Opinion Can JMK be our potential dummy-half for 2019

kaluah8123

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I disagree... I could be wrong as I do rate the kid but his good value as a utility sub and having an experienced rake will benefit the team more. Whether that's Koroisau or not is another discussion.
If API comes here I will be happy as he is quality.Only thing that worries me is he is injury prone. JMK has played in a side that is dominated in the ruck constantly so it’s hard to be a shining light.
I could be wrong but I don’t believe the difference between JMK and the top 5% is that great. I don’t think API is a Hodgson, Smith, Cook or talking potential wise a Brailey and could be signed at value for money for what he can contribute.
Is Api better? Yes definitely but a dominant centre or Front Rower is what I think we are lacking the most for next year. When don’t have halfback or hooker money until 2021 I reckon, well not at least for the one we really want.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I disagree... I could be wrong as I do rate the kid but his good value as a utility sub and having an experienced rake will benefit the team more. Whether that's Koroisau or not is another discussion.
Some people have forgotten what a good rugby league hooker can bring to a team,
Excellent example is Cameron Smith...No matter what the changes were over the years, Melbourne rebuilt the team around him !!!

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Has anyone ever spoken to JMK????

Bloke has athletic ability. No doubt. But no footy brain. If things arnt going to plan, he couldn't be a smith/hodgson/farah/friend/cook/mcinnes/brailey (to an extent)/peats/McCullough

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Excellent example is Cameron Smith...No matter what the changes were over the years, Melbourne rebuilt the team around him !!!
A Top 4 team needs a dummy half who can create half chances, passes well, has a kicking game and runs.

So far JMK only has 2 of those necessary attributes.

14 in any other team and potential game breaker.

axeman23

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

So, we're complaining now that our hooker isn't on the same level as Cam Smith? I think we've reached peak negativity, but I'm sure another post will prove me wrong, given a few days... :laughing:

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone ever spoken to JMK????

Bloke has athletic ability. No doubt. But no footy brain. If things arnt going to plan, he couldn't be a smith/hodgson/farah/friend/cook/mcinnes/brailey (to an extent)/peats/McCullough
Gee you are generous with your hooker ratings, half the list you named are flops.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

So, we're complaining now that our hooker isn't on the same level as Cam Smith? I think we've reached peak negativity, but I'm sure another post will prove me wrong, given a few days... :laughing:
It's not about proving anyone wrong
It's about proving a point, and Smith happens to be the ultimate example !!!

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He might be a good 14, or a back up hooker. He's doing well tbh but he isn't good enough for us to be a top tier team.
His ceiling in skills seems to be a lot higher than Lichaa has shown.

If API comes here I will be happy as he is quality.Only thing that worries me is he is injury prone. JMK has played in a side that is dominated in the ruck constantly so it’s hard to be a shining light.
I could be wrong but I don’t believe the difference between JMK and the top 5% is that great. I don’t think API is a Hodgson, Smith, Cook or talking potential wise a Brailey and could be signed at value for money for what he can contribute.
Is Api better? Yes definitely but a dominant centre or Front Rower is what I think we are lacking the most for next year. When don’t have halfback or hooker money until 2021 I reckon, well not at least for the one we really want.
I've thought that for much of the season, if our forwards start getting momentum the refs halt it and give our opposition piggyback penalties. It's hard for any forward pack to be dominant when they're up against that.

Defence out wide has been how we've lost many games, but that's come off the back of inexperienced players being put under pressure when opposition teams are gifted good field position and they get multiple chances to attack the line from 20-30m out.

axeman23

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
It's not about proving anyone wrong
It's about proving a point, and Smith happens to be the ultimate example !!!
14 other teams ALSO don't have Smith, should THEY punt their hookers as well? JMK Is not at the level of a Smith, a Hodgson, a Cook, that's a given. Smith's had almost 10 times the games to become the player he is, Hodgson has had almost 7 times the games, Cook is much closer at double the games, and I wouldn't argue against him, or Smith/Hodgson, being a superior player. But at least Cook has a stable role within Souths, he's their walk-in hooker until he either breaks down, retires, or moves on. That certainty breeds confidence in players, making them better players. JMK is only just STARTING to get that vote of confidence, and so far he has improved in that time. We can't just keep playing musical chairs with players, and then expect those players to be loyal to the club/us fans. I'm not saying pick a 17 and stick with it hell or high water. But it seems many here (not necessarily you personally), "still need to be convinced" after a 3 game streak of good games by a player, but can far too easily rule a line through a player after 1 bad game.

David holland

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I hope so and the club buys Cameron mc innes, you build a team around him

BulldogsNRL

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I say yes. He is developing nicely
And is starting to run the ball so I go yes