Worst/Least Favourite Holiday Destination

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Went to broken hill earlier in the year and had the pleasure of spending time in wilcannia.
Don’t. Just don’t.
It’s honestly safer to play Russian roulette with a completely loaded gun.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yep. Hard to disagree. One country I will NEVER visit.
I actually have been to India and what I saw will scar me for life. Lepers on skateboards begging for money /food.. The ones that still had an arm left that is.

A bell boy dripping sweat all over me while rocking me on a lounge swing.. Eeeewww ( I was 5 then)

My dad being like some billionaire just handing out 10 rupee notes (equivalent of 1c AUD) to the many bellboys taking our bags to the room.. (yes my dad actually tipping someone ... unheard of )

The stench of crude oil and cow dung permanently entrenched in my nostrils, on my clothes, my skin, my room..

The sight of dead bodies on the street ( I was 5 at the time and my brother was 8 but he reckons thats what was happening at 5am when we heard and actually saw trucks scooping up stuff off the side of the roads and dumping it straight into the bin at the back of the truck.. Was just hell on earth really.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Best Holiday Destination: Queenstown. I've been lucky enough to travel to some amazing countries and cities around the world, but our neighbour right next door is where my best holiday destination. Queenstown ticks all the boxes - Amazing scenery, countless activities in Summer and Winter and a city that's buzzing and tricks you into thinking you're in some unknown Austrian town in the sticks.

Worst Holiday Destination: Rome. Never been so happy to get out of the joint. Never felt safe, everything way over-priced, beggars everywhere going to EXTREME levels (We're talking drugging up babies for $1). The history is amazing, but honestly with the other crap going on, it's hard to really soak it all in.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Best Holiday Destination: Queenstown. I've been lucky enough to travel to some amazing countries and cities around the world, but our neighbour right next door is where my best holiday destination. Queenstown ticks all the boxes - Amazing scenery, countless activities in Summer and Winter and a city that's buzzing and tricks you into thinking you're in some unknown Austrian town in the sticks.

Worst Holiday Destination: Rome. Never been so happy to get out of the joint. Never felt safe, everything way over-priced, beggars everywhere going to EXTREME levels (We're talking drugging up babies for $1). The history is amazing, but honestly with the other crap going on, it's hard to really soak it all in.
Yeah a lot of those big European cities have those gypsies begging for money. Paris is another one as well as Lisbon. I actually feel very sorry for them, imagine that kind of life.

Never been over the ditch, but would love to try it one day.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
I have not been to that many places.

LA - Shithole. Absolute shithole. I enjoyed Disneyland though and wish I hit up California Adventure and Universal. It is just a touristy hellhole, especially around Hollywood. Bad traffic, rude people, heaps of people harassing you to take their mix tapes and get photos etc.

SF - I really liked SF. I got a tattoo done there by Ed Hardys son, really loved the fishermans wharf area and food, Alcatraz was amazing and so was the Golden Gate Bridge. Did not explore as much as I wanted. Was a bit a homeless problem though.

Vegas - It is amazing to see. But I was bored as fuck after like 2 days. I did some amazing stuff there though like going to a gig at The House Of Blues (Dethklok, Mastodon, Converge, High on Fire) and then hanging out with some americans in their stratosphere hotel room and smoked some green. Got asked to turn my Machine Head shirt inside out because of what it said on the back (MACHINE FUCKING HEAD), and took a trip to the grand canyon and rode over it in a helicopter, landed inside of it for lunch too. Was a highlight of my USA trip. I would probably not go back to Vegas, just not my thing.

Amsterdam - Absolutely loved it. Smoked some weed walking through the red light district. Saw lots of nice titties. Got offered lots of cocaine by africans. Got rally sick though which put a dampener on the trip.

England - London and Liverpool. Really cool place, lots of history. Would love to go back and do a proper road trip around the whole UK.

Japan - Best place ever. I have been twice, been to Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto, Hiroshima, Sapporo. Will definitely be going back some day, just so much to see and do. I love it. I would not go back in summer again though, only go in the other seasons.

Hawaii - I really wish I did more than just Oahu. Waikiki gets so boring after a while, it is just like the gold coast. I will go back one day hopefully and see the big island and the volcanos but I will skip Waikiki. Probably good as a few day stop over on your way to the USA Mainland.

Wahesh

Reaction score
SF - I really liked SF. I got a tattoo done there by Ed Hardys son, really loved the fishermans wharf area and food, Alcatraz was amazing and so was the Golden Gate Bridge. Did not explore as much as I wanted. Was a bit a homeless problem though.
You and @Hacky McAxe have differing views on SF it seems...

Japan - Best place ever. I have been twice, been to Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto, Hiroshima, Sapporo. Will definitely be going back some day, just so much to see and do. I love it. I would not go back in summer again though, only go in the other seasons.
Japan is the #1 Asian country I'd like to visit.

Why not Summer though?

Papa Emeritus

Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
You and @Hacky McAxe have differing views on SF it seems...
Yeah I saw Hackys comment. I kinda get it, and maybe he explored more than I did. I dunno if I would bother going back to SF but I enjoyed my time there.

I forgot to mention LA beaches. They are so god damn shit compared to our beaches. I cant believe anyone would talk them up.

Japan is the #1 Asian country I'd like to visit.

Why not Summer though?

It is really, really hot and humid. When we went in summer the only place that had a bearable temperature was Hokkaido. Tokyo was horrible, like high 30s and 70-90% humidity. That kind of weather does nothing but make exploring Tokyo harder. Last time we went it was winter and some cold is so much easier to deal with than extreme heat. Especially as you do a lot of walking in Japan. I hope to go back during cherry blossom season next time, but I know that will be crazy expensive.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have not been to that many places.

LA - Shithole. Absolute shithole. I enjoyed Disneyland though and wish I hit up California Adventure and Universal. It is just a touristy hellhole, especially around Hollywood. Bad traffic, rude people, heaps of people harassing you to take their mix tapes and get photos etc.

Vegas - It is amazing to see. But I was bored as fuck after like 2 days. I did some amazing stuff there though like going to a gig at The House Of Blues (Dethklok, Mastodon, Converge, High on Fire) and then hanging out with some americans in their stratosphere hotel room and smoked some green. Got asked to turn my Machine Head shirt inside out because of what it said on the back (MACHINE FUCKING HEAD), and took a trip to the grand canyon and rode over it in a helicopter, landed inside of it for lunch too. Was a highlight of my USA trip. I would probably not go back to Vegas, just not my thing.

Amsterdam - Absolutely loved it. Smoked some weed walking through the red light district. Saw lots of nice titties. Got offered lots of cocaine by africans. Got rally sick though which put a dampener on the trip.

England - London and Liverpool. Really cool place, lots of history. Would love to go back and do a proper road trip around the whole UK.

Hawaii - I really wish I did more than just Oahu. Waikiki gets so boring after a while, it is just like the gold coast. I will go back one day hopefully and see the big island and the volcanos but I will skip Waikiki. Probably good as a few day stop over on your way to the USA Mainland.
I'm going to Japan next month

Wahesh

Reaction score
Yeah I saw Hackys comment. I kinda get it, and maybe he explored more than I did. I dunno if I would bother going back to SF but I enjoyed my time there.

I forgot to mention LA beaches. They are so god damn shit compared to our beaches. I cant believe anyone would talk them up.
I reckon the only reason people talk up LA beaches is because of Baywatch - I can't think of any other reason. I've seen pictures of them and our beaches here and they are nothing alike.
It is really, really hot and humid. When we went in summer the only place that had a bearable temperature was Hokkaido. Tokyo was horrible, like high 30s and 70-90% humidity. That kind of weather does nothing but make exploring Tokyo harder. Last time we went it was winter and some cold is so much easier to deal with than extreme heat. Especially as you do a lot of walking in Japan. I hope to go back during cherry blossom season next time, but I know that will be crazy expensive.[/QUOTE]
Well thanks for the heads-up. I've always wanted to go to Japan in the winter I dare say. Not only because I hate exploring places in heat, but because I want to visit the Japanese natural hot springs - like the picture below.

I'm not sure if these things work well in winter, but it's something Id like to try.

I am also absolutely amused by Japanese culture... the way they like things all bright and LED lite-up in the night sky. Apparently there's no litter on the streets in Tokyo (it's a cultural thing), and just everything else about it that I'd like to see is really really fascinating to me. I reckon I'll be like a kid in a lolly store if I went there lol.

Papa Emeritus

Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
I reckon the only reason people talk up LA beaches is because of Baywatch - I can't think of any other reason. I've seen pictures of them and our beaches here and they are nothing alike.
Well thanks for the heads-up. I've always wanted to go to Japan in the winter I dare say. Not only because I hate exploring places in heat, but because I want to visit the Japanese natural hot springs - like the picture below.

I'm not sure if these things work well in winter, but it's something Id like to try.

I am also absolutely amused by Japanese culture... the way they like things all bright and LED lite-up in the night sky. Apparently there's no litter on the streets in Tokyo (it's a cultural thing), and just everything else about it that I'd like to see is really really fascinating to me. I reckon I'll be like a kid in a lolly store if I went there lol.
Yeah like the beaches I saw like Venice beach, are extremely wide and flat (where as our beaches are very narrow often with dunes). The sand looks crap too. Even Waikiki beach only looks how it does by shipping in sand from elsewhere in the world. Australia doesnt know how lucky they are with their beaches.

Hot springs are definitely better when it is cold for sure. I did not go to one like you pictured, but it looks amazing. The only one I got to use was a private hot spring in a ryokan in Kawaguchiko. Mainly because I have tattoos and you cannot really use communal ones if you do.

This was our view from our little balcony with the private hot spring

The no litter thing is correct. Also there are no bins either. Japanese people do not eat and walk. They do not eat on trains (bullet trains they do) or buses. So there is nothing to litter. If they need a snack they go to a 711 or Lawsons or whatever and eat it there and put it in the bin outside the store. Or they take it home. It is a cool culture.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score

It is really, really hot and humid. When we went in summer the only place that had a bearable temperature was Hokkaido. Tokyo was horrible, like high 30s and 70-90% humidity. That kind of weather does nothing but make exploring Tokyo harder. Last time we went it was winter and some cold is so much easier to deal with than extreme heat. Especially as you do a lot of walking in Japan. I hope to go back during cherry blossom season next time, but I know that will be crazy expensive.
Yeah, San Fran wasn't great but it was 100 times better than LA.

America is a very polarised place though. I have a friend who worships San Fran. In NY half my friends love certain burrows while I love certain other areas. It's all different tastes.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Yeah like the beaches I saw like Venice beach, are extremely wide and flat (where as our beaches are very narrow often with dunes). The sand looks crap too. Even Waikiki beach only looks how it does by shipping in sand from elsewhere in the world. Australia doesnt know how lucky they are with their beaches.

Hot springs are definitely better when it is cold for sure. I did not go to one like you pictured, but it looks amazing. The only one I got to use was a private hot spring in a ryokan in Kawaguchiko. Mainly because I have tattoos and you cannot really use communal ones if you do.

This was our view from our little balcony with the private hot spring

The no litter thing is correct. Also there are no bins either. Japanese people do not eat and walk. They do not eat on trains (bullet trains they do) or buses. So there is nothing to litter. If they need a snack they go to a 711 or Lawsons or whatever and eat it there and put it in the bin outside the store. Or they take it home. It is a cool culture.
That's a great view - is that Mount Fuji? Looks awesome close up. The clouds almost make it look like that's smoke coming from the top.

Country Japan is something I'd like to visit because it's hard to imagine that in such a tiny, over-populated, urbanised country, there are quiet places that are absolutely serene.

I know this is going to sound a little westernised but after watching Kill Bill 1 & 2, it only fueled me desire to see Japan. Other things are my strong like of JDM cars particularly 90s models, and also being obsessed with Nostalgia, some things that no longer exist here. For example, a mate of mine went to Tokyo last year and said that the video rental stores (DVD) are still good businesses to the point where they sometimes have people lining up outside to get in - that's how busy they are. In fact there are some VHS rental stores still in business (probably equivalent to the amount of DVD rental stores still around here).

Also I'm really into manga art and animation... that stuff is something else.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Yeah, San Fran wasn't great but it was 100 times better than LA.

America is a very polarised place though. I have a friend who worships San Fran. In NY half my friends love certain burrows while I love certain other areas. It's all different tastes.
My parents went to SF in Summer and said it was freezing - I'm guessing that it's because they were around the Bay Area. Even though... I really would like to visit it because (and I know this is going to sound immature) the great Sandbox game I've ever played is set there (Driver San Francisco).

Also, Ken Block filmed Gymkhana 5 there, and I freaking love that video (below) and a lot of other things were set there growing up that I liked watching, like Full House and George of the Jungle. I just want to see it because of how iconic it is - it's probably on par with how much Americans want to see Sydney.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

[/QUOTE]
I'm doing
Tokyo
Edegowa
Yokohama
Hiroshima
Kure
Himeji
Kobe
Osaka
Kyoto
Nara
I haven't even gone on this trip yet and I'm already booking another for april lol