Irresponsible and negligent management from Pay

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Seems like there is a vast majority on the forum who get a kick and thrill out of the dogs losing instead of winning
whilst i agree certain people do fit that description.. some us are also realist and knew that we were witnessing a bit of a false dawn.. there are still big question marks over some of pays decisions. The cogger situation is dumbfounding TBH.. just like the Holland and R.Smith combo of late last year.. we find a potent attacking combo and then Pay decides to split them up ... Cogger starts to really find his feet in the team and is showing some real great promise and then he relegates him to the bench ... just puzzling TBH..

Downtowndog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The reason Bulldogs started to win games in recent weeks is because the players have been put on notice, perform or you won't be here beyond 2020 that's from the Anderson's. This has nothing to do with Dean Pay, as I said before he ain't a FG coach.
The players and the entire administration was put on notice way before the season kicked off.

The main reason we have won games at the backend of the season was the addition of DWZ to our team

Downtowndog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
whilst i agree certain people do fit that description.. some us are also realist and knew that we were witnessing a bit of a false dawn.. there are still big question marks over some of pays decisions. The cogger situation is dumbfounding TBH.. just like the Holland and R.Smith combo of late last year.. we find a potent attacking combo and then Pay decides to split them up ... Cogger starts to really find his feet in the team and is showing some real great promise and then he relegates him to the bench ... just puzzling TBH..
I absolutely agree with you

The most puzzling thing which will also decide Pays future is next seasons team selections.

Api and JMK will both be in the 17, who starts is irrelevant at this stage.

Foran, Cogger and Lewis battling it out for the 2 spots, so one will miss out and cannot be carried on the bench. I hope he picks correctly and sticks to it, without changing every fortnight. imo Brandon Wakeham shits all over the 3 and should be a starter next year with a good preseason on the weights, gear and tackling some cattle out in the bush.

Correct me if I am wrong but isnt Foran, Lewis and Cogger all off contract next year?

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I absolutely agree with you

The most puzzling thing which will also decide Pays future is next seasons team selections.

Api and JMK will both be in the 17, who starts is irrelevant at this stage.

Foran, Cogger and Lewis battling it out for the 2 spots, so one will miss out and cannot be carried on the bench. I hope he picks correctly and sticks to it, without changing every fortnight. imo Brandon Wakeham shits all over the 3 and should be a starter next year with a good preseason on the weights, gear and tackling some cattle out in the bush.

Correct me if I am wrong but isnt Foran, Lewis and Cogger all off contract next year?
yes they are..

And yeah i agree about Wakeham .. the kid is a natural half .. in other words has a halves brain .. lets hope the cautious first grade coaching approach, doesn't force that instinct out of him..

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As I said earlier it’s clearly a joke. Everyone knows Des signed him but Pay seems to get the blame for everything else. We are starting to sound like dragons supporters
Yes we are....happy with mediocre footy.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Yes we are....happy with mediocre footy.
You don’t have to like it but we are heading in the right direction. Our clubs was absolutely torn apart by Des and our previous management. You can’t fix things overnight

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They looked shagged up there in the heat yet it was third week in a row we've played with 16.
But thats not pays fault its the players lol ha ha. Pays players, roster, structures, game plans, everything, but its not pays fault hes so fucking useless, its the players lets just keep blaming them and dumping them and buy bellamys players.
So funny, the pay fan boys just keep wanting to build something, they dont know what but there building it.
Only clubs that dont build have won every fucking premietship since 2004.
And go out every year to win another one.
Rugby league is simplier than people realize. Now fucking get on with it or sack the fucking coach.

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No one bitched about it when we won the last two games
Quite a few of us did actually.

I get what you are saying but how many times do you see a coach hook the main half in a game?
How many times do you see a coach put an extra half on the bench (3 games in a row) and not use them?

It makes no sense to waste a bench spot for someone who's ONLY chance to get on the field is if someone gets injured.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Quite a few of us did actually.

How many times do you see a coach put an extra half on the bench (3 games in a row) and not use them?

It makes no sense to waste a bench spot for someone who's ONLY chance to get on the field is if someone gets injured.
I agree but unfortunately our previous administration spent a massive chunk of our salary cap on a busted half. It’s a shit situation to be in. Funnily enough when we were winning a lot of people were talking about re-signing Foran too

obje

Kennel Established
Reaction score
8-8 with 3 minutes to go
Disallowed try that shouldve been given
Try given that shouldve been disallowed
Bodgy pass on the field goal attempt
Most motivated opposition playing infront of a full home stadium
Histrionic thinking this was a terrible performance

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
8-8 with 3 minutes to go
Disallowed try that shouldve been given
Try given that shouldve been disallowed
Bodgy pass on the field goal attempt
Most motivated opposition playing infront of a full home stadium
Histrionic thinking this was a terrible performance
you want to focus on things that are out of our control, id rather focus on things the coach and our team can control ...

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
you want to focus on things that are out of our control, id rather focus on things the coach and our team can control ...
Exactly right. Forget the what ifs.

Play and coach what's happening on the field now.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Exactly right. Forget the what ifs.

Play and coach what's happening on the field now.
That also probably means stop keeping a halfback on the bench for 80 minutes up your sleeve... just in case.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
That also probably means stop keeping a halfback on the bench for 80 minutes up your sleeve... just in case.
there wasnt a better time to use a "just in case" half then there was last night...

The defense focused approach is great in many ways, but can also breed negative traits especially in attack ..

Just dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb..

upload_2019-8-30_11-27-53.png

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
Straight up I'll take that loss on the chin. We weren't as bad as people make out. We took em down to the wire... Honestly we were due for a loss anyway, the wig I want is Bronocs down here next week!

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Straight up I'll take that loss on the chin. We weren't as bad as people make out. We took em down to the wire... Honestly we were due for a loss anyway, the wig I want is Bronocs down here next week!
Hope you get your wig.

obje

Kennel Established
Reaction score
what makes you think others arent focused on what they can control?

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think it is justified to be that critical of Pay here... because DWZ was cleared by Ayoub, the doctor.

Regardless Pay has put the club on the correct trajectory.

The management issue I see here is Foran. He was clearly injured or at the bare minimum reduced to ineffectiveness. Why wasn't Cogger utilised? Isn't this like the only reason why we have him on the bench?
Agree with 1st point.

Re Foran on tv they said it was about 80% humidity up there and had been 27 during the day. Foran was gassed due to this and also being targeted by running forwards all game.

Do agree though that Cogger could have got on late for someone though.

James zac

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok we got beat we were less than slim chance making the 8 we avoided the spoon we improved a lot from last year teams moving forward not backwards be happy with that I’m optimistic about 2020 Looking forward to that let’s see what the offseason brings be positive

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
When we win its the players, when we lose its the players.

The good coaches are better man managers than "tactical" coaches. I'm not for or against Pay. The attitude of players on and off the field is a reflection on the coach.

There has been some people this year consistently crying and bitching to bring in Holbrook, Flanagan and so on. They have a conception that for example - Justin Holbrook would turn JMK into a Damien Cook, Lewis into a Cooper Cronk, Ogden into a Taumalolo and so forth.

Paul Gallen once said while in camp for the allstars game, Wayne Bennett who was coach was taking the piss out of Gallen on how shit the Sharks were and Gallen told him, "why dont you come and coach us supercoach?" Wayne Bennett reply to Gallen was, I'm a good coach, not a miracle worker
Last night the players were obviously out on their feet, we had subs left including a fresh half, which was badly needed. Pay not knowing how to read a game or use the bench cost us big time.