TV Ratings Plummeting

Costa84

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow all this time I thought they somehow got statistics from everyones digital tv boxes.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Wow all this time I thought they somehow got statistics from everyones digital tv boxes.
I assumed that as well. But nope, they have NFI how many people are actually watching.

You get this box installed and everytime the TV is turned on it detects that and asks you who is watching. The way it determines what you are watching is by a microphone attached to your soundbar or speaker. It listens to everything, and this picks up what you are watching.

I am not 100% sure how they do this. I am pretty sure the tv stations send out some kind of signal for the box to pick up which I assume we cannot hear. Or it could be like a Soundhound/Shazam type deal. I have always wondered if I download a show and watch it if it counts (like Game of Thrones) but I am not sure.

They are a bit behind the times though. They cannot add me as a Foxtel customer because I do not have a Foxtel box (I only have Foxtel Now which I use on my TV via a laptop connected to it). The guy installing said he "thinks" my Foxtel viewing would count but his system needed some kind of Foxtel IQ Box ID in order to register me as a Foxtel user... So I dunno if it counts at all.

He also told me that in the future they may ask to install software on my phone to track any kind of apps I use to watch TV. I will never consent to that so if they demand it I will stop being a Neilsen family for sure.

I do believe they do some kind of surveys as well to gain rating information, but they definitely do not know what every person in Australia is actually watching.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What does this tell you?

The Bulldogs have one of the biggest followers in the league. If they are not doing well, the attendances and TV ratings suffer. Seriously, when the Dogs are on top of their game every NRL fan base wants to watch them even if their team isn't playing them but purely because of rivalry.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
But was there any details in this article about TV audiences or were the figures cherry picked to suite?
Reason I ask is that I think the NRL has an excellent TV product and while there have been a lot of blow outs in games this season there been some really good games also. There does seem to a big inequity in performance between clubs with certain clubs spending a lot of time at the top of the ladder, we all know the NRL salary cap doesn’t work and I like many think it is corrupted.

However the NRL annual report shows that the TV audience increased last year, broadcast revenue was up 54% to $318m.

I’m not surprised that TVs share of the total audience will decline but will the NRL TV audience decline faster or slower than other football codes?

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
The quality of rugby league had gone downhill over the last decade.

I put it down to being a boys club
Overpaid players
Players and managers trying to run the game
Salary cap way too high, players way over paid
No incentives to grow juniors, need more salary cap relief when it comes to juniors .
Rules are stifling the game
Needs to be less interchanges
Get rid of video ref and bring in captains challenge
More funding for juniors but not just money, their needs to be focus on skill sets for the kids, they should have a handbook to help those coaches/parents who teach kids
Very weak leaders in Greenberg and Beattie
Less interchanges
Less time wasting ie kickers taking more than a min to kick goals or ball goes into touch
3 year max contracts for players
Transfer window
Loaning of players to other clubs

I would even support drastic measures such as if your team doesnt make semis then those contracts for that team become null and void. That way teams arent stuck with duds like Ash Taylor. And players actually will give a shit about making semis instead of coasting collecting paychecks. And teams arent stuck for years trying to rebuild. Far fetched i know but this game Needs a serious kick up the ass

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The quality of rugby league had gone downhill over the last decade.

I put it down to being a boys club
Overpaid players
Players and managers trying to run the game
Salary cap way too high, players way over paid
No incentives to grow juniors, need more salary cap relief when it comes to juniors .
Rules are stifling the game
Needs to be less interchanges
Get rid of video ref and bring in captains challenge
More funding for juniors but not just money, their needs to be focus on skill sets for the kids, they should have a handbook to help those coaches/parents who teach kids
Very weak leaders in Greenberg and Beattie
Less interchanges
Less time wasting ie kickers taking more than a min to kick goals or ball goes into touch
3 year max contracts for players
Transfer window
Loaning of players to other clubs

I would even support drastic measures such as if your team doesnt make semis then those contracts for that team become null and void. That way teams arent stuck with duds like Ash Taylor. And players actually will give a shit about making semis instead of coasting collecting paychecks. And teams arent stuck for years trying to rebuild. Far fetched i know but this game Needs a serious kick up the ass
You're last paragraph makes a lot of sense, not sure about some of your other ideas.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If they wanna increase the ratings they should release their sex tape...on other thoughts...no don't they would plummet.

Also, is it just me or does Toddy look like a creepy priest in that pic?

Creepy priest