Have we over achieved in 2019

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
No I don’t think we have overachieved at all we didn’t really start playing football until the the last six or so weeks and that coincides with signing DWZ and I reckon he’s exceeded most people’s expectations. We don’t sign him we are fighting the titans for the spoon.That said I’ve got far higher expectations for next year than I did for this year.

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Said it a while back you don't have to be that good to make the 8,scrapping the 8 would of been reasonable an a good platform to build off for next year, I don't feel any reason to be excited over a late surge when our season was pretty much fucked.same result last year happened look how it turned out. Its make or break next year that's for sure .
Exactly bro. Some people here are acting like dean gay is our Moses or something for getting some end of year wins. This all means naught when we look at the facts. Which is we still didn’t make the 8 and had an absolute shot year. Having some fancy wins doesn’t mean anything. Next year will come and if gay is still coach we’ll have the same as last year and this year. With pro gay supporters blaming everyone and everything else besides how shit gay is

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Accepting mediocrity I see. We haven't overachieved at all. In fact this is definitely another failed season. Its been 15 fucking years now. I want my fucking premiership. Ever heard the saying "you win it or you dont".

longy0303

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
without a doubt we have overachieved. people say we finished 12th last year, great, we lost a bunch of internationals as well. Seeing as 90% of all experts (commentators who have played NRL, at the highest levels) tipped us to win the wooden spoon this year. I am going to have a guess and go with what these experts might have a little more knowledge than abdul on this site whose 3rd cousin plays for a team sponsored by a punchbowl kebab shop, even though abdul attends 2 live games a year with friends and watches the bulldogs play most weeks while taking selfies on facebook. There is a reason we where absolute favourites to win the wooden spoon at the start of the year - people look at your available roster.

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Accepting mediocrity I see. We haven't overachieved at all. In fact this is definitely another failed season. Its been 15 fucking years now. I want my fucking premiership. Ever heard the saying "you win it or you dont".
So good to see other people besides myself and a few other “fake supporters” not buying into this mediocrity. Like you said you either win it or you don’t. And for the “real supporters” claiming we’re doing so well because there’s a mathematical chance we can make the 8 are delusional

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
No. Because competing is all about attitude and these guys have only bought it for about 2 months of the season instead of all season. That’s not over achieving

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
So good to see other people besides myself and a few other “fake supporters” not buying into this mediocrity. Like you said you either win it or you don’t. And for the “real supporters” claiming we’re doing so well because there’s a mathematical chance we can make the 8 are delusional
For all it’s worth, we were favorites for the wooden spoon before a ball was even kicked. We can finish anywhere between 8th and 12th now. Just stating the facts

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes we have some weak players but i said from early on deans coaching was horrendous at the start of the season and we should of been playing alot better at least we are coming good now

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
For all it’s worth, we were favorites for the wooden spoon before a ball was even kicked. We can finish anywhere between 8th and 12th now. Just stating the facts
Manly were favourites to finish there abouts as all. Those “facts” aren’t actual facts. But ok.
The facts are simply we’ve underachieved and dean gay needs to piss off. He tried and failed.

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yes we have some weak players but i said from early on deans coaching was horrendous at the start of the season and we should of been playing alot better at least we are coming good now
Na dean gay super coach.

budgie69

Waterboy
Reaction score
By about 3 months only.

It's not an acceptable excuse.

Haas, Fifita, Staggs, Deardon? Ogahen, Flegler, Turpin, Carrigan, Perese ...oldest 22.

yes and they are struggling and inconsistent as well and may still miss the 8 plus they are getting all the right calls from the Ref as well

budgie69

Waterboy
Reaction score
Exactly. We lack those few key players that you need if you're going to be a genuine Premiership threat while the squad is also a little unbalanced, but the ability is there and we're seeing it right now.

Like I've said previously, that Manly and Raiders games we lost were massive, Manly were missing key players while Raiders were missing half their team, we should've done better in them. That's an extra 4 points. An improved start with us focusing on defence like we're doing now and a much better pre season and there's our for and against cut back and potentially another win or two. These things happen and we're now sitting inside the 8 and I'm praising Pay lol.

Please and the the Sharks, Souths , Penrith, Parra would say the same about the games against us ... they were suppose to be beat us and beat us by plenty .. goes both ways .. you dont think we over achieved in those games? .. yes agree we should have won the 2 games you are talking about but i dont think we were the better side in the sharks game

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Please and the the Sharks, Souths , Penrith, Parra would say the same about the games against us ... they were suppose to be beat us and beat us by plenty .. goes both ways .. you dont think we over achieved in those games? .. yes agree we should have won the 2 games you are talking about but i dont think we were the better side in the sharks game
You think Sharks were the better team on the day?
Neither team were great that day but Sharks were diabolical (whether their own doing or ours) and absolutely deserved to lose.

budgie69

Waterboy
Reaction score
Gold Coast, Tigers and Cowboys definitely have a worse roster and I would day we are equal with the Warriors and Dragons

your kidding right ... Dragons have 3 current origin players in their side plus McInnes who would be if it wasnt for cook ... where is your comparison to our squad

budgie69

Waterboy
Reaction score
You think Sharks were the better team on the day?
Neither team were great that day but Sharks were diabolical (whether their own doing or ours) and absolutely deserved to lose.
I agree they played badly but from our doing and if Townsend goes through the hand at the end they win dumb plays by them but nothing to do with us ... just showign the point about missign the Raiders game and Manly games .. we have had games we should have lost as well

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree they played badly but from our doing and if Townsend goes through the hand at the end they win dumb plays by them but nothing to do with us ... just showign the point about missign the Raiders game and Manly games .. we have had games we should have lost as well
I get what you are saying but there is a different between games you are expected to lose and games you should have lost.

I think in the games we won we were obviously expected to lose, however, I wouldnt say that we should have lost them.
It might not have been pretty at times, but especially in the back end of the year, the boys really played for eachother and ground out the wins - IMO, we deserved the wins.

On the flip side, games like the first one against the Storm and the games against the Raiders and Manly; again we were expected to lose, however, we were right in these games and just missed our opportunities to win. The game against Melbourne, I would go so far as to say that we were actually the better team on the day and hands down deserved that win but for some contentious calls (Standard).

budgie69

Waterboy
Reaction score
I get what you are saying but there is a different between games you are expected to lose and games you should have lost.

I think in the games we won we were obviously expected to lose, however, I wouldnt say that we should have lost them.
It might not have been pretty at times, but especially in the back end of the year, the boys really played for eachother and ground out the wins - IMO, we deserved the wins.

On the flip side, games like the first one against the Storm and the games against the Raiders and Manly; again we were expected to lose, however, we were right in these games and just missed our opportunities to win. The game against Melbourne, I would go so far as to say that we were actually the better team on the day and hands down deserved that win but for some contentious calls (Standard).
i agree with what your saying .. but i still think regardless of what people are saying here is that we did over achieve because no expert or most fans would have said we would have made the 8 this year

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
This time last year we'd scored 122 points more, while our defense is freakishly nearly bang on where it was last year. We were almost scoring 1 converted try extra a game last year.

I feel we just look a bit better because there's a larger amount of mediocre teams this year.