Jack cogger

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Not sure mate, he needs some game time tbh.
Not really.. its end of season. Would rather Cogs be around the first team at all times, his still part of the future and this group ft.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Cogger will play plenty of 1st grade games with Canterbury over his career.
However team comes first and right now the team needs him on the bench to cover an injury to Foran.

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think we will keep him. He is an excellent Terry Lamb style player with a big future but we just don't have a position for him. Unless Foran goes down again but without Foran there we're just not there.
IMO, I'd say Cogger is more like Polla-Mounter than terry Lamb. Small, nuggety but tough & always willing to take the line on.

Lamb had alot more attacking flare and could set up his outside men better. Oh, and of course - Lamb was the best "Backer- Uperer" of all time. My favourite player & the best club footballer I've ever seen in my 40 years of watching the game. Oh the memories......

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What do we do from him. He’s just there for cover and it seems a bit of a waste. He’s been in good form so I feel for him but a backup hooker would be a good role for him to fill
I don't think he's the type or build to make 40 tackles a game so not suited to hooker. We should find a place for both him and Lewis in the team. We'd improve with Coggers attack but we would suffer defensively without Lewis. Cogger can create a try a game but Lewis usually saves at least one each game. I don't think Lewis could attack as a lock doing hit ups - he's not big enough but he would be large enough for hooker. He's also played centre a fair bit in reserve grade so maybe we could move him there and sacrifice Holland.

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
Not necessarily... the opportunity just hasn't presented itself in my opinion.
Agreed, team is in winning position, can't just throw him in and kill the flow. We aren't that good a team to keep playing 16 on 17. Brown would be better to use at 9 for 10 to 15 min. Who know We may be able to score 3 tries hell let's get crazy 4 tries.
You realise we’ve won both games?
Really , I didn't watch the game I was just watching and waiting for cogger to run on. So pay picks cogger as a back up if someone gets injured or until.we are losing. Makes sense, 22 rounds and that's his progress in game plan.

Last edited:

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What do we do from him. He’s just there for cover and it seems a bit of a waste. He’s been in good form so I feel for him but a backup hooker would be a good role for him to fill
Pay has created a culture that you need to fight your way in the team and even when you're in it you have to keep performing.

Cogger did nothing wrong but I think this example will ensure the players don't relax even for one game and that's what we need. Players fighting to stay in the team as much as trying to get into it. It will bring the best out of them and test their character. It's how you harden up. They will go from boys to men very quickly.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Lots of different opinions on what is the best for the team and for Jack Cogger.
One thing that is certain. You cannot break up Lewis and Foran.
Cogger is a quality first grade player and will get his chance. I'm sure he knows he is not being neglected.

#Paystays.

milkdog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
is there any chance he may not be able to play anymore cup games to qualify for finals in reserve grade? I haven't looked into it at all, it's just a thought. I thought when smith went to the bin lewis would of went centre, hoppa out the back and cogger gets some minutes. But we got the win and that was a cracking win so can't complain. Happy days.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Keiron Foran has been killing it and rightly so is first choice half AND Lachlan Lewis defence has kept us in the game the last few wins.

Cogger will get his opportunity but you can’t play him for the sake of playing him.

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Cogger is a team player as much as i feel for him his part of a Team which is making real progress and i am sure he would prefer to be in nrl on the bench tben reggies. In saying that i hope he is used in the next few games as i feel he would do well as a back up hooker

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
If Jackson is out I’d just move Lewis left edge back row, CHN to the right and Cogger comes in

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Cogger is the future and shouldn't be left sitting around like that, Fualalo could of been used to help the war effort.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those last 2 wins will be like gold for us moving forward. To have unnecessarily bought Cogger on and potentially upset the rhythm and risk a win would've been silly. If we get behind, or well in front during the next couple of games, I'm sure he'll get a go. The team has to come first.

If I was picking the team though, Cogger would be in ahead of Lewis. Lewis tries hard, and we all love his defence, but how many short balls did he throw to forwards not expecting it today? Some of his attacking play is amateurish.

Qld-Dog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He has been improving each game however, he certainly is no Kieran Foran with respect.....Cogger has time on his side and he is learning each week from Kieran, there would be a lot of young half's that wish they could be in Cogger's position right now!
How hard and direct does Foran play? brilliant!! IMO

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He has been improving each game however, he certainly is no Kieran Foran with respect.....Cogger has time on his side and he is learning each week from Kieran, there would be a lot of young half's that wish they could be in Cogger's position right now!
How hard and direct does Foran play? brilliant!! IMO
Foran was Crisp as any playmaker running around last night. Everything he done was class.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Those last 2 wins will be like gold for us moving forward. To have unnecessarily bought Cogger on and potentially upset the rhythm and risk a win would've been silly. If we get behind, or well in front during the next couple of games, I'm sure he'll get a go. The team has to come first.

If I was picking the team though, Cogger would be in ahead of Lewis. Lewis tries hard, and we all love his defence, but how many short balls did he throw to forwards not expecting it today? Some of his attacking play is amateurish.
Rhythm is a good choice of word to describe the dogs at the moment. It is a bit clunky in attack and Cogger should be in the starting side but not at the expense of Lewis if Foran plays. Cogger looked his best when Foran was injured because Foran is a dominate halve, and he really takes control when paired with Lewis.

Cogger and Lewis long term is not a bad option with Cogger at 7 and Lewis at 6 or if Lewis bulks up a little could be a great lock.

DT

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He will be hungry when he gets a crack...Pay has controlled the changes perfectly and if Cogger doesn't get on then too bad...that's footy these days...Pay is dammed if he does or doesn't but he is getting wins so all good