News Parramatta No. 7 Mitchell Moses credits Canterbury snubbing as the turning point in his NRL career

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Parramatta halfback Mitchell Moses has described being brushed by the Canterbury Bulldogs — and then coach Des Hasler — as the turning point in his NRL career, stating: “It’s the best thing that ever happened to me”.

Outstanding for the Eels over the past month, Moses embarks on a Thursday Night Football grudge match against the Belmore club who deemed him unworthy of a contract in 2017, instead signing Kieran Foran to a $3 million megadeal.

Since that time however, injuries have restricted Foran to just 23 appearances for a Belmore outfit that finished 12th last year and sits 13th now.

Moses, meanwhile, heads into the Bankwest Stadium clash with Parramatta gunning for five straight, a top four spot and what is increasingly shaping as his strongest season since debuting with Wests Tigers in 2014.

Asked if he was still motivated by the contract saga that, two years ago, had Hasler wanting to sign James Tedesco and Aaron Woods from Wests Tigers, but not him, Moses replied: “I’m loving it here at Parramatta, so doesn’t matter.

“And to be honest, it’s probably the best thing that has ever happened to me.

“Not going to Canterbury and coming here instead, it's good that it happened.”

Quizzed on his strong form in 2019, Moses credited regular conversations he now has with legendary Eels halfback Peter Sterling — with the pair discussing not only game day preparation, but analysis of opposing teams and players.

The new friendship suddenly has the 24-year-old on the cusp of breaking what has long been considered the ‘Curse of the Eels No.7 jersey’.

Since Sterlo retired in 1992, Parramatta have churned through 36 different halfbacks, with Chris Sandow and Tim Smith the most capped of the group with 71 games.

Moses, who last year re-signed for $2.5 million over three seasons, now owns 59.

Over summer, the playmaker and fellow halves partner Dylan Brown both met with Sterling to discuss their plans for 2019.

“And I still talk to Sterlo a fair bit,’’ Moses said.

“He’s been good for me, given me advice on games, things to try.

“Sterlo’s one of the best halfbacks to have played our game — and the best halfback Parramatta has seen — so anywhere he can give me tips, I’ll take into games and see how they go.

“And he has been giving me a few tips this year … he's been good for me.”

And as for what they discuss?

“Everything,” Moses continued. “Although what we chat about, that’s strictly between me and Sterlo.

“I don’t feel like I need to let everyone know what's happening.

“But I do give him a call every now and then.

“If I’m struggling or need to ask for tips, he's a great analyst of the game and anytime you can get tips from him you take it.”

Asked if he had considered the Sterlo Curse before signing on with the Eels, Mitchell shrugged: “I don’t look into that at all. I'm not trying to be the next Sterlo, or better than Sterlo … so I didn't come here looking into anything like that.”

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/subscribe/news/1/

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Probably lucky we didn’t sign Tedesco or Moses now we would just be paying their contracts at the Chooks and Eels!

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
Des said no to latter and Munster so Moses shouldn’t cry to much.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
His been shit for years and now strung a few games together and
“the best thing to happen to me”
Overated is putting it nicely

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
His been shit for years and now strung a few games together and
“the best thing to happen to me”
Overated is putting it nicely
He is butt hurt, hopefully we can smash the eels.

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
Umm is this the same eels who got the spoon last year. Mention Foz played 23 games in 2 years and we finished 12 and sit 13. Well mention he is playing better this year but had a wooden spoon jammed up his are as a wake up call.

jpneves

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He will join that illustrious group of players to wear the Parra no 7 and then be forgotten in the NRL after a few seasons
The jersey is jinxed! He is lucky as soon as someone calls the Parra no 7 ‘the new/next Sterlo’ it’s like kryptonite! He has been lucky that his inconsistency has meant he hasn’t been compared to Sterling.
Personally I’m glad we never signed him! Don’t really rate him apparently he thinks his s@#t doesn’t stink and likes to go off at fellow team mates in games.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Pfft. glad we didn’t sign him, I mean he’s ok. But we certainly didn’t miss out, and it’s not one that will be a what could have been.

We best wipe the floor with the eels, and make him really eat those words.!!

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
why is he acting like they didn't win the spoon last year, wtf
And acting like he has absolutely killed it for the past 2 years.... He definitely has not! haha.
A couple of good games here and there. Pointless article once again lol.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
They're probably going to beat us, knowing our luck, but saying something like he did is really immature.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought Moses would be a gun and am disappointed in what his career has turned out to be thus far

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Compare this article to the DwZ article. Arrogance vs Humility.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
lol had to come back to this post.

He pushed so many passes tonight that led to mistakes. ZIPTCHELL MOSES needs to ZIP IT