Moses: Dogs snubbing 'best thing that's happened to me'

WestBeast

Peyow Peyow
Reaction score
Moses: Dogs snubbing 'best thing that's happened to me'

Were it not for Des Hasler, Mitch Moses could easily be in blue and white rather than blue and gold.

"I don't care," Moses says.

"It's probably the best thing that's happened to me, not going there and then coming here. It's good that that happened."

What happened was the whole "rugby league is a business" cliché laid bare.

Among the protracted contract negotiations of the Wests Tigers' once-fabled "Big Four" in early 2017, the Bulldogs came in large for James Tedesco, Aaron Woods and their great mate Moses.

Then-chairman Ray Dib maintained all three were Belmore-bound until Hasler had second thoughts on Moses, his defence understood to be the Mad Scientist's sticking point.

Tedesco tried to convince Hasler otherwise and, when he couldn't, took up his other option across town.

"It doesn't matter," Moses says when recalling the blunt Bulldogs snub. "I'm loving it here at the moment."

Tedesco will say the same as the game's best player at the Roosters, ditto Hasler en route to Dally M Coach of the Year honours at Manly.

Meanwhile Moses, with 24 try assists (first in the NRL), 163 points (fourth) and 386 kick metres a game (first), is in career-best touch.

To be fair the Bulldogs are on the way up too, heading into Thursday's local derby with five wins from their last seven outings.

And where Hasler's brushing landed Moses in the Eels No.7 jersey, Brad Arthur's backing has seen him own it.

"That's a big thing that Brad's helped me out with," Moses says.

"He's shown a lot of confidence in me. I'm the halfback of the team and he wants me to take control of the team.

"Seeing him have confidence in me gives me confidence to go out on the field and do it. He's been massive for me this year and my development."

Last October, Arthur gave it to Moses straight. He was free to leave Parramatta if he wanted, if that famous blue and gold No.7 wasn't going to fit.

Peter Sterling, he of the four-title Midas touch and an apparent curse on that same jumper, has snipered the 24-year-old more than once too.

Nothing personal. Just one of the game's most respected analysts calling it as he sees it.

Which is why Moses now calls Sterling "whenever I'm struggling and need to ask him for some tips".

Sterling described a pre-season meeting with Moses and his rookie halves partner Dylan Brown frankly last week.

"Mitch Moses basically said that he had to pull his head in to some degree," Sterling told Wide World of Sports.

"I won't say lairise, but he was overconfident and that had to be reined back in."

Moses won't cop mention of the Sterling curse. Or joining Tim Smith, Chris Sandow, Kieran Foran and John Simon among 30 others to have been chewed up and spat out since the Eels icon retired.

But Moses has copped the tip from Parramatta's greatest, and still does.

"Whenever I see him and I give him a call every now and then if I'm struggling and need to ask him for some tips.

"He's pretty open to that and he's let me know at the start of the year that whenever I need to chat, he's happy to do it so I had a chat with him a couple of weeks ago.

"He's been good for me. He's one of the best halfbacks to play the game.

"Whatever we chat about, that's strictly between me and Sterlo, and the club really. I don't feel there's a need to let everyone know what's happening.

"But anywhere he can give me tips on how to play footy. I'm going to listen and I'm going to try it in the game."

Moses has been at this first grade caper for six years now, with 126 games under his belt.

It's easy to forget he's still just 24. He's come through those very public contract negotiations, a very messy Tigers exit, a superb 2017 finals run and Lebanese World Cup campaign followed by last year's wooden spoon and career crossroads.

"Out the other side yet?"

"Jeez I hope so ... far out."

Lessons appear to have been learned.

Told he could take his services elsewhere, Moses took to pre-season training early in response, cancelling a boys trip to the US to see Connor McGregor fight.

Having started 2019 in promising form, a three-year Eels extension was signed in June, Moses keeping his cards close publicly throughout negotiations.

"Coming through that Tigers system where probably 80 per cent of the team was under 24, under 25, coming through that system, we had a lot of good times and I had a lot of close mates there that I still talk to today," Moses says.

"I learnt a lot of harsh lessons there [with] what we were going through at the start of my career.

"Even last year, I learnt a lot of hard lessons here at Parra as well. Hopefully I'm out the other side.

"Coming off the year I had last year, I had no leg to stand on at all to be able to go away on those kind of trips and have the off-season that sometimes you wish you can have.

"I had to do something. I was under the pump here and I wanted to prove to the club, no one else, but prove to the club that I want to be here.

"It's not that I'm just coming here and collecting my pay and dogging it on the field.

"I wanted to come here and work hard and show the club that I want to be the 7 and I want to take control of the team."

- Glad Moses didn't come as for Woods we al know what happened with that dude came and gone quicker than the flash running and as for Tedesco interesting what could have been if he came to us, would he have been the player he is now or would Dessie stuff him up like many other he has in the past???? Either way looks like we are now on the right path FINALLY and 2021 looks to be more positive, us loyal supporters need to start smiling again!!! -
Fuck I hope smash **** tonight , fuck Hasler fuckin germ

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Throwing shade at our club the cheeky ****. Never rated him or his mate Brooks when they came on the scene. Both over hyped shit ***** with punchable heads. Thinks he is a fucking world beater over there in Parramatta land, when not that long ago they were sick of him and looking to move him on.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
How long will you dwell on it? You are having a go at people for having low standards while you're still living in 2017!
It' not dwelling...
The whole point here is...while we are too busy directing abuse to insignificant players, being ours or oppositions, we are missing on the bigger picture.
How can we forget Hasler for missing out on...Munster, Mitchell, Tedesco, Watson, Moses, Maloney just to name a few !
I don't apologize for not accepting a standard lesser than our club being THE BLUEPRINT to all clubs in the NRL !!!

Vek

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Immature and inconsistent, glad we didnt sign him

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
It' not dwelling...
The whole point here is...while we are too busy directing abuse to insignificant players, being ours or oppositions, we are missing on the bigger picture.
How can we forget Hasler for missing out on...Munster, Mitchell, Tedesco, Watson, Moses, Maloney just to name a few !
I don't apologize for not accepting a standard lesser than our club being THE BLUEPRINT to all clubs in the NRL !!!
You say don’t forget about a bunch of players Hasler missed out signing on that’s pretty much dwelling. Those players aren’t coming to the club so what’s the point in whinging about it now? The state in which Des and Dib left the club has been well documented and done to death. Des or Dib aren’t coming back to fix the mess. The club is making progress fixing it themselves.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You say don’t forget about a bunch of players Hasler missed out signing on that’s pretty much dwelling. Those players aren’t coming to the club so what’s the point in whinging about it now? The state in which Des and Dib left the club has been well documented and done to death. Des or Dib aren’t coming back to fix the mess. The club is making progress fixing it themselves.
I'll simplify it...
Hasler got rid of Innes and Cook to keep Lichaa...A stroke of a genius :rage:
All i wish for is...Stop the abuse " Especially to our players "

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'll simplify it...
Hasler got rid of Innes and Cook to keep Lichaa...A stroke of a genius :rage:
Oh I didn’t realise that lets go get a time machine and fix that one up shall we?

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
What a load of dribble. Yep we missed out on a bloke who has represented Lebanon, World All Stars and Prime Ministers 13. The same bloke who cracked a sh@t when the Tigers played hard ball for a while refusing to release him early from his contract because it meant he couldn't join the Eels on a better deal and then that club was contemplating quite happily about moving him on because he had not lived up to the hype.....I am heart broken......Hope we give him a good footy lesson tonight because he is a smart ass....

hulk hogan

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Best thing for the dogs he didn’t come
He has played good for half season this year he will turn to shit again

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
CHN will give this little shit nightmares tonight

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Imagine the cap mess we would've been in with Sharon, Teddy AND Moses on the books...

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Hopefully we will expose his defence weakness tonight. Poor tackler

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Out of the three of them we got woods!! That still fucking burns me!! So just for old time sake
fuck you des

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
It' not dwelling...
Well said mate

Shnissss

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What a great story. He got rejected by us 2 years ago and he’s still burning about it enough to mention it