Opinion Give Dean Pay a contract next year

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He's already got a contract for next year, give him until round 10, if we're only 3/10 and get pumped on several occasions like this year then for the love of all that's holy don't re-sign him and go after someone else

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He will be there next year, and for a few years after that.
He is steadily recruiting a team of players that will take us to the next level.
Really, he hasnt done to bad with some of the players he inherited.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Give him a shot at the salary cap"

And if that doesn't work we are back to square one where we need a new coach to come in and he would overhaul the roster, again. Another rebuild after the rebuild. An Ivan Cleary, West's Tigers sequel.

The strategy needs to be a long term coach with his own roster that he is accountable for. Unfortunately Pay isn't that man imo.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
For me Pay would have to reach Top 6 next year regardless of the team he has to warrant a contract extension. Plus he will have to stop chopping and changing the team every week, stop playing favourites and completely improve both attack and defence out of site. You just don't throw 8 mil and the keys to the car to anyone, hardly ever do club's get to have almost a full salary cap to use. You can't just piss it against the wall......again.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He was already handed one extension before he deserved it and now you want to give him another one? Whatever happened to making someone earn a new deal through results?

Coming second last with a 13 point scoring average which is way below every other team aren't exactly extension worthy results.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Can we delete stupid posts of this kind that are only made to bait people and start shit.

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He will be there next year, and for a few years after that.
He is steadily recruiting a team of players that will take us to the next level.
Really, he hasnt done to bad with some of the players he inherited.
Lol at being here for a few years after

Vek

Kennel Established
Reaction score
My concern with pay isnt the roster. Its his ability (or lack thereof) to identify strengths and weaknesses of our players and improve them/incorporate them into a gameplan of some kind. That is what I coach should do regardless of roster.

Im not saying we should be part of the top 8 or pushing finals, no. But we should have done a lot better at the start of the season.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Pretty sure Pricey has a fair opinion on this one and that there is already a review in place 5-10 rounds into the 2020 season.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
What will happen to the staunch Pay haters once he returns this club to being a force?

Serious question. Like is there a swamp somewhere for them all to retreat to?

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I personally couldn't give a rats. I'm more interested in the players we're getting TBH
Same here. Although if we do mange to get a few good signings and we still go shit house then they have to get a new coach.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let him sign some players and we go from there. Give him a shot at the Salery cap. It’s unfair to judge him off a team he inherited.
Remember last year ?,they performed at the backend of the season when there was nothing to play for except the spoon,have u seen any structures in defence,the worst in the league 2 years running,our attack abysmal 2 years running,and Aidan Tolman hitting the ball up on the attacking twenty every fourth tackle,?

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Same here. Although if we do mange to get a few good signings and we still go shit house then they have to get a new coach.
Definitely, means the coach isn't doing his job and in such needs to go.

I'm neither pro or against Pay but I'll make my feelings felt on the matter, the bigger picture is I just want our club and team to be successful no matter who is coaching. That is the main goal.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
What will happen to the staunch Pay haters once he returns this club to being a force?

Then he gets praise, simple. Nothing wrong with changing my opinion over time when the facts change. But right now, I think he's shit and we could do better by actively searching for better options.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Couldn't understand what was said above it just sounded like...

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Mate I honestly don't think Pay is any different to the way Anderson or Folksey coached us. Both very old fashioned, although Folkesy was big on fitness which got us home on many occasions.
Pay is sort of the same mould. Anderson had another coach on the field at the time in Terry Lamb, Baa kept the team united and together. Folksey had one of the best influx of junior talent coming through, whether it was via another club or through our own juniors, they all pretty much came on the scene together or a few years apart. Patten, Mason, Utai, Anasta, Harris, El-Masri(part Anderson, part Folkes era), Talau(from park footy), SBW, Thurston, Sherwin, Asotasi etc.

I was always a strong believer that a first grade coach didn't have to teach a player how to play the game the player has been playing all his life.
If a player couldn't pass left to right, then he shouldn't be playing first grade, it's not up to the coach to teach that. You shouldn't have to micro manage first graders.
But I'm old school anyway