• Dragons

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Bulldogs

Votes: 2 4.2%

• Total voters

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

How every Sydney NRL team stacks up as relocation debate intensifies.Source: FOX SPORTS
Rugby league legends Mark Geyer and Gorden Tallis believe a set of key performance indicators should be applied to the NRL’s Sydney clubs to determine who should relocate.

Geyer reckons clubs should be judged over the next five seasons on sponsorship dollars, average crowd figures, on-field success and commitment to junior football.

So how are the Sydney clubs currently faring?

Sharks cap crisis... already?

Foxsports.com.au has run the rule over all nine, looking at 2019 memberships, average crowd numbers in Sydney since 2015, finals appearances and the junior players in their first grade squads.

BULLDOGS

Memberships: 18,273

Average crowd at Sydney venues over past five years: 15,011 (54 games)

Juniors: Marcelo Montoya, Brandon Wakeham, Jayden Okunbor, Tuipulotu Katoa, Kayne Kalache

Finals series appearances since 2014: Three

Premierships since 2014: Nil

Bulldogs fans at Belmore Sports Ground.Source: News Corp Australia
SHARKS

Memberships: 15,795

Average crowd at Sydney venues over past five years: 12,785 (57 games)

Juniors: Bronson Xerri, Chad Townsend, Kyle Flanagan, Billy Magoulias, Blayke Brailey, Jayden Brailey, Scott Sorensen

Finals series appearances since 2014: Four

Premierships since 2014: One (2016)

The Sharks broke their title drought in 2016.Source: Getty Images
SEA EAGLES

Memberships: 12,435

Average crowd at Sydney venues over past five years: 10,529 (48 games)

Juniors: Brad Parker, Tom Trbojevic, Jake Trbojevic

Finals series appearances since 2014: Two

Tom and Jake Trbojevic are Manly juniors.Source: News Corp Australia
EELS

Memberships: 25,250

Average crowd at Sydney venues over past five years: 14,602 (52 games)

Juniors: Tepai Moeroa, Tim Mannah, Junior Paulo, Stefano Utoikamanu, Haze Dunster

Finals series appearances since 2014: One

Shaun Lane lands in hot water

1:18
PANTHERS

Memberships: 19,920

Average crowd at Sydney venues over past five years: 13,114 (53 games)

Juniors: Jarome Luai, Jed Cartwright, Malakai Watene-Zelezniak, Nathan Cleary, Tyrone May, Brian To’o, Spencer Leniu, Dean Blore, Stephen Crichton, Shawn Blore, Moses Leota, Reagan Campbell-Gillard, Sione Katoa, Tim Grant, Tyrell Fuimaono, Mitchell Kenny

Finals series appearances since 2014: Four

Nathan Cleary is just one of a host of local products at the Panthers.Source: AAP
RABBITOHS

Memberships: 29,597

Average crowd at Sydney venues over past five years: 14,358 (45 games)

Juniors: Adam Reynolds, Alex Johnston, Dean Hawkins, Campbell Graham, James Roberts, Joshua Cook, Ky Rodwell, Cameron Murray, John Sutton, Keaon Koloamatangi

Finals series appearances since 2014: Three

Premierships since 2014: One (2014)

Positives to take from loss

DRAGONS

Memberships: 20,642

Average crowd at Sydney venues over past five years (Wollongong incl): 13,714 (56 games)

Juniors: Tyson Frizell, Matthew Dufty, Jai Field, Blake Lawrie, Jackson Ford, Jacob Host, Joe Lovodua, Tariq Sims, Korbin Sims, Luciano Leilua

Finals series appearances since 2014: Two

Tyson Frizell is a Dragons junior from the Corrimal Cougars.Source: AAP

ROOSTERS

Memberships: 16,264

Average crowd at Sydney venues over past five years: 13,887 (49 games)

Juniors: Lachlan Lam, Victor Radley

Finals series appearances since 2014:Four

Premierships since 2014: One (2018)

Roosters supporting Mitchell

2:34
WESTS TIGERS

Memberships: 20,155

Average crowd at Sydney venues over past five years: 14,226 (54 games)

Juniors: Robbie Farah, David Nofoaluma, Luke Brooks, Chris Lawrence

Finals series appearances since 2014: Nil

Wests Tigers junior Robbie Farah at Leichhardt Oval.Source: Getty Images

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...n/news-story/2a8e660b633a2503287736f4ac684985

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Tigers would be my pick. Exile them to Tasmania and re brand them as the Tasmanian Tigers. It's time to grow our nursery & fan-base :grinning:

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
All the Sydney teams have a purpose here. Love them or hate them, they all cover a district. I mean it doesn't feel right (to me) that we have 2 of the foundation clubs merged, and another foundation club, North Sydney, in the NSW Cup. I'm all for expansion, not relocation.

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
All the Sydney teams have a purpose here. Love them or hate them, they all cover a district. I mean it doesn't feel right (to me) that we have 2 of the foundation clubs merged, and another foundation club, North Sydney, in the NSW Cup. I'm all for expansion, not relocation.
Agree, but there just isnt enough talent to distribute over more teams.
And the crowds these days are very disappointing.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
Except the sharks they are the youngest team only 50 years old and only win by cheating

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It shouldn't be based off results, it should be based on the viability of the club.

If a club is clearly struggling to keep afloat and relying on hand outs, then sometimes time is just up.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
the Titans are a basket case, the Broncos have jealously kept Brisbane all to themselves, Newcastle have what 4 spoons in the last 14-15 years and have been financially mismanaged, the Warriors are perennial underachievers, Canberra have had one great team in its entire history, it took the Cowboys a decade to become relevant and let's see how they now fare after losing Thurston etc... and how many other expansion franchises have gone the way of the dodo? Rams, Reds, Mariners, Crushers, Giants...

seriously, outside of the Broncos and Storm, what is so bloody good about the regional teams?

not to mention the fact that however you want to brand the comp from NSWRL, to ARL, to Super League, to NRL etc., at its heart, it is a Sydney comp... are we to sacrifice in some cases 100+ years of history for the promise that a Perth team or a second NZ team or another South-East Qld team is going to be a success? I wonder how Bears fans feel about being forced to merge with Manly because the comp could only sustain 14 teams and then fall away from the NRL altogether only to see the Rabbits reinstated and the comp expanded to accommodate the dysfunctional Titans

and no doubt, only recent KPIs will be taken into account when it comes to relocation and not prolonged success for decades

the Sydney NRL teams should not allow themselves to be led down the garden path by these people

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
ideally, I would like to see an 18 team comp with 2 conferences, a Sydney conference and a regional conference, with 9 teams each... you play everyone in your conference twice, home and away, and you play teams in the other conference once for a total 25 game season with an 8-team finals series as is... the regional conference to include an additional second Brisbane team, a second NZ team, and a Perth team

I think the Sydney crowds would spike in such a situation where we play traditional rivals more often in new stadiums... the regional teams travel every second week and so, I do not see where they would be prejudiced... the game should look to lock down Brisbane and a city derby in a city of 2+ million people is a no-brainer... Perth is a growing market with strong sporting infrastructure

does the game have the money and playing numbers for the above? probably not

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
At present the NRL would have us close to the top of the list for relocation. The team that should be relocated is the Rotters, very few fans inspite of the fact that they have been successful lately, no juniors, poor crowds, only thing they have going for them is a few millionaires and CH9.
Rugby League is supposed to be a working mans game not a toy to inflate the ego of millionaires.

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
I have no confidence in the nrl board or CEO. It's the worst run professional sport on the planet . Crowds walked away because they sold their soul to tv. Monday night, Thurs night's and early Fri night games hurt club's, revenue, and keep crowds away but not tv. We have the best product in this country and we still allow tv to dictate. The nrl need strong sports administrators not politicians. John Quayle is by far the best we have had and still have. Peter V'landys, Phil Gould are 2 others who are needed for business and management smarts. Nrl act like they are still owned and run by the media .

Last edited:

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I have no confidence the the nrl board or CEO. It's the worst run professional sport on the planet . Crowds walked away because they sold their soul to tv. Monday night, Thurs night's and early Fri night games hurt club's, revenue, and keep crowds away but not tv. We have the best product in this country and we still allow tv to dictate. The nrl need strong sports administrators not politicians. John Quayle is by far the best we have had and still have. Peter V'landys, Phil Guild are 2 others who are needed for business and management smarts. Nrl act like they are still owned and run by the media .
With Fox loosing money hand over fist, the next tv deal won't be as good.

Then we'll really see the damage that's been done to the game by these NRLol dills.

Less money to hand out and prop up lack of crowds etc.

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Unlike the roosters our crowds are usually based on performance. In 2012 it was almost at 23k average, currently it sits are 13k.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
the Titans are a basket case, the Broncos have jealously kept Brisbane all to themselves, Newcastle have what 4 spoons in the last 14-15 years and have been financially mismanaged, the Warriors are perennial underachievers, Canberra have had one great team in its entire history, it took the Cowboys a decade to become relevant and let's see how they now fare after losing Thurston etc... and how many other expansion franchises have gone the way of the dodo? Rams, Reds, Mariners, Crushers, Giants...

seriously, outside of the Broncos and Storm, what is so bloody good about the regional teams?

not to mention the fact that however you want to brand the comp from NSWRL, to ARL, to Super League, to NRL etc., at its heart, it is a Sydney comp... are we to sacrifice in some cases 100+ years of history for the promise that a Perth team or a second NZ team or another South-East Qld team is going to be a success? I wonder how Bears fans feel about being forced to merge with Manly because the comp could only sustain 14 teams and then fall away from the NRL altogether only to see the Rabbits reinstated and the comp expanded to accommodate the dysfunctional Titans

and no doubt, only recent KPIs will be taken into account when it comes to relocation and not prolonged success for decades

the Sydney NRL teams should not allow themselves to be led down the garden path by these people
Best post I've read in ages.

Berries

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I think it’s pretty shit to kick a team out based on current form. Imagine Manly getting kicked out for hypothetical reasons when they have been dominating most years since 2006 yet Parramatta survive, literal last placed most years.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
‘You get embarrassed’: Gorden Tallis backs calls to relocate Sydney NRL team
Rugby League great Gorden Tallis has joined Andrew Johns in calling for the relocation of a Sydney NRL team, believing KPIs must be introduced to force a move.

Staff writers
FOX SPORTSAUGUST 12, 20191:48PM

Gorden Tallis has called on KPI’s to be introduced to force the relocation of a Sydney NRL team.Source:AAP

Rugby League great Gorden Tallis has joined Andrew Johns in calling for the relocation of a Sydney NRL team, believing key performance indicators must be introduced to force a move.

Tallis, speaking on Triple M, labelled some Sydney crowds “embarrassing” and called for the NRL to become a truly national competition.

“Could the NRL put in some key performance indicators to move one of the Sydney teams?” Tallis asked.

“You go ask Newtown, North Sydney would you be playing on the Central Coast now or not be in the competition, because it’s about surviving, it’s about growing the game.”

Asked what KPIs would determine which side got relocated, Tallis said match attendance.

“It’s got to go on fans,” he said. “It’s got to go on filling a stadium. It’s got to go on people wanting to watch you, coming through the gate to pay to watch your brand, your style of football.”

Tallis was then grilled on the possibility of his Gold Coast Titans side being the only team not to fulfil the KPIs.

“I’d say yep correct, 100 per cent, but they are not on top of the table.”

“Roosters are on top of the table and count their fans with a fork to get their numbers up.

“We‘ve got to be strong enough. That’s why we are getting beat. South Melbourne might have been a club that started 100 years ago but now they’re the Sydney Swans and they’ve got 40,000 NSW fans going to watch them every second weekend they play.

“There’s nothing worse when you watch a game of footy and there’s no one there, you get embarrassed.”

Tallis’ comments come after rugby league immortal Andrew Johns endorsed a an NRL team on the NSW Central Coast.

“I think it’s a must,” Johns told Wide World of Sports’ Immortal Behaviour.

“At the Central Coast they have a stadium up there and they have a huge junior base. There are so many players play up there, so you can get the best kids aspiring to play for the Central Coast.

“Once again there are too many teams in Sydney but how do we rationalise that and get it down to say six teams in Sydney? I’m not sure but I think they need a team definitely,” he said of the Central Coast.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Talis has a point what's the use of being the top of the table Roosters if you have no fans :grinning:

Cosmo24

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I actually agree with Gordy about crowd numbers being a KPI, however the game day experience needs to improve to be worth the money or just reduce the prices of tickets, food and drinks to make it worthwhile.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Talis has a point what's the use of being the top of the table Roosters if you have no fans :grinning:
You can buy a premiership team but you can't buy fans lol.

For once Gordy made sense and I agree with it. Still, the Roosters could have 1 fan and I doubt they would relocate them. We should be pretty safe too I would reckon. Parramatta are probably safe now with their new stadium as would be Penrith. South's are a Nrlol favorites so they would be safe. So it leaves Manly, West Tigers and Cronulla. Out of those 3 you would think Cronulla would be the logical choice, followed by the West Tigers.

I didn't include St George as if anything was to happen they would just take up the Illawarra area fulltime.