Best 17 of the NRL era: Bulldogs

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Best 17s of the NRL era: Bulldogs
There’s some pretty handy names in here!

PAT STAVELEY

CONTRIBUTOR
AUGUST 18, 2019 - 9:45 AM

SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA - AUGUST 30: Hazem El Masri of the Bulldogs attempts a conversion during the round 25 NRL match between the Bulldogs and the Warriors at ANZ Stadium on August 30, 2009 in Sydney, Australia. (Photo by Mark Nolan/Getty Images)
We’re counting down every club’s best 17 in the NRL era.

Up next is the Bulldogs, here is their best line-up over that period:

1. Luke Patten- 2001-10, 225 games, 82 tries
The ‘General’ was an outstanding servant for the Dogs for the first decade of the millennium. Can be considered unlucky to not achieve NSW representation however he does have a premiership to his name.

2. Hazem El Masri 1998-2009, 273 games, 139 tries
El Magic wasn’t blessed with big size but what he lacked in height he made up for in heart. Became the greatest point-scorer of all time in his final season and held it for 10 years before Cameron Smith overtook him. Hazem scored the winning try in their 2004 GF win over the Roosters.

3. Josh Morris 2009-18, 217 games, 103 tries
Morris left his brother Brett at the Dragons to join forces with the Dogs in 2009 and established a successful 10-year relationship which turned Morris into one of the best centres of his generation. The determined Kiama product became a true rep player at the Bulldogs and played in two grand final defeats.

4. Willie Tonga 2004-08, 81 games, 37 tries
Tonga had only played eight NRL games before moving from the Eels to the Bulldogs in 2004 but he instantly became a hit, scoring 18 tries in 27 games as they won the comp in his first season at the club. His breakout season earnt him Queensland and Australia call-ups.

5. Matt Utai 2002-09, 127 games, 71 tries
The second half of one of the smallest wing partnerships of all time, Utai was the ultimate pocket rocket. Burst onto the scene in 2002 and it took him just 67 matches to notch up his 50th try, which arrived in the shape of his second try in the 2004 Grand Final.

6. Braith Anasta 2000-05, 111 games, 50 tries
It’s easy to forget Anasta played a starring role for half a decade with the Dogs as he went on to spend a long stint with the Roosters. Braith achieved the NRL rookie of the year award in 2001 after an exceptional breakout season, and his partnership with Brent Sherwin brought success in 2004.

7. Brent Sherwin 1999-2007, 191 games, 31 tries
An unheralded yet crafty little halfback, Sherwin was Canterbury’s long-time No.7 for the best part of a decade, and although like Luke Patten he failed to receive major representative honours, his contributions to the Bulldogs were incredibly valuable.

8. James Graham 2012-17, 135 games 9 tries
The big Pom came from the UK in 2012 after the Bulldogs had missed out on finals for consecutive seasons for the first time since 1990. The inspirational Graham added the passion, hunger and desire up the middle that they had been missing and his first three seasons there coincided with two Grand Final appearances.

9. Corey Hughes 1998-08, 213 games, 28 tries
The last of the Hughes generation, Corey’s success was no less than what his father Garry achieved. Garry won the competition in 1980 and Corey did the same 24 years later. Corey played in the 1998 defeat at halfback but won at hooker in 04, often alternating with fellow rake Adam Perry.

10. Steve Price 1998-04, 164 games, 16 tries
Steve Price debuted for the Dogs in ’94 and won his first premiership in 1995. Price came short in the first year of the NRL era in a heavy defeat to Brisbane and the proud club legend was unlucky to miss out in 2004 to injury before his switch to the Warriors. A true Bulldogs great who always wore his heart on his sleeve.

11. Josh Jackson 2012- current, 177 games, 22 tries
Jackson has kept his place for eight straight years in the Bulldogs side and his influence still hasn’t wavered as he quickly became a senior player within the squad. He was quickly recognised for his no-nonsense attitude by becoming a rep player for Country, NSW and Australia.

12. Andrew Ryan 2003-11, 218 games, 52 tries
‘Bobcat’ made his name at the Eels but it was at the Dogs where he transitioned into a starting player and eventual captain of the club. He played a crucial role in the 2004 grand final win, making a last ditch tackle on Chris Walker to prevent a try before later making a heroic legs tackle on Michael Crocker which ultimately secured the premiership in the dying seconds.

13. Sonny Bill Williams 2004-08, 73 games, 31 tries
SBW broke into the NRL as the next big thing with the Bulldogs, making his mark in the opening round of 2004. He played a major role in the side as they went onto record an eighth premiership in 2004. The Dogs struggled when he was out with injury in 2005 and his influence was officially lost to the club when he walked out during 2008’s disappointing campaign.

14. Michael Ennis 2009-14, 136 games, 17 tries
A player that was often despised by opposition players was much loved by his teammates especially in his six years with the Dogs. Ennis became one of the premier hookers of the game in 2009 when he joined the Bulldogs and his stature at the club quickly grew as he became captain in 2012 following Andrew Ryan’s retirement.

15. Willie Mason 2000-07, 148 games, 36 tries
Mason burst onto the scene in 2000 as a fresh 20-year old with a big afro and quickly became a fan favourite. His enthusiasm was always on show and he was always a larger than life character of the game that the Bulldogs missed when he departed for the Roosters. The rep forward was capable of playing prop or second row.

16. Mark O’Meley 2002-07, 110 games, 16 tries
The ‘ogre’ was an intimidating and fearsome wrecking ball of a front-rower. O’Meley was extremely damaging in the early stages of matches and loved a fast-paced hit-up or the occasional confrontation with his opposite number.

17. Ben Barba 2008-13, 97 games, 72 tries
Barba made his debut in 2008 but he was in and out of the starting line-up where he didn’t make a mark until 2011 when he became their fullback after Luke Patten’s departure. Was a very prolific tryscorer and won the Dally M medal in 2012 following an incredible individual season which led the Bulldogs to the minor premiership and to a Grand Final appearance.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd have Barba at 1. O'Meley at 8, and Ennis at 9

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I would have Barbra @ 1

Thurston @ 6

Anastasia @ 14

Nexus

Super Duper Ultimate Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I would also swap Mason and Jackson around

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Have to have barba 2012 at 1 :tongueclosed:

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Ben Barba
2. Hazem El Masri
3. Nigel Vagana
4. Josh Morris
5. Curtis Rona
6. Braith Anasta
7. Brent Sherwin
8. Mark O'Meley
9. Michael Ennis
10. Steve Price (c)
11. Willie Mason
12. Andrew Ryan
13. Josh Jackson

14. James Graham; 15. Darren Smith; 16. Roy Asotasi; 17. Sonny Bill Williams

as much as I loved Patten and as much as Barba blew up after 2012, I give it to Barba due to the level of play he showed when at his best... El Masri and Vagana were great for us and worked well together down the right

it was a race in two for the left centre spot between Tonga and Morris but Morris gets the spot as he was far more reliable than Tonga... Rona only played 2 seasons with us but I couldn't give it to Utai (although his slam down try against the Roosters in 2003 will live in my memory forever) because he was never the same after the 2004 GF, his conditioning just continually deteriorated, and he was a liability to aerial kicks

Thurston is one of the modern day greats and the biggest retention blunder by an NRL club, bar none... but he just did not play enough for us to get into the team... Anasta & Sherwin for the halves but Sherwin's story is similar to that of Utai, just not the same player after the 2004 GF

with all due respect, Corey Hughes was a limited player and I am curious how far he would have gotten with us if his last name was not Hughes... Ennis is the best hooker we have had since 1998... Price and O'Meley would make a very good starting prop tandem with Price's work rate and O'Meley's impact

similar to the props, I have gone with Mason and Ryan in the back row due to Mason's impact and Ryan's durability and work rate... although we have played him on the right, I would have Jackson in the middle as he can run good lines, play big minutes, has a bit more speed than the rest of the pack and is/can be great in defence

off the bench, you lose nothing with the prop rotation with Graham and Asotasi off the bench and Roy could also play second row if necessary... SBW is a no brainer being able to play centre and in every running forward position... lastly, I went with Darren Smith as he was quality wherever you played him, played at the highest levels and provides the utility value covering centre, five-eighth, back row and potentially even hooker but can be used in the rotation regardless even if there are no injuries

probably in the top 5 best 17s of the NRL era with the Storm, Broncos, Roosters and Sea Eagles

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Bloody good side though. How we've only got 1 Premiership since 1998 baffles me.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I would have Barba as touch judge so he could stay close to the white line.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
01. Ben Barba
02. Hazem El Masri (k)
03. Nigel Vagana
04. Willie Tonga
05. Josh Morris
06. Johnathan Thurston
07. Brent Sherwin
08. Mark O'Meley
09. Michael Ennis
10. Steve Price (c)
11. Sonny Bill Williams
12. Andrew Ryan
13. Willie Mason

14. Braith Anasta
15. Josh Jackson
16. David Klemmer
17. James Graham

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Pretty much the 2004 grand final team i would choose but with Barba at FB

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Dean pay as coach

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Imagine if Elliott had been part of our 2004 squad. We’d have had the best forward pack ever assembled and gone through the season undefeated!

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
I know it’s early but I would put DWZ in that team.

fooch

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Kasiano gotta be there shits all over graham

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
Barba had 1 good year at the dogs , the general was a top level 1 for 7 plus years. I do admit that his try strike rate is damn good. Ennis at 9 every day of the week. Mason in the back row and Vagana in for Morris . You can almost leave the 04 pack in with Ennis.

Last edited:

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Mason has to start if it was a best of team. Jackson off the bench. I think omeley starts too with graham off the bench.

Ennis was our best hooker since hetherington. Barba starts at fullback. Had 2 amazing seasons. But patten was the ultimate professional.

Not sure if this team is the best team or the longest serving. As patten, Hughes were great clubman but their successors were top line players.

Great pack either way. Shrek, price, mason, sonny, graham. And no room for asotasi, Maitua or chizlowski.