Opinion Strike Rate - Api, Ese Ese, Ramien

Delta

Kennel Established
Reaction score
No, because all you hear is "yay, we won" from people who accept underperforming. Sounds like you are one of them. Some of us did speak up but the problems and got called "negative".

Our wins came from grinding out an ugly win, even when we won the same problems were there. Some people forget the problems because we managed a few wins, doesn't mean the problems aren't there any more.

Even shit teams manage a few wins in a season IE us, dragons and titans
So what if our wins are 'ugly'? Dean Pay has clearly assessed the situation at our club and decided that this is the most suitable method of doing things at this very moment with what we have. I have to say the Anti-Pay sentiment on here is really unnecessary - a lot of armchair coaches in our midst. Of course problems still persist, but we should put our faith with Pay that he knows what is best for our circumstances.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
So what if our wins are 'ugly'? Dean Pay has clearly assessed the situation at our club and decided that this is the most suitable method of doing things at this very moment with what we have. I have to say the Anti-Pay sentiment on here is really unnecessary - a lot of armchair coaches in our midst. Of course problems still persist, but we should put our faith with Pay that he knows what is best for our circumstances.
So once he "assessed" the situation he can't assess the current game in hand? Where was the assessment last night?

I'm not arrogant or want to start a fight but FMD I really don't know how anyone can claim they know football but yet defend pay over last night's loss.

He can't assess and adapt. Can't develop a game plan let alone a back up plan and clearly still has no idea how to use a bench.

PS winning ugly is another way of saying we make it harder for ourselves to win, which means our players pay a higher toll to scrape a win. I don't want to win 30+ every game.

PPS I'm not pro or anti pay, I call a spade a spade. If, and that's a big IF, he can fix his obvious flaws then I don't care if he stays. I just want a coach who has the best interest for OUR club.

He has had 2 years now, if and when we miss out on finals again next year, he should be shown the door and replaced by a Real coach.

Delta

Kennel Established
Reaction score
So once he "assessed" the situation he can't assess the current game in hand? Where was the assessment last night?

I'm not arrogant or want to start a fight but FMD I really don't know how anyone can claim they know football but yet defend pay over last night's loss.

He can't assess and adapt. Can't develop a game plan let alone a back up plan and clearly still has no idea how to use a bench.

PS winning ugly is another way of saying we make it harder for ourselves to win, which means our players pay a higher toll to scrape a win. I don't want to win 30+ every game.
Well simply regarding last night, I just don't believe there was a reason to adapt before the game.

We had won 4 in a row and 6 from our last 8 and were up against the lowly Cowboys.

Why change a winning formula?

I'll say this though, Pay knows how to change a losing formula.

He saw what happened earlier in the year - assessed the situation - and was like, you know what? If we knuckle down our defence, we will fare better in attack.

This seems to be the plan every week since. We let 1 try in a game, CHN/Napa/Holland are no longer missing tackles and we are grinding out wins (I believe Lewis over Cogger is also due to this plan because of Lewis defence)

With regards to backup plan and the bench, it is a interesting thing that happened last night regarding Cogger/Foran. The Cowboys had used up all but one interchange with 20 to go and we still had 3 - 4. I'm not too sure what happened here with the Cowboys, but we should have been able to exploit it.

Also I think Pay should have taken into account the climate - you could see that the players were really struggling under the heat even though they have been around since Tuesday.

I don't believe there is a way to win 'not ugly' right now. Our strike players are limited and I think the defensive mindset gameplan is what suits us the best.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Well simply regarding last night, I just don't believe there was a reason to adapt before the game.

We had won 4 in a row and 6 from our last 8 and were up against the lowly Cowboys.

He saw what happened earlier in the year - assessed the situation - and was like, you know what? If we knuckle down our defence, we will fare better in attack.

This seems to be the plan every week since. We let 1 try in a game, CHN/Napa/Holland are no longer missing tackles and we are grinding out wins (I believe Lewis over Cogger is also due to this plan because of Lewis defence)

With regards to backup plan and the bench, it is a interesting thing that happened last night regarding Cogger/Foran. The Cowboys had used up all but one interchange with 20 to go and we still had 3 - 4. I'm not too sure what happened here with the Cowboys, but we should have been able to exploit it.

Also I think Pay should have taken into account the climate - you could see that the players were really struggling under the heat even though they have been around since Tuesday.

I don't believe there is a way to win 'not ugly' right now. Our strike players are limited and I think the defensive mindset gameplan is what suits us the best.
You avoid my main question, why didn't he assess and adapt DURING the game? I'm not talking about before the game.

Even some of us "armchair coaches" could see and had ideas what was happening with about 25 to go and still he fucked it up. Any fresh legs would of won it for us, especially with a fresh half who at least would of been another chance to take a FG.

Delta

Kennel Established
Reaction score
You avoid my main question, why didn't he assess and adapt DURING the game?
It was 2-2 at half time and there were no signs that the Cowboys had any master plan that totally would out-play us. Pay probably just knuckled down on the plan before the game. Also I don't think coaches change the entire strategy of the team (not sure on this) but instead just tell the players to try a couple of tactics - like Player A is a bit lazy shifting with the defence, throw an inside ball to exploit the gap... this is definitely what all coaches do.

In the end, I just think that our tactics let us down (hitting CHN with short ball didn't work, Elliot passing in the line didn't work) but our strategy - the defensive orientated mindset is suitable for our circumstances and was correctly used last night.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Well he certainly didn't "adapt" to Dallin getting injured last week, he just trotted him out again.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
It was 2-2 at half time and there were no signs that the Cowboys had any master plan that totally would out-play us. Pay probably just knuckled down on the plan before the game. Also I don't think coaches change the entire strategy of the team (not sure on this) but instead just tell the players to try a couple of tactics - like Player A is a bit lazy shifting with the defence, throw an inside ball to exploit the gap... this is definitely what all coaches do.

In the end, I just think that our tactics let us down (hitting CHN with short ball didn't work, Elliot passing in the line didn't work) but our strategy - the defensive orientated mindset is suitable for our circumstances and was correctly used last night.
You may be right brother but it's worrying. Pay has not improved as a coach at all in 2 seasons now. Still making mistakes he made when he started.

I just can't fathom why in the hell how he couldn't see the problem with 25 to go... oh well, next year will be another 25 weeks of torture for us.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
PS why would pay drop Cogger who was improving every game INSTANTLY for an underperforming Lewis.

Didn't Cogger start our winning run? I know he is not our saviour at the moment but I really think if Cogger played last night, we would of won.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
We do not need anymore fringe forwards.

Only forward we need is a big name forward or Luke Thompson from the ESL
Agree. Any signing we make should be a starting 13 player..we already have enough players to fill our bench and reserves.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
PS why would pay drop Cogger who was improving every game INSTANTLY for an underperforming Lewis.

Didn't Cogger start our winning run? I know he is not our saviour at the moment but I really think if Cogger played last night, we would of won.
Pay did the footy equivalent of parking the bus in soccer going with Lewis over Cogger.

It got us a few wins but you need a lot to go your way in arm wrestle games and as soon as a few things don't go your way in a game you're in deep shit.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
So sad how no one wants to come here
I think it’s more they want more money and we can’t afford that due to Des and Co. I’m pretty happy with the signings we have made in our situation

Delta

Kennel Established
Reaction score
You may be right brother but it's worrying. Pay has not improved as a coach at all in 2 seasons now. Still making mistakes he made when he started.

I just can't fathom why in the hell how he couldn't see the problem with 25 to go... oh well, next year will be another 25 weeks of torture for us.

Fair enough. I still have faith in Pay because of 3 reasons:
1. Individual improvement - under Pay, DWZ, Cogger, JMK, To'omanga, RFM, Meaney, CHN have had massive improvements.
2. Team improvement - the team is improving
3. Recruitment plan - clever, calculated, strategic. Hasler never had a strategy.

As for Cogger, I do believe that as I said before that I believe Pay's plan is defense orientated. I don't think Cogger would have pulled off those try saving tackles on Nathan Cleary, James Roberts, Shane Wright.

Anyways..

surfdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bigger offer from the riff...ok. reuniting with " super coach Barrett " that's just funny.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Turbo bros turned us down?

No way dude, i find that extremely hard to believe.

I always thought of the Turbo bros as Manly thru n thru. Loyal from the start to the end. Shame on the ***** for not choosing us over them
We definitely didn't turn them down lol.

We made enquiries and they shut it down pretty quickly. Mate loyalty only goes so far but these two are Manly thru n thru as this proves it. Just a shame Des wasn't lol

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Pardon my ignorance, but what's Barretts role with Penrith?

Doomsdaydog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We definitely didn't turn them down lol.

We made enquiries and they shut it down pretty quickly. Mate loyalty only goes so far but these two are Manly thru n thru as this proves it. Just a shame Des wasn't lol
I forgot to add "sarcasm" to my point