Our Spine

Kiwipup

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Our current spine consists of

DWZ, Foran, Wakeham, Cogger, Lewis and JMK (Lichaa is obviously gone)

Interesting fact is that every single player listed above is off contract next year, and can negotiate with rival clubs in the next few months.

Personally i would hurry up with re-signing DWZ and Wakeham before November this year.

Does it seem like the club has no clue on who or what our spine will be in the future? Are they confused? Do they have players already signed up with the handshake agreement?

I find it really odd that our entire spine is off contract, and with not many good spine players coming off contract next year at the other clubs???

What are peoples thoughts?

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yup. Lock up Dwz an wakeham !!

Aristidiz

Bullwog
Reaction score
Our current spine consists of

DWZ, Foran, Wakeham, Cogger, Lewis and JMK (Lichaa is obviously gone)

Interesting fact is that every single player listed above is off contract next year, and can negotiate with rival clubs in the next few months.

Personally i would hurry up with re-signing DWZ and Wakeham before November this year.

Does it seem like the club has no clue on who or what our spine will be in the future? Are they confused? Do they have players already signed up with the handshake agreement?

I find it really odd that our entire spine is off contract, and with not many good spine players coming off contract next year at the other clubs???

What are peoples thoughts?
You tend to get the strong inclination that throughout this year that they have chopped and changed the spine (yes by necessity due to injury i.e Foran) because they are wanting to see abit of each of these guys.

DWZ is ours, I believe the feeling is mutual between he and the club, unless another club throws the chequebook at him.

Foran - if he wants to negotiate this early on the so be it. But i'm sure if he wants to actually try and prove he can stay healthy to get top $ on his next deal, he will hold out until later next year before beginning negotiations. I doubt we re-sign him unless he puts 20+ games together.

Wakeham - haven't seen much of him in NRL but worth keeping and doubt clubs will be throwing big dollars to lure him away

Cogger - Sign him up soon, others will be coming

Lewis - let the year play out, if his attack improves keep him, if not he may need to be shed

JMK - he will be asking for a decent pay packet, considering our current 9 situation we can't let him go.

Pen will be put to paper this offseason

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
There's still a couple of months till clubs can talk to them and I'd say the ones we want to keep will be locked up before pre-season starts in November.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Other than DWZ which club would make a serious play at any of those players.

Wakeham and JMK have potential, Lewis is just a posterboy, Cogger I think people are putting far too much faith in and Foran is a week to week proposition.

The problem is there's not decent options out there either.

Wayne Rooney

Kennel Established
Reaction score
They probably have a couple of spine players already signed up and will announce it later in the year