News Former Eels target DWZ could come back to bite them

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
When Dallin Watene-Zelezniak met with Brad Arthur about a possible mid-season switch from Penrith to Parramatta, the coach told him he liked his aggression and saw him as a wonderful option in the centres or at fullback.

The pair caught up at the Eels' training base in the north of Parramatta and appreciated each other's honesty.

"Brad is an awesome coach, very honest, he told me how it would be if I went there, and I appreciated him taking time out of his busy schedule to meet with me. You can see why Parramatta are doing so well," Watene-Zelezniak told the Herald.

As it turned out, Watene-Zelezniak, who was also on the radar of North Queensland and the Wests Tigers, signed with the Bulldogs, while the Eels jagged DWZ's former Panthers' teammate Waqa Blake.

Right now supporters of both western Sydney clubs would agree Canterbury landed the better Panther.

Watene-Zelezniak is back in the kind of form that helped elevate him to stand-in captain of the New Zealand Test team at the end of last year.

Dallin Watene-Zelezniak will try to ruin the top-four hopes of the club he considered joining, Parramatta.Credit:AAP

It's also no fluke since his arrival at Belmore the club has enjoyed a late-season surge, with coach Dean Pay going as far to say late last month: ''I would love three or four more Dallin Watene-Zelezniaks.''

Arthur will be hoping Watene-Zelezniak does not come back to haunt him as the Eels try to stay in the top-four race on Thursday night at Bankwest Stadium against a carefree Canterbury intent on a few more September-bound scalps.

Watene-Zelezniak has fallen so in love with Canterbury he wants to extend his deal beyond the end of 2020.

"The scary thing about the move was I had never changed clubs before, but the support for myself and my wife and children has made it so easy,'' Watene-Zelezniak said.

"I took an 18-month contract, they took a chance on me, and I'm trying to do everything I can to return the favour. A happy player is a better player. I'm glad I made the decision to come here. I'd love to stay here.''

As he was on the outer at his junior club Penrith, Watene-Zelezniak started to take a keen interest in the Eels and the performances of his potential future teammates. He could not have been happier with how Blake re-ignited his own career away from the foot of the mountains.

Watene-Zelezniak has done a remarkable job defensively – the Dogs refused to concede a try against Souths last weekend – while his kamikaze-style kick returns have helped Canterbury start their sets in good field position.

The return of fellow Kiwi – and former Eel – Kieran Foran had also been ''unbelievable'', said Watene-Zelezniak. The Dogs will not be pushovers the final three games of the season.

"I love playing with him, he's everywhere, and he lets me know what he wants and I do my job. I'm like, 'whatever you want Foz, I'll do it'. He's an amazing player and a great asset to our team.''

Meanwhile, coach Arthur confirmed Blake Ferguson was likely to return next weekend against Brisbane as he returns to full fitness after struggling with an infection following knee surgery.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/fo...d-come-back-to-bite-them-20190820-p52j1o.html

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Already has bitten lol, and he will tonight fingers crossed. Nothing better than the win!!

JOHNY BULLDOG

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
So glad this guys in the mighty blue & white...love the way he plays.I'm really hoping to hear news of a contract extension before November so other clubs can't come sniffing around.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We've won 5 out of 8 games since he's joined us.

Chrisaaar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Love the way he plays. Doesn't matter if the first or the last minute, he hits the line at the absolute max speed he can. If only all our players did that.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Gotta love this guy. He picked us even though we were the ugly girl at the dance.
Coz he knows ugly girls give the best .........
because they don’t know when the next one will be lol

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't think I've ever seen the kennel so united in the opinion of a particular player.. no surprise really, everything about DWZ screams classy..

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
how stupid does Cleary and Penrith look atm for letting this guy go and paying some of the freight to do so ...

capt obvious

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get justin olam for hollands spot , dwz is breath of fresh air, thanks penrith!