Opinion Payne in the Hass

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He's unreal.
One of my favorite players in the game at the moment even though he plays for such a shit team.

I am extremely envious of the young crop Brisbane have coming through at the moment. I'd love to have Haas, Fifita, Staggs, pangai, ofeengaue in our side.

Gotta laugh that the broncos have all these and are just scrambling to try and make the eight.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Lol settle
I would have thought the same..

This kid in next level. His acceleration and efforts in long minutes never seem to waiver anymore.

seven07

Kennel Established
Reaction score
By a long margin the best young front row forward I have ever laid eyes on.

19 years old and in an era where the game has increasingly become more and more about physicality over football brains this guy personifies the prototype for a modern day forward. Effort on effort. Big minutes. Imposing. Breaking tackles with shear brute strength coupled with a fend that would swat away a Mack truck.

Will be giving teams headaches while ever he is named in the team list.
Mate I called it months ago and people where laughing at me well here you go.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Yh he's stupidly good, full package at only 19.
Wow
You are saying something positive
Never thought I’d see the day

It isn’t a bulldog player though sooooo?

But it’s a positive post all the same

Good on you,

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Wow
You are saying something positive
Never thought I’d see the day

It isn’t a bulldog player though sooooo?

But it’s a positive post all the same

Good on you,
K.

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Bloke is a weapon, with the glut of gun forwards in Hass, Fifita, Ofahengaue and the bloke I really rate in Carrigan, I wouldn’t of re-signed Lodge...

That’s not great cap management IMO, they have deficiencies in other areas that need $$ spent on.

Plus the bloke is a tool...

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He's a freak of nature and the crazy thing is how consistently dominant he is week after week as a 19 year old prop. It's just a shame he plays for Brisbane.

I think Fifita isn't far off him and hope we make a serious play for him even though he'll likely stay.

JPitz13

Waterboy
Reaction score
By a long margin the best young front row forward I have ever laid eyes on.

19 years old and in an era where the game has increasingly become more and more about physicality over football brains this guy personifies the prototype for a modern day forward. Effort on effort. Big minutes. Imposing. Breaking tackles with shear brute strength coupled with a fend that would swat away a Mack truck.

Will be giving teams headaches while ever he is named in the team list.
He has come along way since 2017 playing 20's and was very average. There are a lot young guns in this age group still waiting to get a chance to do what he is doing in first grade. Good on him!!!

JPitz13

Waterboy
Reaction score
He is better than Taumalolo. I've seen enough.

Unbelievable talent.
Haas needs to play a few more years to truly see if he can maintain his current form or if he is going to be a one hit wonder? But he is doing very well at the moment.

Cosmo24

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He's a freak of nature and the crazy thing is how consistently dominant he is week after week as a 19 year old prop. It's just a shame he plays for Brisbane.

I think Fifita isn't far off him and hope we make a serious play for him even though he'll likely stay.
I wonder if Haas will be happy “only” getting 500k a year putting in consistent performances like he is. Would love for us to make him a bigger offer and get him back to NSW. Not going to happen though

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I wonder if Haas will be happy “only” getting 500k a year putting in consistent performances like he is. Would love for us to make him a bigger offer and get him back to NSW. Not going to happen though
Definitely not. Brisbane won't be able to have him see out that whole deal as he'll want a massive pay rise within a year or so, and deservedly so.

He could threaten to leave and then he'll get upgraded to $1 million or more a season because if they don't pay up, several other clubs will.

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I am predicting contract drama in his future.

There is no way he has signed for $500k a year and will see out the contract. You are going to have managers, family etc in your ear telling you how you are on $500k when you have duds like Milford on $1m.

Look what’s happening to Ponga.

Haas is a million dollar player and $500k is a joke, it’s only a matter of time before things go south and if they do we should be there with the chequebook.

He is Muslim too so would fit right in at belmore.

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Definitely not. Brisbane won't be able to have him see out that whole deal as he'll want a massive pay rise within a year or so, and deservedly so.

He could threaten to leave and then he'll get upgraded to $1 million or more a season because if they don't pay up, several other clubs will.
I don’t understand this. He has a contract so he can’t just leave. He is legally obliged to see out the remainder of his contract unless he has some terms in there and I doubt Brisbane would allow him to have a get out clause which allows him to leave if someone offers a higher price.

I am contradicting what I posted above but it’s shit how players hold clubs to ransom when they have signed a legit contract and the club manages their salary cap based off this.

Unless you have uncle nick or newscorp rorting in the background for your club there is no way you can compete.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
The Courier Mail used the headline "The Hass of Payne" last week.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Calling the young guy better than Jason Taumalolo and co is premature.

Sure he's playing superbly, NOW. Will he still be playing this well next year? 2021? Maybe, maybe not.

True greatness is consistency across a lengthy time period.

Let's wait and see

(for the record I certainly hope he is as good as his potential suggests and have loved watching him play).

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I don’t understand this. He has a contract so he can’t just leave. He is legally obliged to see out the remainder of his contract unless he has some terms in there and I doubt Brisbane would allow him to have a get out clause which allows him to leave if someone offers a higher price.

I am contradicting what I posted above but it’s shit how players hold clubs to ransom when they have signed a legit contract and the club manages their salary cap based off this.

Unless you have uncle nick or newscorp rorting in the background for your club there is no way you can compete.
I don't agree with the tactic but if Brisbane insist on keeping him to that deal for the next several years and he keeps on outperforming it the way he has, then it's only a matter of time before he gets disgruntled and asks for more money. We've seen it numerous times in the past several years and contracts mean nothing these days.

I think Brisbane will throw some more money his way after another season to prevent any dramas and keep him happy otherwise they risk losing potentially the best forward in the comp. Unfortunately players and their agents have way too much power these days.

Last edited:

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
500k in cap space plus a house from a"sponsor" & a car from another "sponsor". Credit card from blah blah blah we know he isn't on 500k