Opinion Bulldogs have equalled the No. of Wins from 2018

Fully Sik Drop kick

Abra Kebabra
Reaction score
2018 rounds 16-22 ....................................... 2019 rounds 16-22

vs Knights W ........................................ vs Sharks L (E8)
vs Raiders L ........................................ vs Knights W
vs Souths L (1) ........................................ vs Broncs L (7)
vs Parra L ........................................ vs Roosters L (2)
vs Tigers W ........................................ vs Panthers W (E8)
vs Broncs W (7) ........................................ vs Tigers W
vs Manly L ........................................ vs Rabbits W (5)

Having a late surge generally doesn't mean much with players playing for contracts etc. and if the club has had a tough year, but if you look at the above comparison for rounds 16-22 for 2018 and 2019 a couple of things stand out.

#We still had Morris boys and Klem etc. in 2018
#We won 4 from 7 in 2019 compared to 3 from 7 in 2018
#We only beat 1 top 8 side in this period in 2018 and there was only 2 top 8 teams total in those 7 games compared to 5 top 8 teams this year with 2 top 8 wins and the other 2 sides in 2019 (Knights and Tigers still in the hunt for the 8 and we beat both)
#We have strung 3 in a row
#Loss to sharks was close with only the Broncos loss and second half Roosters being really poor effort

We are definitely I believe in a better place than this time last year with a real chance to jag 2 of our last 3 games as wins.

So, as long as they have rectified the pre-season or lack there of, land a couple more decent signings, we could be in reasonable shape for kick off in 2020. So maybe it does matter?

Good comparitive analysis

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I really don’t get this whole “Not taking our wins now into consideration because it doesn’t matter” notion.

Of course it matters.

We are playing against teams that are desperate for wins to cement their positions in the finals.

Souths were trying to improve to 4th.

Just because we are not a realistic chance to make the 8 doesn’t mean we can’t take our wins now for what they are.

I am seeing obvious improvement.

After already struggling last year and then losing Klemmer and the Morris brothers, I can see why we were struggling for the first half of the year.

On top of that our marquee million dollar player had been in and out like a tampon.

I’m not even pro Pay I’m just pro Bulldogs but fuck me there are a lot of people in here that need to get out more and start being realistic.

I can honestly say I am starting to feel good about the way the club is heading.
We have all had our doubts along the way but let’s see this for what it is.

By the way Raysie I only quoted your post because it was the first one at the top of the page that echoed what I have been reading a lot of lately on here.

In my opinion and certainly in the opinion of the teams we have been beating leading into the finals.

These games definitely matter.
Excellent post mate, i totally agree!!

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
In my opinion, these late season wins mean nothing to me...

For me, this season would be a success if Newcastle don't make the eight!!!
It means alot moving forward. The confidence knowing you were a sniff away from a finals berth would surely make any squad member hungrier next year.

_BT_

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

vs Knights W ........................................ vs Sharks L (E8)

Having a late surge generally doesn't mean much with players playing for contracts etc. and if the club has had a tough year, but if you look at the above comparison for rounds 16-22 for 2018 and 2019 a couple of things stand out.

#We won 4 from 7 in 2019 compared to 3 from 7 in 2018
#We only beat 1 top 8 side in this period in 2018 and there was only 2 top 8 teams total in those 7 games compared to 5 top 8 teams this year with 2 top 8 wins and the other 2 sides in 2019 (Knights and Tigers still in the hunt for the 8 and we beat both)
#Loss to sharks was close with only the Broncos loss and second half Roosters being really poor effort

We are definitely I believe in a better place than this time last year with a real chance to jag 2 of our last 3 games as wins.

So, as long as they have rectified the pre-season or lack there of, land a couple more decent signings, we could be in reasonable shape for kick off in 2020. So maybe it does matter?
We beat the sharks.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
We didnt have DWZ last year,he is the difference for mine his overall attitude to playing is lifting the rest of them.He competes on every play and its rubbing off.

BankstownBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
When we have done the same thing multiple seasons running, then yes it doesn't matter. Good to enjoy a win, but not worth getting excited about until these performances come early in the season. Lichaa literally earned a contract with us due to his finish to the backend of the 2017 season lol.

vs Knights W ........................................ vs Sharks W (E8)

#We won 5 from 7 in 2019 compared to 3 from 7 in 2018
#We only beat 1 top 8 side in this period in 2018 and there was only 2 top 8 teams total in those 7 games compared to 5 top 8 teams this year with 3 top 8 wins and the other 2 sides in 2019 (Knights and Tigers still in the hunt for the 8 and we beat both)
#With only the Broncos loss and second half Roosters being really poor effort

But we haven’t though? @Nabsolutely Fabulous

The above graph shows us winning 5/7 this year but only 3/7 with only 1 win against top 8 opposition last year.

Vastly different in my opinion.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Good one OP

You probably just jinxed us

0/3 to end season ‍♂

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
But we haven’t though? @Nabsolutely Fabulous

The above graph shows us winning 5/7 this year but only 3/7 with only 1 win against top 8 opposition last year.

Vastly different in my opinion.
Look at it how you want, we simply didn't get results when it mattered for another season running. A couple of extra wins makes no difference, the issue of performing during the first half of the season still exists and that's the problem.

Big M

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Reaction score
I may be missing the point and I apologise if I have,but didn’t Pay say that we have inexperienced players and he wants to keep them until they have 50 to 60 + games experience and then the club will reap the benefits and can build the bulldog culture with these players.Then all I hear is we have a shitload of $$$$$ to spend and can virtually buy a premiership in a few years time.In 2021 we will have ten players only on contract and can buy twenty!!! more.Do we have that much coin to throw around and if so what becomes of the so called Bulldog culture? Just asking the question don’t shoot the messenger lol

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I may be missing the point and I apologise if I have,but didn’t Pay say that we have inexperienced players and he wants to keep them until they have 50 to 60 + games experience and then the club will reap the benefits and can build the bulldog culture with these players.Then all I hear is we have a shitload of $$$$$ to spend and can virtually buy a premiership in a few years time.In 2021 we will have ten players only on contract and can buy twenty!!! more.Do we have that much coin to throw around and if so what becomes of the so called Bulldog culture? Just asking the question don’t shoot the messenger lol
I assume we will re-sign at least 5-10 current players then top it up with juniors and players we bring in from other clubs. We will re-sign and sign some players over this off season too so we will have way more then 10 players signed by the end of the 2020 season for 2021.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Imo what we did last year was just jag a few wins. There wasn't anything really to build on.

What we are doing now and how we are playing now Is something we can actually build on. The way we have defended the last three games is nothing like what we have seen in the two years Dean has had the team. All too late yes but if we continue to win games off the back of gritty defense then that is something we can definitely build on going into next year.

Last years wins looked like wins an old Tigers team would dish up every once and a while. Or a Warriors team.

MitchNewton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tough to get a good read on improvement when all our wins are happening when it doesn't matter.

Dont forget last year had realisticly 8 premiership contenders, whereas this year there's really the top 4 and the rest are just making the numbers.
We have beaten teams with everything to play for.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I really don’t get this whole “Not taking our wins now into consideration because it doesn’t matter” notion.

Of course it matters.

We are playing against teams that are desperate for wins to cement their positions in the finals.

Souths were trying to improve to 4th.

Just because we are not a realistic chance to make the 8 doesn’t mean we can’t take our wins now for what they are.

I am seeing obvious improvement.

After already struggling last year and then losing Klemmer and the Morris brothers, I can see why we were struggling for the first half of the year.

On top of that our marquee million dollar player had been in and out like a tampon.

I’m not even pro Pay I’m just pro Bulldogs but fuck me there are a lot of people in here that need to get out more and start being realistic.

I can honestly say I am starting to feel good about the way the club is heading.
We have all had our doubts along the way but let’s see this for what it is.

By the way Raysie I only quoted your post because it was the first one at the top of the page that echoed what I have been reading a lot of lately on here.

In my opinion and certainly in the opinion of the teams we have been beating leading into the finals.

These games definitely matter.
Of course they matter. Our players are getting their experience and learning how to be mentally tough and grind out wins. Big difference from last year. Last year we threw the ball around, this year we’ve dug our heels in and based our wins around our defence. It’s looks like these kids are becoming mentally tougher, patient and control the game better. These wins are very different to last years wins.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We didnt have DWZ last year,he is the difference for mine his overall attitude to playing is lifting the rest of them.He competes on every play and its rubbing off.
So it really was the players that we were missing which was the problem and not Pay being the problem lol

#cattleorthecoach

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
So it really was the players that we were missing which was the problem and not Pay being the problem lol

#cattleorthecoach
Probably should have finished with “despite the coach “ but I took it as a given lol

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Probably should have finished with “despite the coach “ but I took it as a given lol
With one player in DWZ being the catylist for such improvement, it probably highlights, even more , the non effect of Pay as coach.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
There isn't really that much difference from this year to last year.

We dropped way too many games in the first half of the year and left us with no finals hopes with weeks remaining in the season and then hit form after the damage was done.

The first 2 months of next season will tell us if the end of this year was a legitimate building block.
J Moz left a massive hole to plug though.... especially in defence. And as much as I don’t like him, Klemmer was a massive loss too.

I agree next year will tell the real tale, but I’m
Pretty encouraged by the signs I’m seeing. Hopefully this coming off and pre season will be better with players feeling more settled and no big name departures.

Last edited:

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
With one player in DWZ being the catylist for such improvement, it probably highlights, even more , the non effect of Pay as coach.
Agree totally DWZ has had a greater positive impact on this side in a few months than dean has had in two seasons

budgie69

Waterboy
Reaction score
There is absolutely no pressure on us and it’s all on the opposition. They know all week that they have to win while if we win or lose there’s no consequences. When there was consequences earlier in the year we were laying eggs.

Our defence has improved without a doubt but we are still only getting 2-3 tries a game. If we can pull teams down into a arm wrestle we can compete and win.

Going into next season there’s no excuses now there will be little disruptions to the team in the off season. Let’s see what happens hopefully they continue on with this form.

what are you smoking ... we have at least 6 players off contract and we are looking to get a new hooker and possibly center pairing .. no disruptions i think there might be alittle just saying