Kennel whipping boys....

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Everyone has an opinion on players in here but haven’t some of the whipping boys in the team really stood up in the last few weeks. Meaney, Tolman, Elliott , JMK, Napa and even C Smith have been fantastic. I love the fact that a few of them have left me with egg on my face and let’s hope they can start doing it consistently.

I had doubts and was critical of Jacko’s leadership but he has shut me up after last night and the last few games.

Let’s hope it continues.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yeah Pay. I’m half tempted to jump back on that train ..

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah Holland, another favourite Kennel whipping boy had a cracking game last night.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Good on you for putting your hand up Spoonman. Most of the coaches on here who have been far more critical than yourself, won’t do so.

I’ve personally been critical of Napa. Still not convinced that he’s worth what we’re paying him. But he’s run for 150m+ in 4 of the past 5 games, despite not playing massive minutes. Hopefully he continues to deliver such performances.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, they've been playing well, last night was great (love beating whatsthematterParramatta).

Doesn't mean they didn't deserve a baking for the crap form earlier in the year.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everyone has an opinion on players in here but haven’t some of the whipping boys in the team really stood up in the last few weeks. Meaney, Tolman, Elliott , JMK, Napa and even C Smith have been fantastic. I love the fact that a few of them have left me with egg on my face and let’s hope they can start doing it consistently.

I had doubts and was critical of Jacko’s leadership but he has shut me up after last night and the last few games.

Let’s hope it continues.
Mate, if players in professional sports don't hear the frustrations of fans then I doubt their attitudes would change any time soon. Fans' passion is what can get teams and individuals out of poor form and while I think fans of all kinds can get a little too personal, the opinions of all die hard fans are mostly warranted.

Rather than see yourself, me included with egg on our faces, see it as being constructive that maybe our comments are seen as motivation to start playing at their potentials we all expect. The four consecutive wins shows that we all knew every player has talent, backing up why our criticisms were warranted.

It doesn't make us any less loyal, just extremely passionate.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
They have been, Jmk and Meaney are two standouts by far, Napa getting the old bite back too!

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'd say Pay did some coaching and finally showed the boys a few snippets from TK. Definitely been fired up of late :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Elliot played good vs soufs.

Not impressed with last night. Chris Smith was much better than him last night and Chris Smith cops more shit

Still needs to be replaces

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Mate, if players in professional sports don't hear the frustrations of fans then I doubt their attitudes would change any time soon. Fans' passion is what can get teams and individuals out of poor form and while I think fans of all kinds can get a little too personal, the opinions of all die hard fans are mostly warranted.

Rather than see yourself, me included with egg on our faces, see it as being constructive that maybe our comments are seen as motivation to start playing at their potentials we all expect. The four consecutive wins shows that we all knew every player has talent, backing up why our criticisms were warranted.

It doesn't make us any less loyal, just extremely passionate.
I agree with you of course players deserve criticism but they also deserve credit when they play well. They have had a few good weeks and deserve the praise.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score

Let’s hope it continues.
What about the unrelenting hate for Hopoate ie @speedy2460

I ran a survey “would you release Hoppa at end of season, a year early”
There was like 80 odd votes. 43% said yes.

I can never understand the hate for this guy on the kennel.
He always puts in, prepared to put his body on the line.

7th in the NRL for run meters, 16th in NRL for post contact meters (more than any forward at the club) 20th in the NRL in tackle breaks (most at the club)

Last edited:

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I watched the post-match stuff on CH9 and it genuinely looked like there was a lot of love for Pay - all the boys were going up with a big smile on their faces and having some solid man-hugs with him...

There were all those stories on here earlier in the piece about players hating playing under him, no players wanting to come here etc. but it looked anything but last night.

Albeit, a few wins helps...

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

I ran a survey “would to release Hoppa at end of season, a year early”

7th in the NRL for run meters, 16th in NRL for post contact meters (more than any forward at the club) 20th in the NRL in tackle breaks (most at the club)
If Hoppa had just a bit more speed he would be the best back in the NRL. Unfortunately he doesn’t but he’s still a bloody good player.

Xander

Waterboy
Reaction score
In my short time on this forum (after a lifetime of being a maniacal Bulldogs supporter), I've had strong opinions on...

Dean Pay: I still don't think he's a first grade coach, but I must say that I've changed my tune on him. There was much talk about how he would bring the 'Bulldogs DNA' to the team and I feel that he's actually managed to do that. I don't rate him as a highly tactical or methodical coach but it is very evident that the team wants to perform for him and to work hard for each other. Johns and Fittler were saying that they've thrown the playbook out the window and are winning games based on completing sets, muscling up in defense and running hard. I must say that I'm all in favour.

Dylan Napa: I don't think he's worth what we are paying him but I'm actually really loving the fact that he speaks often about how he loves the Bulldogs and wants to be a Bulldog. It's been evident in his increased efforts over the past two months.

Aiden Tolman: I don't think he should ever be involved in attack when we're in the opposition's 30m zone but other than that, he puts his hand up every week and takes the hard carries/makes the big tackles.

I think that the qualities that our team is demonstrating may be enough to start luring the marquee players to town whereas I used to think that players would avoid our club like the plague simply because Pay is head coach.

I'll admit that I'm starting to change my tune!

doggy bill

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I watched the post-match stuff on CH9 and it genuinely looked like there was a lot of love for Pay - all the boys were going up with a big smile on their faces and having some solid man-hugs with him...

There were all those stories on here earlier in the piece about players hating playing under him, no players wanting to come here etc. but it looked anything but last night.

Albeit, a few wins helps...
I loved the freddy Hoppa and remis convo. Great to see the boys laughing.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If Hoppa had just a bit more speed he would be the best back in the NRL. Unfortunately he doesn’t but he’s still a bloody good player.
I don't think speed is the problem. Matt Gidley would not have been much faster than Hoppa but was best centre in the game. I reckon his problem is his versatility... if he had stuck to centre from the beginning of his career and had he not taken those 2 years off.. he would've developed nicely into a genuine top centre.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

I ran a survey “would you release Hoppa at end of season, a year early”

Hoppa’s been our best the last 2 years

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think it is fair to express an opinion on a players performance in a forum like this - don't think its a good idea to criticise junior players though, or express opinions about things we know nothing about. I have been critical of Meaney - but he is running the ball harder and fighting the tackle a lot more - credit to him. Lewis and tolman - defensively n commitment for the 80 minutes is outstanding - but in attack they struggle.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Yep, they've been playing well, last night was great (love beating whatsthematterParramatta).

Doesn't mean they didn't deserve a baking for the crap form earlier in the year.
This.

But everyone is very happy and recognises last night was a performance in keeping with the Bulldogs traditions and club ethos.

Nothing more: nothing less expected.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Let’s hope it continues.
Totally agree. Every single player in our team was good last night. There were no bad games.