News Brisbane Broncos star David Fifita declares his allegiance to the club

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Queensland Origin star David Fifita is set to stay loyal to Brisbane and shun a massive offer from this week’s opponents Parramatta in a Broncos coup ahead of tomorrow night’s clash with the Eels.

The Courier-Mail can reveal the Fifita camp has instructed the Broncos to work on a contract extension that will secure the back-row wrecking ball beyond 2020 and stave-off poaching raids from 10 NRL rivals.

The Eels and Warriors have been heavily linked with Fifita, with Parramatta reported to be putting together a four-year, $4 million mega deal to lure Brisbane’s hottest back-row prospect in 20 years to Sydney.

But Fifita has told Broncos hierarchy he has no interest in living in New Zealand or leaving Queensland and will agree to an extension if the Broncos table a competitive deal.

The Broncos don’t lose players they want to keep – Matt Lodge, Tevita Pangai Jr and Jake Turpin took less to stay last month – and now Brisbane will ramp-up the Fifita retention mission.

Brisbane bosses will kick-off formal talks after the Eels clash, with the club setting aside at least $700,000 in their salary cap for 2021 in the first step towards making Fifita a Bronco for life.

The 19-year-old is off-contract at the end of next season, meaning rival clubs can table formal offers from November 1 this year.

A staggering 10 NRL clubs have lodged expressions of interest in Fifita, with some suitors indicating they are prepared to pay almost $1 million annually for the brutal hard-running that catapulted him into the Origin arena this season as a teenager.

But the battle for Fifita’s signature has taken a compelling twist.

The Broncos have met with Fifita’s mother Gwen, who played a key role in brokering his current NRL contract. Fifita still lives at home and Gwen has informed the Broncos her son has no intention to leave with the parties to commence extension talks from next week.

While Fifita could earn more elsewhere, the cheaper cost of living in Brisbane is a factor, as is the Broncos’ network of third-party sponsorships and corporate opportunities for a Queensland Origin young gun.

Fifita’s manager Steve Deacon said it would take an extraordinary offer to prise the 108kg forward sensation from Red Hill.

“I’ve told clubs if you are going to have a crack at Dave, you will have to have a big crack,” he said.

“They will have to pay a fair bit more to lure Dave away from Brisbane. Clubs will have to go a lot harder. There’s no use being around the same figure as the Broncos.

“The Broncos are a good club and Dave is a very level-headed kid. He still lives at home with his family and his family were a big part of the deal last time.

“It’s my job to create and present opportunities for him and at the end of the day it will be Dave’s decision what he wants to do.”

Broncos teammate Alex Glenn said he would be stunned if Fifita quit the club.

“I’ve never seen a young back-rower like him,” he said. “He and Payne (Haas) are on another level.

“He is going to get huge dollars out there and the club will do as much as they can. I wish them well to keep him.”

https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...b/news-story/0b077563d6d9490990afa80ef1e4b9fb

Sleeky

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
I hope Brisbane or Parra sign him in mega bucks and he turns into a dud (highly unlikely but one can dream). I would be so happy

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Talk about proof of corruption at it's finest. In what other sport would a player attracting that much attention not at least put himself on the market to try and get more out of his current club?

Who even considers settling for 700k when they could get up to $1 million plus and start a bidding war? This just proves that the Broncos will pay him full value by cheating the cap yet the NRL and the other clubs do nothing about it.

When the best players all play for the 4 or 5 power clubs and never go to market to get full value then you know you have a farce of a competition. Fifita staying with Brisbane is bad for the game. Imagine how much it would improve the balance of the comp and league in NZ if he went to the Warriors?

zappa

Punk in Drublic
Reaction score
From the article last December that supposedly outlined all the club’s TPA’s.....

For example if two clubs flagged letters of offer to the NRL for a player that were around $700,000, and the player instead accepted a deal at a third club worth just $500,000 with no registered TPAs, that would present a red flag.

So if the Broncos sign him for $700K and 3 other teams offer 1 Million plus, then I would expect that Brisbane would have to openly declare the substantial TPA used to get his signature. He obviously doesn’t have to accept more money, but no young bloke is going to knock back a potential 1.5 million over 4-5 years.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Talk about proof of corruption at it's finest. In what other sport would a player attracting that much attention not at least put himself on the market to try and get more out of his current club?

Who even considers settling for 700k when they could get up to $1 million plus and start a bidding war? This just proves that the Broncos will pay him full value by cheating the cap yet the NRL and the other clubs do nothing about it.

When the best players all play for the 4 or 5 power clubs and never go to market to get full value then you know you have a farce of a competition. Fifita staying with Brisbane is bad for the game. Imagine how much it would improve the balance of the comp and league in NZ if he went to the Warriors?
I definitely agree. League players don't earn enough to just reject an extra $300k a year like that

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
He will break contract at end up at another club, will get to big to quick as has happened an will walk. Great player though and deserves big money. Let’s just hope being so young he doesn’t have a massive fall from grace..!!