News Pay confident Dogs on track to become elite team

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Dean Pay has seen enough in the Bulldogs' late revival to suggest they can eventually become a top-four side under his coaching.

After winning three straight matches and five of their past seven, the Bulldogs remain a slim mathematical chance to reach the finals - a minor miracle given the club was headed for the wooden spoon two months ago.

While he isn't quite daring to dream about an unlikely playoffs appearance, Pay said the considerable improvement has provided confidence that Canterbury are on track to return to their former glory.

"It's always nice to get away from that [pressure from losing]. But we never, ever lost focus on what we were doing," Pay said on Wednesday.

"We just wanted to make sure our players were getting better each week and it's really important that we keep building towards being a top-four team. We're a long way from that yet but we’re moving in the right direction.

"Through the first 14 rounds we had some games where we really competed hard. Some things went against us in games that cost us the game. If we could have jagged a couple of those wins earlier in the season, it might be a different story.

With speculation about Pay - who is contracted until 2020 - being replaced dying down as the Bulldogs found form, the mentor is running his eyes over the open market to enhance the roster for next year.

Melbourne forward Joe Stimson and Rabbitohs back-rower Dean Britt have already signed but Pay is keen to land more recruits. He confirmed Jesse Ramien and Api Koroisau are prime targets.

"We're always interested in quality players. Obviously we're still a bit restricted by our [salary] cap but there's a few different players out there that we've enquired about," he said.

"If that comes off, it comes off. If not we just move on. [Ramien] is one quality player out there that's obviously on the market so we'd be silly not to enquire about him.

"[Koroisau's] another one. There's quite a few of them out there. Any quality players that come on the market, we're interested."

Pay believes the Bulldogs hit new heights last round in keeping the Rabbitohs try-less with impregnable defence. He hopes his troops will replicate the effort against Parramatta at Bankwest Stadium on Thursday and continue their giant-killing run.

"We got to a really good level last week. We defended really well – I think we only missed seven tackles. That's been the cornerstone of winning a few games on the trot," Pay said.

"We've been really concentrating on our defence and our attack is getting better each week."

Crafty kick from Foran provides for Harawira-Naera

Five-eighth Kieran Foran's return from injury versus South Sydney pushed Jack Cogger to the bench with Lachlan Lewis given the nod at halfback.

Cogger didn't get any game time and Pay sympathised with the playmaker's situation.

"I felt sorry for Jack last week, all the boys felt for him. He's the type of kid who is team-first and he works as hard as anybody here in the club," Pay said.

"He could be on after two minutes [against the Eels], who knows. We'll just play it as it comes. [Cogger and Lewis] have both been going really well.

"The good part about it is it's good competition. Lachy knows Jack's waiting in the wings and he's got pressure on him."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/08/21/pay-confident-dogs-on-track-to-become-elite-team/

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting that Ese’ese isn’t mentioned as a target. Hopefully that means the club looks at other options like Timm from the Dragons

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I would love for pay to prove me wrong, I really would.. if next year rolls around an we get a good start then I’m all for it. Although I still have my doubts as you are all aware, I want too see us get some good early wins and have him change my mind..!!

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I would love for pay to prove me wrong, I really would.. if next year rolls around an we get a good start then I’m all for it. Although I still have my doubts as you are all aware, I want too see us get some good early wins and have him change my mind..!!
You're slowly turning and giving in more and more :grinning:)

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
You're slowly turning and giving in more and more :grinning:)
Nope.. as I said. Still stand by my opinion. But we will see what 2020 brings .. only good wins/effort an competitiveness will turn me bud :tongueclosed:

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Nope.. as I said. Still stand by my opinion. But we will see what 2020 brings .. only good wins/effort an competitiveness will turn me bud :tongueclosed:
I would like to see him coach with a full salary cap and when given a chance to build an actual team but it might not happen

Doggiezbrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
I was fooled last year and I'm just being cautious for now. We have definitely improved throughout the season. However, there are still many deficiencies in our team.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
One would think the first half of next year will seal Pay's fate either way moving forward. I would expect around 50% winning plus a very high standard of effort, defence and improving attack as the minimum. We shall see...

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pay just doesn't have any pulling power...that is the real issue. He certainly has proven that he can get players to go out and play to their ability.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Pay just doesn't have any pulling power...that is the real issue. He certainly has proven that he can get players to go out and play to their ability.
And you know that how, he's only just now got some money to bargain with. Bit hard to buy quality for peanuts.
Done alright with Fk all so far I believe.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
He doesn't have pulling power... but money talks.

Next year we'll have cash to splash, so it will be interesting to see who we can sign with all the dough to blow.

Pay... 2020 is the year to show us what you've got by signing players for 2021!

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I would like to see him coach with a full salary cap and when given a chance to build an actual team but it might not happen
To me he hasn't demonstrated enough to show he's a top level coach at NRL level.

As I've said before if he builds a team and he's not the man to lead us going forward all of a sudden you have rebuild 2.0 with more wasted years.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
To me he hasn't demonstrated enough to show he's a top level coach at NRL level.

As I've said before if he builds a team and he's not the man to lead us going forward all of a sudden you have rebuild 2.0 with more wasted years.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing and we don’t have a crystal ball. I’m just saying I’d like to see him get a chance to build a decent squad as we currently have the youngest and most inexperienced squad in the comp with a heavily overpaid and busted Foran thanks to Dib & Hasler

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He doesn't have pulling power... but money talks.

Next year we'll have cash to splash, so it will be interesting to see who we can sign with all the dough to blow.

Pay... 2020 is the year to show us what you've got by signing players for 2021!
But signs dwz? Chose us over other clubs , and chn,

sideswip

Kennel Established
Reaction score
im happy for Pay to stay on as long as we can see progress up the ladder thats all that counts.

Headmix

Banned
Reaction score
My thoughts are "Build it and they will come" ...In years to come when the dogs are a top 4 team again we will look back at Dean Pay and appreciate the shit he copped getting this club back on track. Whether he's still there or not. I don't think we should ever forget the pile of shit he was given we he signed up for what is a tough job even with a strong roster.

Malla

Reaction score
Interesting that Ese’ese isn’t mentioned as a target. Hopefully that means the club looks at other options like Timm from the Dragons
You would think with Stimson and Britt coming theres no need for Herman

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You would think with Stimson and Britt coming theres no need for Herman
They aren’t really props though. It will be up to Pay to decide if he still wants another middle forward. I am surprised that Timm hasn’t received a call up for first grade yet. He could end up being a cheaper alternative to what we are using RFM & Elliott for right now. Doesn’t really matter right now as the club probably won’t sign him

Malla

Reaction score
They aren’t really props though. It will be up to Pay to decide if he still wants another middle forward. I am surprised that Timm hasn’t received a call up for first grade yet. He could end up being a cheaper alternative to what we are using RFM & Elliott for right now. Doesn’t really matter right now as the club probably won’t sign him
I am sure Britt is a prop? Maybe I am thinking of his dad lol anyway, we don't need Herman for his asking price. We have a few young guys coming through that can fill the void so not an issue at all.