Opinion Our club is not an attraction anymore

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our club has never been good at attracting players. It’s easy to get invested in all the rumours and paper talk but we never really know what’s going on behind the scenes. If players don’t want to come here so be it I’d rather that then over pay for players. Lichha isn’t being offered another year he won’t be at the club next year.
I agree with what you’re saying but we are in a tough position at the moment
Our administration is saying that next year the cap should be under control and have more money to spend for the following year
We might have to pay slightly over unfortunately just to entice a couple of top guns
Then others will come along in my opinion only.
You need to cop a hit sometimes,better of in the long run hopefully

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
We have to pay overs for some players, especially the 1st better players we bring to the club. There is no attraction to come play for our club if you're a decent player (Koroisau, Ramien, more will come). We just have to make sure we're paying overs for the right players. If you use DWZ as an e.g. I'm sorry, but he was a reject player and we were the only club offering to play him Fullback (I don't know how much he's on, but it's probably a good amount). Yes, he's been good for us, but we ain't going to find many if any more players in that situation.
You pay overs for someone that you need to be the final piece of the puzzle to put you over the top to win a premiership. You don’t pay overs when you can’t atttact players. Api, Ramien and Ese’ese are decent first graders but you’re nuts if you think they are worth spending overs on. It’s a waiting game and if you miss out of one you just move to the next player. It might not be very satisfying at the minute but it’s a lot better in the long run.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
You pay overs for someone that you need to be the final piece of the puzzle to put you over the top to win a premiership. You don’t pay overs when you can’t atttact players. Api, Ramien and Ese’ese are decent first graders but you’re nuts if you think they are worth spending overs on. It’s a waiting game and if you miss out of one you just move to the next player. It might not be very satisfying at the minute but it’s a lot better in the long run.
I don't think those players are either, but how long can we keep saying that? No one is going to come until we pay overs. It's clear our club is going after rejects and players looking for an opportunity. Unless no one else is going for those same players we can't get them. Koroisau and Ramien both would of been good signings for value. It's going to be almost impossible to sign players for value for the reasons I stated above. I don't think you or the club want another 5-10 years in rebuild.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I agree with what you’re saying but we are in a tough position at the moment
Our administration is saying that next year the cap should be under control and have more money to spend for the following year
We might have to pay slightly over unfortunately just to entice a couple of top guns
Then others will come along in my opinion only.
You need to cop a hit sometimes,better of in the long run hopefully
I agree with you I’m not against paying overs for a player that we could build the club around and take the club to a new level. I just don’t see Api, Ramien or Ese’ese as those type of players.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't think those players are either, but how long can we keep saying that? No one is going to come until we pay overs.
If they don’t come you just have to wait till they do and if they don’t we develop them. This is when we have to stay patient.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
If they don’t come you just have to wait till they do and if they don’t we develop them. This is when we have to stay patient.
We've already suffered for 3 years? That method literally would mean we're a rebuilding club for another 5-10 years. We've also already shown to overpay, look at the Napa signing 700k (650k exactly). How did the Knights attract players for their rebuild? We're in a similar situation (also I still didn't have the Knights top 8 this year with their current squad). I'd pay overs for 2 players, Latrell and Fifita, give Grant a big contract (like Knights with Ponga, but less) and sign a reject Centre (like Ramien, Scott, etc). At least with bringing in Latrell, Fifita and Grant we'll have some names to bring other players to the club (some of those rejects or players looking for an opportunity mentioned before) and then it'd come down to our results for recruitment moving forward.

Last edited:

Ribo Flavin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Until the nrl disclose all 3rd party deals publicly..we really dont know how comparative player wages are.

Last edited:

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
We've already suffered for 3 years? That method literally would mean we're a rebuilding club for another 5-10 years. We've also already shown to overpay, look at the Napa signing 700k (650k exactly). How did the Knights attract players for their rebuild? We're in a similar situation (also I still didn't have the Knights top 8 this year with their current squad).
Ok would you rather we overpay for average players now and cripple the cap again just to say we can attract players?
It doesn’t mean it’s going to take another 5-10 years but it’s going to take as long as it does. How do you know they overpaid for Napa? The club might have valued him at $650k. You might not agree with that value but that’s how they work the cap. The Knights took 3-4 years before they bought in big names and that was after over paying and as you say they aren’t a top 8 squad and their caps full. How has overpaying gone for them?

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Ok would you rather we overpay for average players now and cripple the cap again just to say we can attract players?
It doesn’t mean it’s going to take another 5-10 years but it’s going to take as long as it does. How do you know they overpaid for Napa? The club might have valued him at $650k. You might not agree with that value but that’s how they work the cap. The Knights took 3-4 years before they bought in big names and that was after over paying and as you say they aren’t a top 8 squad and their caps full. How has overpaying gone for them?
Look if you want to stick with the same squad and never improve it, your method is perfect for that. They were wooden spooners 3 season in a row. If they used your method they'd still be spooners. They had to over pay to bring anyone to the club, how do you not see that? They're now in a position where they don't have to pay overs anymore (or at least a better position).

Last edited:

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with you I’m not against paying overs for a player that we could build the club around and take the club to a new level. I just don’t see Api, Ramien or Ese’ese as those type of players.
That’s spot on mate,definitely wouldn’t be paying extra for those three
I understand people are upset including myself about Api because our hooker position is a real problem child.
In saying that I have full trust and faith in our management to make the correct calls regarding payments
Not like several years ago,but we won’t talk about that
Better days ahead.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Look if you want to stick with the same squad and never improve it, your method is perfect for that. They were wooden spooners 3 season in a row. If they used your method they'd still be spooners. They had to over pay to bring anyone to the club, how do you not see that?
I’m not saying that you’re missing the point eventually we will get the players we need but we just have to stay patient until we get them. There’s always movement of contracted players at the end of the season so we might get lucky if we don’t we keep going till the right player becomes available. So overpaying has moved Newcastle from the spoon to just missing out on the 8 but that’s their ceiling because their caps full. I’d be filthy with that if I was a Knights fan.

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
We need a big name signing to make players want to come here, to get that big name we are going to have to pay overs

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
That’s spot on mate,definitely wouldn’t be paying extra for those three
I understand people are upset including myself about Api because our hooker position is a real problem child.
In saying that I have full trust and faith in our management to make the correct calls regarding payments
Not like several years ago,but we won’t talk about that
Better days ahead.
It would have been great to get Api he would have solved a big problem!
I agree I think we are going about it in exactly the right way. It’s easy to go for a quick fix get sucked into dumb decisions playing into managers hands.
We have the most promising group of juniors coming through since 2010-12 so hopefully they bare fruit and solve a few problems.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
We need a big name signing to make players want to come here, to get that big name we are going to have to pay overs
Latrell and Fifita, 900k-1m each.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Our club has never been good at attracting players. .
I don't we need to go back THAT far to a time when we were seen as a place to want to play for.

But sadly, we have ended up being like Souffs were 15 years ago when they paid a shitload for Roy Asotasi.

Costa84

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
API got extra 100k a year
Got nothing to do with not wanting to come here
That's 2k a week extra in his pocket ... I would think most people would do the same... I just hope the board will scrap their new "don't overpay" strategy in NOV or we will miss out on all the high profile players that will only move for more money

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
That's 2k a week extra in his pocket ... I would think most people would do the same... I just hope the board will scrap their new "don't overpay" strategy in NOV or we will miss out on all the high profile players that will only move for more money
If you think about it logical they'll have to, otherwise literally no one decent will come. We could potentially start to lose players or have to start overpaying players we currently have to stay too (look at Arrow at the Titans, they'd have to offer him over 1m to keep him).

mikey

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We have to pay overs for some players, especially the 1st better players we bring to the club. There is no attraction to come play for our club if you're a decent player (Koroisau, Ramien, more will come). We just have to make sure we're paying overs for the right players. If you use DWZ as an e.g. I'm sorry, but he was a reject player and we were the only club offering to play him Fullback (I don't know how much he's on, but it's probably a good amount). Yes, he's been good for us, but we ain't going to find many if any more players in that situation.
West tigers were chasing him hard and from what I’ve been told he took less to come to us.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
West tigers were chasing him hard and from what I’ve been told he took less to come to us.
Did they offer him a Fullback position? Unless they were able to move Mbye on (which IMO they tried and couldn't) then I don't think that signing makes sense.