Dean Pay v Nathan Brown Article

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
vs Sharks - they scored more tries than us, we won on the back of goalkicking
vs Newcastle - fair enough we beat them
vs Penrith - our defence won the game, but penrith were shocking in attack
vs Tigers - their bench went down 2 players early on in the game and we hang on by the grit of our teeth
vs Soufs - we won the game fair and square

I think too much is being made of our performance in these last 5 victories.

Still not sold on Pay and for me with the DWZ signing, the Stimson signing and the Britt signing, Pay has NO excuses for start of next season. If we've got a shit record early on like 0-5 or 1-4 then he needs to go.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
vs Tigers - their bench went down 2 players early on in the game and we hang on by the grit of our teeth

Still not sold on Pay and for me with the DWZ signing, the Stimson signing and the Britt signing, Pay has NO excuses for start of next season. If we've got a shit record early on like 0-5 or 1-4 then he needs to go.
No excuses? Because of 3 cheap signings? It’s not as though we’ll suddenly have the roosters squad haha

froggy

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
False dawn. That is how I look at our latest results. In all those wins we have not scored more than 20 points. We have relied on the opposition either taking us for granted or playing poorly. In fact we have not scored more than 24 points in any game this year.

Yep it's encouraging that we can string some wins together. But we did that last year and then when shit got real we crumbled. It's a lot easier to play with no pressure at the end of a season.

I am petrified that this board will do something stupid like re-sign Pay before the elections on the back of these results. But do people here really believe we have turned it around and can challenge next year under Pay?

We have signed a couple of toilers for next year. I am tipping they won't add much to our attack. Unless we bring in some outside backs it will be Groundhog Day.

This time next year we will be saying how good we are finishing the season for the third year in a row but not playing finals for 4 years. We are Parramatta.

James zac

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
False dawn. That is how I look at our latest results. In all those wins we have not scored more than 20 points. We have relied on the opposition either taking us for granted or playing poorly. In fact we have not scored more than 24 points in any game this year.

Yep it's encouraging that we can string some wins together. But we did that last year and then when shit got real we crumbled. It's a lot easier to play with no pressure at the end of a season.

I am petrified that this board will do something stupid like re-sign Pay before the elections on the back of these results. But do people here really believe we have turned it around and can challenge next year under Pay?

We have signed a couple of toilers for next year. I am tipping they won't add much to our attack. Unless we bring in some outside backs it will be Groundhog Day.

This time next year we will be saying how good we are finishing the season for the third year in a row but not playing finals for 4 years. We are Parramatta.
Valid points but I suggest you chill a little if feel this year is vastly different to 18 I see a resolve a will to grind games out younger guys are now attuned to the pay style we jag Ramien I believe we will be Canberra of this year surprise a lot of pundits I’m confident we carry this form into 20 somethings changed with the team have faith

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
No excuses? Because of 3 cheap signings? It’s not as though we’ll suddenly have the roosters squad haha
3 cheap signing? Are you serious?

Dwz has been a great signing and a long term FB option for us

Stimson was first choice for storm (the minor premiers) but lost his position because he was injured and Kenny Bromwich was in great form

Britt is someone the club wants and sees a future in.

But yeh they're 3 cheap signing that the club never needed

James zac

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Stimson was first choice for storm (the minor premiers) but lost his position because he was injured and Kenny Bromwich was in great form

Good buys in my opinion jag Ramien we surprise a lot next season

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Good buys in my opinion jag Ramien we surprise a lot next season
Well this is the thing, if we get him too, then we "should" be competitive in all our games and hence if we start the season with a record like 0-5 or 1-4 then Pay needs to go.

James zac

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well this is the thing, if we get him too, then we "should" be competitive in all our games and hence if we start the season with a record like 0-5 or 1-4 then Pay needs to .
We will I’ve been dogs a long long time I’ve seen it all before we have almost climbed out the hole one gun signing we are back

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score

I’m very happy with the signings but they aren’t exactly on big dollar are they? Do you understand what cheap means?

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I’m very happy with the signings but they aren’t exactly on big dollar are they? Do you understand what cheap means?
And why the hell do they need to be on big dollars? If they can't do the required job for us, why the hell are we signing them in the first place?

Are you honestly thinking the club is signing these players and not expecting them to have an impact on first grade???

I mean you're just providing excuse after excuse after excuse after excuse for failure.

After these signings, where these players CAN DO A JOB, there are no excuses for us not being competitive.

sideswip

Kennel Established
Reaction score
this article mentions " newcastle lost to cowboys in round 22"... who ever wrote this needs a good kick in the head.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
And why the hell do they need to be on big dollars? If they can't do the required job for us, why the hell are we signing them in the first place?

Are you honestly thinking the club is signing these players and not expecting them to have an impact on first grade???

I mean you're just providing excuse after excuse after excuse after excuse for failure.

After these signings, where these players CAN DO A JOB, there are no excuses for us not being competitive.
That’s crap sorry mate. I don’t think you understand my point. They are good players but if the club had money do you think they’d really go after say Dean Britt if they had money for Jason Taumalolo??
Realistically, the club need a couple of years to rebuild but Pay may not be given that chance

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ok buzz Killington

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
That’s crap sorry mate. I don’t think you understand my point. They are good players but if the club had money do you think they’d really go after say Dean Britt if they had money for Jason Taumalolo??
Realistically, the club need a couple of years to rebuild but Pay may not be given that chance
Are you purposefully being obtuse?

I'm not talking about winning the comp. I'm not talking about a 10-0 record in the first ten rounds.

I'm saying that with those recent signings we've made we have a decent enough roster to win 2 or 3 games in the first 5 rounds and be competitive in games we've lost.

Hence me saying if we have a record of 0-5 at the start of next season then it's now time to move on the coach. That he's simply not up to the task because we have a decent enough roster to be better than that

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
So what if we’ve been winning without scoring 20+ points? We don’t have the caliber of players don’t be putting 20+ points on the board each week. We have no forwards who punch holes through the middle, no genuine strike weapons out wide, and for the most part have been running with inexperienced, yet developing players in the 6,7 and 9.

The one thing we can attempt to control is our defence. And we’re getting that right atm. We’re frustrating teams with our steely resolve and getting the reward. We’ve won enough times lately now that the excuse that every team has gifted us the win due to playing badly, can no longer be used. We’re winning on merit.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Are you purposefully being obtuse?

I'm not talking about winning the comp. I'm not talking about a 10-0 record in the first ten rounds.

I'm saying that with those recent signings we've made we have a decent enough roster to win 2 or 3 games in the first 5 rounds and be competitive in games we've lost.

Hence me saying if we have a record of 0-5 at the start of next season then it's now time to move on the coach. That he's simply not up to the task because we have a decent enough roster to be better than that
Our roster will have slightly improved but will still be one of the worst on paper in the comp. We will also still be the youngest, most inexperienced and most salary cap restricted team in the comp until at least 2021.

I get what you are saying and am not trying to be difficult but I would also like to see the draw. If we play bottom 8 clubs and lose all 5 he’s in a bit of trouble but if we play the top 5 teams and are competitive he will be ok. We are competitive in almost every game now despite our situation but people still constantly whinge and whine on here.

Being forced to release almost half your salary cap in players to other clubs and having Foran taking up such a large chunk too are both very legitimate excuses. Real fans get that and I’m not saying you aren’t a real fan either