News Belmore Blueprint: Canterbury’s plot to rise from the ashes

off-tap-robbie

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Canterbury have drawn up a 20-player hit list - headed by Latrell Mitchell and the Trbojevic brothers - as the clubs plots it’s rise from the ashes.

The Bulldogs are set to embark on a $7 million spending spree, with Latrell Mitchell and the Trbojevic brothers at the top of a shopping list that could see 20 players recruited to the club by the end of next year.

With 2021 shaping as the Year of the Dog, the Bulldogs have revealed only 10 players are guaranteed to survive beyond 2020, with arguably the club’s most important recruitment drive to start on November 1.

In an exclusive Bulldogs tell-all with The Sunday Telegraph, the Canterbury club have opened up about everything from recruitment to the future of coach Dean Pay.

Promising to return the famous club to an NRL powerhouse, Bulldogs chairwoman Lynne Anderson and CEO Andrew Hill have revealed the plan, 18 months in the making, that could deliver the Bulldogs their first premiership since 2004.

This is the Belmore Blueprint.

THE CHALLENGE

Lynne Anderson was appointed Bulldogs chairwoman 18 months ago after leading the “Reform’’ ticket’’ to a 6-1 election battle win. She promised to return the club to the “Belmore way’’.

Facing a $2.4-million unfair dismissal lawsuit after Des Hasler was sacked — and with a team that had finished season 2017 in 11th position — Anderson knew she was in for a challenge.

What the daughter of Bulldogs founding father Peter “Bullfrog’’ Moore wasn’t expecting was a salary-cap mess.

“Our immediate issue when we were elected was to understand and resolve some key challenges before we could move forward,’’ Anderson said.

“The two key ones were the salary cap and the Des Hasler case. As we were planning the way forward for the Bulldogs, we made a deliberate commitment to not look back, but we can’t deny that we are in this position because of what we found under the bonnet.

“It took us quite a few months to understand the depth of the situation.

“The salary cap has been the main issue and were in a position where we couldn’t buy marquee players for a number of years and we were forced to return to being a true development club once again.’’

A salary-cap rise miscalculation and up to 10 back-ended deals had left the club with almost nothing to spend.

“Essentially, the club in 2017 had been working on a salary cap being significantly higher than what it ended up being,’’ Hill said.

“There were also a number of ratchet clauses and back-ended deals which compounded the issue. We only had the ability to recruit minimum wage players to fill our Top 30 playing group.’’

THE REBUILD

The Bulldogs could have kept the ageing roster that had failed to make the top eight from 2017 to 2019.

“We could have sat there and done nothing for 2019 and 2020,’’ Hill said. “But we chose to act.

“We were able to save money by making some tough decisions with the roster.’’

A number of players, including Aaron Woods, Moses Mbye and Dave Klemmer, left to join other clubs in a move that freed up salary cap cash.

“We made some decisions to move certain players on and replace them with players that created more flexibility around our salary cap.

“The choice was to do nothing or make a tough decision to fast-track the development of some players and be in a position to recruit, which has meant we have put ourselves in a far better situation coming into 2021.’’

The Bulldogs were able to free up the salary cash to sign Nick Meaney, Jack Cogger, Christian Crichton, Corey Harawira-Naera, Dylan Napa and Dallin Watene Zelezniak for 2019 and Joe Stimson and Dean Britt for 2020.

“We are thrilled that these quality players can see what we are building and want to be a part of it,’’ Hill said.

THE DEVELOPMENT

The salary-cap silver lining was that the club reverted to a development policy that, according to Anderson, will soon help the Bulldogs unearth the next generation of stars.

Brandon Wakeham, Morgan Harper and Jackson Topine have all been earmarked for the NRL.

“We have focused on our junior league,’’ Anderson said.

“Our juniors know they will get a chance. We will continue to give them every opportunity and monitor progress from the board down.

“Our Junior League has always been crucial to the Bulldogs and we will protect that. This season Brandon Wakeham and Jayden Okunbor are leading examples of our Junior league commitment.’’

Earlier this year Dave Hamilton was recruited from Canberra to spearhead the pathways program.

“We are focusing on players who are coming through our system and are working hard to re-establish ourselves as a respected development club,’’ Hill said.

“This year we had a total of five players selected in the two Australian schoolboys teams. This is a long play. Our plan is to be a top-four team in every age group. We have enormous potential in our lower grades.

“We also have a relationship with the Mid North Coast and Greater Northern Region, where we are working with the NSW Country Rugby League to ensure that talent is well supported on and off the field,’’ Hill said.

“We obviously want the very best to become future Bulldogs NRL players.’’

THE COACH

Anderson and Hill want to see Dean Pay become the Bulldogs’ long-term coach.

“It has been a tough year but Dean has done well,’’ Anderson said. “We can see the spirit and tenacity he is building in our team, true Bulldogs values.”

Hill outlined several changes to the football department that have been made to help Pay become a career coach.

“The coach is leading the way but we have invested in the entire football program,’’ Hill said.

“There have been a number of appointments, including Steve Price (general manager of football) and Steve Litvensky (football manager), which underpin our football operations.

“In addition, Dave Hamilton and Craig Wilson have joined to focus on our pathways and junior development systems.’’

THE FUTURE

With only 10 players on contract beyond next year, Hill would not rule out signing the biggest names in the game — including the soon-to-be free agent Latrell Mitchell and the Trbojevic brothers.

“We have been linked with a number of players,’’ Hill said.

“Some of the players thrown up are the best players in the game and we will certainly be in a position to attract quality players. We will be in and around those discussions.

“That (2021) is the year where the vast majority of our players are off-contract.

“We have 20 spots up for grabs. We have big decisions to make about both retention and recruitment. We have the opportunity to shape our top 30.’’

Anderson said the club would not be rushed into a recruitment decision, with a recruitment committee.

“We will be patient,’’ Anderson said. “We are looking at where we are now and saying where do we want to be and where are the gaps and what do we need to win a comp.’’

After promising there would be pain before gain, 2021 is shaping as the year of the Bulldog — should the club get it right.

“We have a plan for our future and know where we are heading,’’ Hill said.

“We know where we need to be and what we need to do to get there. We will return the Bulldogs back to being a benchmark club.’’

THE BOARD

Anderson will be forced to find two replacements for the board before next year’s election after Price joined the football department and Steve Mortimer stood down.

“I have been very happy with the way the board has come together so quickly given it was virtually a brand-new team.’’ Anderson said.

“We chose carefully based around what we felt was needed to get the club back on top, both on and off the field, and I have been thrilled with all involved since we came in.

“The seven that came in have done a tremendous job in fixing key challenges, rolling the sleeves up and getting on with planning and guidance for management.

“We have a great working relationship with Hilly and his senior leadership team and are genuinely excited about what lies ahead.

“It’s barely been 18 months, but I think when we look back to what we wanted to do, together with what we found out we needed to do, I’m very happy with what’s been achieved in such a short time.

“We know we will need patience as some changes will take time, but we firmly believe the Bulldogs DNA and historical success in being a development club will lead us back to the top.

“In terms of going forward, Steve Mortimer has made a decision to slow down but will still remain involved with the club — he’s committed to being a part of the Bulldogs rebuild. Pricey will have to step down given his new appointment.

“We will sit down and find the right two people to stand on the ticket with us at the end of the year. We still have seven months to go and our priority is still getting the football business right.’’

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...s/news-story/25a9fcf97e8d22d87efcd21a04a9a8f9

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Take it away People.....

Chimp
Wahesh
Maroondog
Assassin
Boxer
C-b-b
Nab fab

And co lol..!!!

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
"we could have sat there and done nothing, but we chose to act. We were able to save money with some tough decisions with the roster"

Umm, we needed to clear players off our books in order to become cap compliant, I think it's a bit rich seeking kudos for doing something that's in your job description.

And as for wanting pay long term, he still needs to prove he can coach and not fluke his way to a few wins in the back end of the season

Last edited:

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Finally.. The board and CEO are communicating their plan or part there of. Regardless of personal opinions they actually appear to have a plan and are doing their best to implement it. Leaders lead, not always with total support but they lead.

Good stuff.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sounds like an honest and open discussion with Anderson. Much of what she says is reassuring; but I doubt those top players mentioned will be lured away from the Chooks and Sea Eagles. Still, the concept of developing local talent is a good one.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
It's pretty much a rehash of what's been said since they were elected, I'm not having a go, just saying.

The recruitment committee was 3, now it's 5, which is fine, more opinions will hopefully make sure we're getting the right players.

With 20 spots to fill they'll have to be sensible with who they recruit and how they spend. Latrell is a massive risk and I don't think they're considering him as a genuine option. Turbo boys won't go from Manly. But I'm sure there's others available for sensible money like DWZ who can make a real difference to our team.

Aristidiz

Bullwog
Reaction score
Makes sense, players start playing better towards the end of the year because contracts are on the line

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
They timed these pieces well didn't they lol.

Look I'm proud of our game tonight and let's face it, the results of the last 7 weeks are now on the board.

I'm happy the club has atleast released some info like this, stumbling around in the dark as a fan with no hope isn't fun at all.

Go dogs!

obje

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Mitchell is gonna replace Holland for sure. Never getting the Turbos.

We only had the ability to recruit minimum wage players to fill our Top 30 playing group.’’
Everyone who thinks we're underperforming needs to read and understand this line 10,000 times.

They sound like they have a legitimate plan and realistic timelines. Nothing outrageous or blue sky thinking. Compared with 2015 when we were gonna win "Two premierships by 2019".

ElMagicElMasri

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Absolutely nothing has been achieved yet. Next 12 months will decide whether we go for a Parra-esque drought or win a comp in the next few years.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
To be fair to the board it’s better than Raelene 2 championship by 2020 and a rockstar fullback call lol

I’m just happy we won tonight beat a team I hate slightly less than the Roosters

The other shit can wait till tomorrow

Reactions: DT

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
How much are we willing to pay for Latrell to play at Centre? I've always thought we'd have to throw Fullback money at him (which Roosters can't compete with) and play him at Fullback. Also people need to stop saying there's no chance we get the Trbojevic brothers, why are they still waiting to resign with Manly? November is right around the corner. 1.3m for Tom, 1.2m for Jake, they're both 1m players, we're over paying, but for them 2 I think it'd be worth it.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
This is screams 2 premierships by 2020 again. Is there an election coming up?

Packstar

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It's pretty much a rehash of what's been said since they were elected, I'm not having a go, just saying.

The recruitment committee was 3, now it's 5, which is fine, more opinions will hopefully make sure we're getting the right players.

With 20 spots to fill they'll have to be sensible with who they recruit and how they spend. Latrell is a massive risk and I don't think they're considering him as a genuine option. Turbo boys won't go from Manly. But I'm sure there's others available for sensible money like DWZ who can make a real difference to our team.
Everyone knows Latrell and Turbo bros are no chance to go anywhere.

They have their targets and for obvious reasons they will not show their true cards. If they did, they would be dumb as fuck

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
To be fair to the board it’s better than Raelene 2 championship by 2020 and a rockstar fullback call lol

I’m just happy we won tonight beat a team I hate slightly less than the Roosters

The other shit can wait till tomorrow
Got to admit it was funny as fuk to see that looked after team in the Storm lose too though!

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Credit where credit is due. The board inherited an abysmal mess from an inept board lead by a tyrant who gave the green light to heinous commercial decisions regarding our cap. The current board have offloaded players who would never have won us a premiership because they are not competitors. CHN, DWZ & stimson are really good recruitment decisions and Pay, regardless of how his decisions look on the outside, has a cohesive happy squad who play for one another. Tonight's game bought me back to the dogs of old who never give anyone an easy game. That is all I ever wanted plus a junior system that kept supplying players who hated losing. Onward to 2021!

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Dallin's doing a great job at Fullback, but Tom is 1 of the best Fullbacks in the game that a lot of people would pick to build their club around. Also there are only 3 premium Wingers off contract, Oates, Cotric and Vunivalu. We're not sticking with Meaney and Okunbor is behind Meaney atm. Dallin is also a great Winger.

obje

Kennel Established
Reaction score
How much are we willing to pay for Latrell to play at Centre? I've always thought we'd have to throw Fullback money at him (which Roosters can't compete with) and play him at Fullback. Also people need to stop saying there's no chance we get the Trbojevic brothers, why are they still waiting to resign with Manly? November is right around the corner. 1.3m for Tom, 1.2m for Jake, they're both 1m players, we're over paying, but for them 2 I think it'd be worth it.
Man they're so obviously attached to the club it'd be madness to see them leave. You can just tell they won't leave, not now, maybe in a few years but certainly not now.

Reactions: DT

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
On a positive note if we can get Latrell and the turbo bros it won’t matter who the coach is................Fmd

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
On a positive note if we can get Latrell and the turbo bros it won’t matter who the coach is................Fmd
I knew one of you would strike lol.. well done brother :grinning: made me proud :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy: