What has changed with doggies style.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Lachlan Lewis has a quality that cannot be expressed in stats... I'm still not sure what it is, but when he plays, things just seem to come together.
He has got to bulk up, do forwards sprint/skills training in the off season and transition to a Travis Norton/Wade Graham role. Just can't see him as a long term half. Defence is sensational and as tough as teak but he is too one dimensional to be a viable half.

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Anyone think it could be the release of Martin and change in staff eg new football manager, and others. Plus the arrival of DWZ .

Confidence and belief is a funny thing. Get everyone on the same page and you start heading in the right direction. Bit if luck helps as well ..
Couldn’t agree more on the DWZ piece mate, he has brought a huge amount of confidence that has rubbed off on the entire squad.

I’m amazed at the difference one player has made to our team...

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
We were the worst on line defence in the competition at some point in the season. That has turned around and now I'm confident when we're defending on the line. Foran and Lewis are linking up nicely and defensively Lewis is the best defensive Halfback in the competition. Lewis vs Cogger it's Lewis any day of the week and it has been this way since the start of the season for me. Our effort areas and second efforts are up there with Storm, Roosters, Raiders and Sea Eagles. DWZ signing was massive. There are a lot of other things, but overall all the positives and things we're doing right are rubbing off on every player, there literally wasn't a bad player/performance from anyone last night. Unlike some other teams we haven't given up on the season and we're playing for each other and especially the coach, which is great to see.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Glad your not coach . Lewis has saved that many tackles he goes alright . He has been a big difference for us
He's right though, Cogger is better than Lewis.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
We were the worst on line defence in the competition at some point in the season. That has turned around and now I'm confident when we're defending on the line. Foran and Lewis are linking up nicely and defensively Lewis is the best defensive Halfback in the competition. Lewis vs Cogger it's Lewis any day of the week and it has been this way since the start of the season for me. Our effort areas and second efforts are up there with Storm, Roosters, Raiders and Sea Eagles. DWZ signing was massive. There are a lot of other things, but overall all the positives and things we're doing right are rubbing off on every player, there literally wasn't a bad player/performance from anyone last night. Unlike some other teams we haven't given up on the season and we're playing for each other and especially the coach, which is great to see.
Nah definitely not. Lewis defensive technique is better and that's it. Cogger organises, controls, kicks, passes and engages the line better than Lewis. I like both players but Jacks been shafted just on defence alone, even though he was always putting his body on the line

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Yh he did and that's legit he's only play, a cutout ball to the winger or centre in space. Throughout the game his passing was awful..at players ankles, at their heads, behind them, slow, hitting the deck...he just doesn't have it and it has been there through all the grades with little improvement.

For the time being he is probably the right fit with us spoiling teams and limiting their scoring potential, but long-term it isn't a viable solution unless he makes major improvements.
This! He is so predictable in that action as he always does it yet his teammates still don't hit the ball cleanly, which means his passing is not accurate. I was praying he would just dummy and run for most of the contest as I was scared where the ball would end up. Once he gets that running game and has the threat of playing short I'll come around.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Nah definitely not. Lewis defensive technique is better and that's it. Cogger organises, controls, kicks, passes and engages the line better than Lewis. I like both players but Jacks been shafted just on defence alone, even though he was always putting his body on the line
I'm a Cogger fan as well but the Foran/Lewis combo might not be pretty, but it works. I would rather win tough and ugly consistently than win less frequently looking better. Cogger/Lewis will have their time together in the halves or hopefully someone feeds and muscles Lewis up over the break and he can wear the 13..

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
We are playing with more aggression in attack and defence.

The likes of Tolman. He no longer looks like he is running with cement in his boots. The same with all our players running harder.

Defensively, we are eager to get off our line faster and in their faces and more belief in each other to cover the man inside and out. Attitude comes to mind

Fitness. I can swear we had a very lazy off season. We looked sluggish and unfit early in the year. We couldn't keep up with the pace of games. We now look fitter and faster and the results are coming.
They were always fit, but lack of confidence makes players sluggish. They've found their style, and the confidence is sky high - that's why they are fitter and faster.

Mozzie

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I think Lewis is linking well with Foran. Cogger plays similarly to Foran (but no where near as good) so would not work as well together. I think the confusion over Lewis is that he seems to not fit in any one position. He seems to be a blend of a few positions player. Not sure if that is a good thing or if he will eventually end up a utility guy. I hope he bulks up and develops in to a ball playing lock! but he is no that at the moment.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
This! He is so predictable in that action as he always does it yet his teammates still don't hit the ball cleanly, which means his passing is not accurate. I was praying he would just dummy and run for most of the contest as I was scared where the ball would end up. Once he gets that running game and has the threat of playing short I'll come around.
Yh there just isn't a lot to his game, some people seem get so offended when you mention it though lol. He can pass the ball to Foran and throw a decent cutout to his backs in space...but everything thing else just isn't there.

Still think he needs to transition like Matterson, unsure how he will go as a running forward but defensively he will handle it and he could probably play that Murray or Trbojevic role and be that link through the middle. His intensity could also be a plus through the middle in the defence.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I don’t think the tactics have changed at all.
They’re just confident. With that, passes are sticking, kickers have time, the line speed has gone up a gear and the aggression in defense has stepped up.

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
In the final 15 - 30 seconds you will notice how good our defence has become. We communicate, we slide left and right based on the attacking plays and sudden changes in ball movement. We are adjusting as a team in full unison to maintain the defensive line. That is a massive difference compared to how we were defending earlier in the year, where we played like we only had 11 men on the field!

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
DWZ. Aggression, leadership and organisation from the back. Best mid season buy since Inu but he will be more consistent long term. His style of play and strong runs have inspired others in the team. Hoppa and Jackson have lifted. I have also noticed that Meaney has been running hard and making some strong carries. DWZ is the exact player that we needed and suits the bulldog culture. My favourite player in the team.

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
We are winning the ruck more , when your on top in the middle your edges have.time to set and aren't rushed into stupid decision. Look at last night, parramatta on top and their right side were looking like breaking us and should have been up by 12 in the 1st 20. Than we got on top and they lost the freedom and room. Same in attack when your forward are on top your halves can be more direct otherwise your sideways and have no room.

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lewis defence is great but his creativity with the ball on the last tackle is terrible he has no idea what to do apart from a bomb

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Lewis defence is great but his creativity with the ball on the last tackle is terrible he has no idea what to do apart from a bomb
His bombs aren't bad, but it definitely seems its his only option.