edited:

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah, I did a Bachelor of Arse degree at Uni.

I majored in Drunken Chick Theory

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Someone said their eBay rating of 100% is worth more than an arts degree.

An arts degree seems to be a bit of a jack of all trades
Pretty much. It's a non-structured degree.

Depending what job you're looking for, it could be better or worse.

For example, if you're planning to become a clinical psychologist or psychiatrist then a bachelor of science - psychology is better than a bachelor of arts - psychology. But if you're just planning to steal people's money, or work in marketing or sport psychology then a bachelor of arts is better.

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are there any CEO's out there armed with a bachelor of arts degree?