Opinion Bulldogs have equalled the No. of Wins from 2018

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know it doesn't sound like much to celebrate, but after losing both Morris boys and Klemmer, almost everyone had us doing worse this year than last.

If we can snag one win from the last three then we will have won more games than last year. Yeah we are 13th while we finished 12th last year, but if we beat the Eels this coming week and all the other higher placed teams win their games we will move up to 12th.

In fact we only need to win one out of the next 3 games and all the higher placed teams in other games win and we will finish 12th and only 4 points from the 8. Last year while we were 12th we were 14 points from the bottom of the 8.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Tough to get a good read on improvement when all our wins are happening when it doesn't matter.

Dont forget last year had realisticly 8 premiership contenders, whereas this year there's really the top 4 and the rest are just making the numbers.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
It has been a good turn around.
A few weeks ago it was looking 5 or 6 win for the season at best.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
There isn't really that much difference from this year to last year.

We dropped way too many games in the first half of the year and left us with no finals hopes with weeks remaining in the season and then hit form after the damage was done.

The first 2 months of next season will tell us if the end of this year was a legitimate building block.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
It's great winning but just like last year if we start next year the same it's all for nothing. There is no point a run of wins when it no longer counts towards making finals and that's what we are here for. People will say it takes something into the next year but we know that didn't help this year. If anything the recent wins piss me off a little bit it as it proves that we could have done it all along, too many people walking around with excuses!

If we can add even 2 of the blokes being heavily mentioned to us for next year plus Stimson then we will hopefully be looking good towards starting the year 2020 properly and positive.

Headmix

Banned
Reaction score
Hopefully these few wins will prove that it does take time to get a young inexperienced side to work...instead of hitting the panic button and spending millions on 2-3 players and expect them to have any interest other than their back pocket to ride in and save the day. As frustrating as it's been all year I really think Dean Pay was right all along about this group

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Bad start, great finish!! To little too late, mind you if we had of won 1 or 2 of those close ones at the start of the year we would of been a big chance for top 8.

#payout

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tough to get a good read on improvement when all our wins are happening when it doesn't matter.

Dont forget last year had realisticly 8 premiership contenders, whereas this year there's really the top 4 and the rest are just making the numbers.
Exactly! The season has been gone for us for a long time now and praising the results as good as they have been of late and where we now sit on the ladder is only supporting the mediocre performances throughout the year. It's simply not good enough to be playing to avoid the spoon rather than a place in the semis no matter who puts on that Jersey.

If the fans don't vent their frustrations and opinions then we will be showing that we are content with what has been dished out the past couple seasons. It's just not good enough.

I don't see this year being much different to last and saying we are better this year than last is just being naive.

Scorpio

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
In my opinion, these late season wins mean nothing to me...

For me, this season would be a success if Newcastle don't make the eight!!!

BankstownBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

I really don’t get this whole “Not taking our wins now into consideration because it doesn’t matter” notion.

Of course it matters.

We are playing against teams that are desperate for wins to cement their positions in the finals.

Souths were trying to improve to 4th.

Just because we are not a realistic chance to make the 8 doesn’t mean we can’t take our wins now for what they are.

I am seeing obvious improvement.

After already struggling last year and then losing Klemmer and the Morris brothers, I can see why we were struggling for the first half of the year.

On top of that our marquee million dollar player had been in and out like a tampon.

I’m not even pro Pay I’m just pro Bulldogs but fuck me there are a lot of people in here that need to get out more and start being realistic.

I can honestly say I am starting to feel good about the way the club is heading.
We have all had our doubts along the way but let’s see this for what it is.

By the way Raysie I only quoted your post because it was the first one at the top of the page that echoed what I have been reading a lot of lately on here.

In my opinion and certainly in the opinion of the teams we have been beating leading into the finals.

These games definitely matter.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I really don’t get this whole “Not taking our wins now into consideration because it doesn’t matter” notion.

Of course it matters.

We are playing against teams that are desperate for wins to cement their positions in the finals....
Trust me, I'm one of the most positive people on here. Just stating the simple facts.

I'm very happy with the wins, and I do believe there has been improvement this season compared to last season even with the younger and more inexperience squad. I'm also realistic enough to see it's now been 3 years in a row where we've won plenty of games at the back end for it to count to nothing at the beginning of next season.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
In my opinion, these late season wins mean nothing to me...

For me, this season would be a success if Newcastle don't make the eight!!!
You won't have to worry about Newcastle, they aren't winning anything anytime soon.

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
At the end of the day these young blokes we have will get better with more games and if the club lands 2-3 more good signings we will compete again our defence has won us the last few games and to go and lose the experience we have over the last 18 months it’s hard to replace giving that they were rep players and it took balls to do it it was necessary to do it or we would have been like Cronulla 6-7 players taking up half our cap
I’ve said it before the next 12 months are very critical gotta get it right in recruitment and retention and I’m out front office hopefully all that shit has settled and they all on the same path

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

Of course it matters.

We are playing against teams that are desperate for wins to cement their positions in the finals.

Just because we are not a realistic chance to make the 8 doesn’t mean we can’t take our wins now for what they are.

After already struggling last year and then losing Klemmer and the Morris brothers, I can see why we were struggling for the first half of the year.

On top of that our marquee million dollar player had been in and out like a tampon.

I’m not even pro Pay I’m just pro Bulldogs but fuck me there are a lot of people in here that need to get out more and start being realistic.

I can honestly say I am starting to feel good about the way the club is heading.

By the way Raysie I only quoted your post because it was the first one at the top of the page that echoed what I have been reading a lot of lately on here.

In my opinion and certainly in the opinion of the teams we have been beating leading into the finals.

There is absolutely no pressure on us and it’s all on the opposition. They know all week that they have to win while if we win or lose there’s no consequences. When there was consequences earlier in the year we were laying eggs.

Our defence has improved without a doubt but we are still only getting 2-3 tries a game. If we can pull teams down into a arm wrestle we can compete and win.

Going into next season there’s no excuses now there will be little disruptions to the team in the off season. Let’s see what happens hopefully they continue on with this form.

Snowmann

Party Rocker
Reaction score
I have said all along, all I wanna see each week is effort from ALL the boys. We’ve seen plenty of games when some have not put in, but lately it’s been a team effort with multiple players getting everybody’s choice for player of the match, that’s all we can ask for this year after everyone pegged us for the spoon. Fuck me, we’ve even won more game than the March premiers St Merge, and if Finchie sucks us off one more, I’m gonna cum.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

Of course it matters.

When we have done the same thing multiple seasons running, then yes it doesn't matter. Good to enjoy a win, but not worth getting excited about until these performances come early in the season. Lichaa literally earned a contract with us due to his finish to the backend of the 2017 season lol.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
2018 rounds 16-22 ....................................... 2019 rounds 16-22

vs Knights W ........................................ vs Sharks W (E8)
vs Raiders L ........................................ vs Knights W
vs Souths L (1) ........................................ vs Broncs L (7)
vs Parra L ........................................ vs Roosters L (2)
vs Tigers W ........................................ vs Panthers W (E8)
vs Broncs W (7) ........................................ vs Tigers W
vs Manly L ........................................ vs Rabbits W (5)

Having a late surge generally doesn't mean much with players playing for contracts etc. and if the club has had a tough year, but if you look at the above comparison for rounds 16-22 for 2018 and 2019 a couple of things stand out.

#We still had Morris boys and Klem etc. in 2018
#We won 5 from 7 in 2019 compared to 3 from 7 in 2018
#We only beat 1 top 8 side in this period in 2018 and there was only 2 top 8 teams total in those 7 games compared to 5 top 8 teams this year with 3 top 8 wins and the other 2 sides in 2019 (Knights and Tigers still in the hunt for the 8 and we beat both)
#We have strung 3 in a row
#With only the Broncos loss and second half Roosters being really poor effort

We are definitely I believe in a better place than this time last year with a real chance to jag 2 of our last 3 games as wins.

So, as long as they have rectified the pre-season or lack there of, land a couple more decent signings, we could be in reasonable shape for kick off in 2020. So maybe it does matter?

Last edited: