Bulldogs Live To Fight Another Week

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
By The Barry / Roar Guru

Earlier in the week I mapped out an unlikely pathway for the Bulldogs to make the semi-finals.

There were a few variables but I wrote about what I saw as the path of least resistance. Path of least resistance is, of course, a relative term. Even the straightforward route to September required the Bulldogs to win all three of their games and have 11 other results go their way.

A 14-game multi placed this likelihood at a tick under 13,000/1.
While there are two games remaining in Round 23, the Storm versus Titans and Raiders versus Sea Eagles clashes don’t have a direct impact on the Dogs’ season, so we can review the weekend that was and start looking towards the horizon.

All in all, miracle week one went exceptionally well. Canterbury’s season could have been over on Thursday night, but they cleared the first hurdle by winning a typically furious encounter against the Eels.
The Dogs also needed upset victories from the Cowboys and the Rabbitohs who duly obliged. Three from three. Only 11 to go.

Come Saturday the Bulldogs required an even more unlikely result. The Warriors to win at PointsBet Stadium (aka Shark Park).
42-16 to the Sharks. This put the Dogs into sudden death.

Originally, Dogs fans were rooting for the Knights to beat the Tigers. That changed with the Sharks’ win and suddenly we’d donned the black, white and gold. Fortune was again on the Bulldogs’ side with the Tigers recording a huge 46-4 win.
So the mighty Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs’ unlikely semi-final hopes somehow roll on into the penultimate round.
From here there are no second chances. Every result has to go this way.

In Round 24 the Bulldogs need to win against the Cowboys in Townsville and the Eels to beat the Broncos in Brisbane. The biggest risk of all comes with the Titans somehow turning their season around and beating the Knights in Newcastle. At Old Boys Day, no less. From there it’s the slightly more certain Roosters to beat the Panthers and then the 15th-placed Dragons over the Tigers, both games at the SCG.

Should all of that occur, Round 25 looks relatively straight forward requiring the Dogs to beat the Broncos on Saturday afternoon and a super Sunday series of scores with the Sharks to win at Leichhardt and the Knights to bounce back against the Panthers.

All of a sudden the odds have come into about 165/1. Only the most optimistic fan would view that as a positive, but it’s far better than the 13,000/1 we were at a couple of days ago.

Bring on Thursday.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great write up! It would be awesome if we are still within a chance going into the final round.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The biggest risk of all comes with the Titans somehow turning their season around and beating the Knights in Newcastle. At Old Boys Day, no less. From there it’s the slightly more certain Roosters to beat the Panthers and then the 15th-placed Dragons over the Tigers, both games at the SCG.
Providing the dogs beat the cowboys, this is where I see it all coming to an end, just can't see the titans winning, even though they did well today, and if there is any team competing with the titans for sheer woefulness, it is the dragons, can't see them beating tigers.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Providing the dogs beat the cowboys, this is where I see it all coming to an end, just can't see the titans winning, even though they did well today, and if there is any team competing with the titans for sheer woefulness, it is the dragons, can't see them beating tigers.
Yeah I can’t see both of them going our way and I think the Broncos will beat the Eels too.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
It’s not over until the fat lady sings next week !! And that she may, but at least there’s still a little hope!!

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah, I give the Drags less hope than the Tits (albeit marginal). At least the Titans put in about 30 minutes against the Storm.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
165/1 !!! Awsome odds. I will have a lazy lobster on that for sure.8-)

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
At the the end of the day we are still long odds to make it and we can only blame ourselves for losing to Manly and Raiders CC teams.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
At the the end of the day we are still long odds to make it and we can only blame ourselves for losing to Manly and Raiders CC teams.
Exactly what I was going to say. How frustrating to be even here given those two games should’ve been in the bag. Clearly in or out of the 8 is one thing, but a Hail Mary when it didn’t need to be this way...sigh.

Spudowsky

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Knights are a basket case at the moment so a titans win isn't out of the question.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think the Broncos will be the biggest hurdle, I can't see them losing 3 in a row to end the season.

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Eels will beat Broncos pretty easy.
Titans can beat the knights and are due for a win, i think they could be more desperate to break their losing streak
Saints on paper should beat Tigers but they have been a basket case of a team..

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not many thought we would still be in contention, no matter how mathematical, to make the 8 with 2 rounds to go