Little Willie Jnr makes debut for Tigers

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Remember Willie Talau? We used to call him little Willie as he played alongside Big Willie Mason (and before Willie Tonga). His son is making his debit for the Tigs, and it makes me feel old...

Tommy Talau son of former Bulldog Willie to debut for Wests Tigers
By Matt Encarnacion
15 hours agound 8
Wests Tigers coach Michael Maguire will let others see if Tommy Talau bears a striking resemblance to his old man, Willie, when he debuts on Thursday night.

But if they're counting on physical traits alone, they might miss him.

Willie stood at 182 centimetres and weighed around 93 kilograms for most of the six seasons he spent in the centres at Canterbury between 1998-03.

Tommy Talau will debut for Maguire. (wests tigers)

Tommy, who will be unleashed against Manly in the same position, enters the league two kilograms heavier and seven centimetres taller than his dad.

"Yeah, he's a good size. We need a bit of that," Maguire said.

Tommy shone in the Bulldogs' under-18s team last year, guiding them to the grand final before being picked in the Australian Schoolboys team.

But he was lured to the Tigers on a development contract and began in the under-20s, before being fast-tracked to their reserve grade team.

Willie Talau during his time with the Bulldogs. (Getty)
The 19-year-old was moved into the club's full-time squad in June.

Now, after spending a number of weeks on an extended bench, Talau gets his chance following a hip flexor injury to skipper Moses Mbye.

"There's nothing better than being able to blood a young kid that's been doing a lot of work in the background," Maguire said.

"He's young, coming into the team, and throughout the season I've really seen him develop his game and it's really well deserved."

TigerCast@CastTiger

Excited to see Tommy Talau on Thursday. Very talented and by all reports has a fantastic work ethic. A lot of our young gun backs have been on the small side over the years but have a look at him next to Mal Meninga. Physically he is ready

4:07 PM - Aug 13, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy

See TigerCast's other Tweets

But Maguire declined to be drawn on whether Tommy drew any comparisons to his father, who scored nine tries in 13 Tests for New Zealand.

"Look, I think I'll let everyone else determine that when he plays. I think he'll forge his own name as he goes throughout his career," Maguire said.

"It's a good story, Tommy.

"To see how he's come in as a real young kid there at the start of the year and he's been able to watch some really professional players in front of him.

"He's really taken that on board. I think it's great to see him having a run."

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
The only reason i can think of that we let him go, is we have a glut of junior and fringe backs, and what we really needs is 1 or 2 experienced ones at this time

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
This really rubs me up the wrong way. He will be a gun. Should be with us.

Last edited:

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
The only reason i can think of that we let him go, is we have a glut of junior and fringe backs, and what we really needs is 1 or 2 experienced ones at this time
Yet we insist on clogging up the ranks with useless players like Montoya and Holland. He even looks stronger than Harper who is yet to debut.

No wonder Willie was pissed...and now we bring in Britt's boy.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did we let him go or did he just reject our offer? We recruit reserve graders instead of giving our juniors a go by the looks of it

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Size don’t mean shit. Judge him on performance nothing else.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Another what’ could have been.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Is Willie still Dragons Jersey Flegg coach? Will we see the rest of his boys leave?

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
For a team that's supposed to be rebuilding, it never made sense to let go of one of your most promising juniors, especially one who's dad was a cult hero at the club.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
For a team that's supposed to be rebuilding, it never made sense to let go of one of your most promising juniors, especially one who's dad was a cult hero at the club.
He wanted to leave for a fresh start
Club couldn’t do anyhting

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He wanted to leave for a fresh start
Club couldn’t do anyhting
It's not often 19 year olds leave for a fresh start though..

It sounds like Willie wasn't happy with the club so he left. So if that's true, then you're right, then it would have been hard to change his mind. But it begs the question as to how things got to the point where he or Willie wanted him to leave? Was it a falling out with coaches? Club officials?

You have to admit it's strange losing such a highly rated prospect when we developed him, had cap space and have a weak squad that desperately needs an infusion of young talent.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It's not often 19 year olds leave for a fresh start though..

It sounds like Willie wasn't happy with the club so he left. So if that's true, then you're right, then it would have been hard to change his mind. But it begs the question as to how things got to the point where he or Willie wanted him to leave? Was it a falling out with coaches? Club officials?

You have to admit it's strange losing such a highly rated prospect when we developed him, had cap space and have a weak squad that desperately needs an infusion of young talent.
Na wanted to get out of dads shadow basically
No dramas, even him n willie said that
Wanted to make a name for himself and not be “willies son” thought best way to do that was out of bulldogs
Simple as that

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
He is a f@#king gun.
He is actually a 5/8.
Who did we give development contracts to instead?
Jarred Anderson - Who left mid season to Newcastle reggies and now has pulled the pin I believe. At least in any professional capacity.

James Roumanos - Upgraded to top 30.

Morgan Harper - Upgraded to top 30.

Isaiah Tass - Upgraded to top 30 next season.

Tui Katoa

Connelly Lemuelu - Leaving for Cowboys.

Gabe

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Jarred Anderson - Who left mid season to Newcastle reggies and now has pulled the pin I believe. At least in any professional capacity.

James Roumanos - Upgraded to top 30.

Morgan Harper - Upgraded to top 30.

Isaiah Tass - Upgraded to top 30 next season.

Tui Katoa

Connelly Lemuelu - Leaving for Cowboys.
On top of the top 30, there are 6 development spots.

Looks like Willie T junior couldn't make our top 36 for 2019!