News 'I wish he hit me front on': DWZ unimpressed Brown's charge

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Christian Nicolussi
By Christian Nicolussi
August 23, 2019 — 5.08pm

Dallin Watene-Zelezniak is expected to be cleared of a serious shoulder injury and only wished Parramatta firebrand Nathan Brown had made the effort to smash him ''front on'' rather than blind-side him.

Brown was charged with a grade-two shoulder charge and will miss the remaining two regular-season games against Brisbane and Manly with an early plea.

Winger Reimis Smith is also expected to spend a week on the sidelines for his attempted headbutt on Eels winger Maika Sivo during the wild western derby on Thursday night won 12-6 by the Bulldogs.

How Smith will miss one game and Brown just the two matches for flattening Watene-Zelezniak – and after three failed previous attempts in the first half – left a few Belmore types scratching their heads on Friday. Only a couple of weeks earlier, Canterbury feared they would lose Chris Smith for one game after a hit that was nowhere near as savage as Brown's 49th-minute bell-ringer.

Watene-Zelezniak was clearly unimpressed with the Eels lock forward who was called a ''f---ing wanker'' by Dogs skipper Josh Jackson as he was being spoken to by officials. A melee erupted before Brown was set upon again at full-time by a few fired-up Canterbury players.

That's how he plays. I don't know what he was going for. I saw the replay and it was pretty bad.
Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
"He came in from the side. I heard he might be in trouble. It would have been good had he come at me front on,'' Watene-Zelezniak said.

"That's how he plays. I don't know what he was going for.

"I saw the replay and it was pretty bad. I had the last laugh.''

Watene-Zelezniak received a painkilling injection and returned to the field ten minutes later.

Watene-Zelezniak, whose arrival at Canterbury nine weeks ago from the Panthers has coincided with six wins, praised Jackson and the rest of the players for rallying around him when he was floored by Brown.

"I wish I was amongst it, but I couldn't move my shoulder,'' Watene-Zelezniak said.

"I love playing with these boys. We have an amazing captain in Josh Jackson. I'm grateful to have him in this team. These boys have the belief we can do something special. Parramatta are one of the better teams but it was a gritty win. We've still got a lot of work to do. We scrambled well and turned up for each other.''

Canterbury coach Dean Pay confirmed on Friday that his star No. 1 was a chance to play against the Cowboys in six days time. Pay was not prepared to risk Watene-Zelezniak's health but also expected the Kiwi international to pester him for a start.

It was a torrid night for Watene-Zelezniak, who was belted earlier in the game by Sivo. The sound of the shot echoed around Bankwest Stadium as more than 18,000 fans enjoyed the constant replays on the big screen.

Watene-Zelezniak was seen in the sheds discussing his shoulder injury with Billy Slater, the legendary fullback who had his share of shoulder issues during his wonderful career.

Eels skipper Clint Gutherson said Brown was an integral part of the team and a player ''who sets the tone for our forwards''.

"He brings aggression to the team. He was given ten minutes in the bin and hopefully it stays like that,'' the skipper said before the charges were released.

The Bulldogs were in a wooden-spoon shootout with the Gold Coast Titans just a couple of months ago but are now just two points outside the right.

The return of five-eighth Kieran Foran can not be underestimated in the past fortnight, nor Watene-Zelezniak's tough runs to start the sets.

Interestingg

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Great news that the injury doesn’t seem serious. If results don’t go our way though and the 8 becomes impossible, I’d rest him. He deserves a rest more than anyone in the comp

dogsballs

Kennel Established
Reaction score
That was only worth two weeks? what a joke! Its the worst I've seen since they were supposed to be 'cracking down' on those types of shots he could have broken DWZ's neck.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
That’s one of the worst for ten years legit

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Eels skipper Clint Gutherson said Brown was an integral part of the team and a player ''who sets the tone for our forwards''.

"He brings aggression to the team".

That's not aggression, it's more like destruction of another players face or killing them! The guy is a loose cannon he needs to calm the fuck down otherwise he could end up killing someone! Dumb players like him should be taught a lesson and rubbed for a season, he needs to know he can't do that, and it also displays the ugly side of this sport, bringing it into disrupt!

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Positives in the article:

1) He may be cleared of serious injury and play against Cowboys.

2)How much he is loving the club and the boys and has already brought into the belief that the Dogs are on the rise to building something special.

3)Jacko calling old mate a fucking wanker, love the work El Capiton.

Honestly, I am starting to man crush on DWZ. What a champion bloke we picked up. Also, thought it was funny how he called out Edwards for not running at him front on and wish he could have been in amongst it with the boys when they stood up for him.

I swear our first game against the Eels next year will have fireworks. The boys will remember haha.

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That was only worth two weeks? what a joke! Its the worst I've seen since they were supposed to be 'cracking down' on those types of shots he could have broken DWZ's neck.
God bless the nrl! So consistent

liljohny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's moments like these when throwing a few uppercuts at a grub like Brown should be exempt from any judicial or on field punishment.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I didn’t have much time for Gutherson before Friday night but the more you hear from him the more of a fuck wit he is. I think it says it all when the bloke gives himself his own nickname in the “king”.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Play him next week if hes right lets have a crack at this

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

"He brings aggression to the team".

That's not aggression, it's more like destruction of another players face or killing them! The guy is a loose cannon he needs to calm the fuck down otherwise he could end up killing someone! Dumb players like him should be taught a lesson and rubbed for a season, he needs to know he can't do that, and it also displays the ugly side of this sport, bringing it into disrupt!
I love his other quote to the ref after the penalty try, "its football, what do you expect him to do with his legs?". Yeah, its football, it ain't soccer you fucking twat!!!

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Yeah this is where the NRL or MRC fail. When you get the opportunity for a open and shut case like this shoulder charge then you make an example of the player. Bloke should have got a minimum 4 weeks and possibly out to 6 weeks for that one. That's how you deter these idiots!

This year is already the worst I have seen in some time in regards to grubb behaviour on field and last night was further examples of it. Blatant elbows to the head, the players are out of control at the moment and the NRL are to blame for it through being weak.

Last edited:

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
DWZ is the inspiration for our boys. Just hearing him talk in interviews proves it. A true leader and hope his shoulder is ok. Just luv this guy. Brown is a coward and i hope someone gives it to him.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
DWZ is tough.. bounced straight back to his feet.. since this signing it has really inspired an changed everything within the playing group.. it’s Been a huge positive an he has really been a shining light..!!!

QLDdogsfan

Kennel Established
Reaction score
If brown did that to Cooper Cronk its 8 weeks, fucking MRC is a joke this season they have no idea.
DWZ your a absolute legend mate i was stoked when we signed him but had no idea the impact he would bring top bloke off the field aswell extend this man NOW!!!

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
I love his other quote to the ref after the penalty try, "its football, what do you expect him to do with his legs?". Yeah, its football, it ain't soccer you fucking twat!!!
It's a penalty in soccer too if you go in with the legs and hit the player instead of the ball. And they did it twice. If hop doesn't get the ball down for his try would have been 2 penalty tries in 1 match which I've never seen before.

They were filthy dirty the eels in that match, and still lost hahahah. They are gone week 1 in the finals