News Bulldogs face dilemma as club can’t afford Koroisau, Ramien and Ese’ese

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Take this with a grain of salt, last year we were getting smashed in the media "we have no money" " we only have 14 players signed for next year"........next minute we are signing CHN, Crighton, Cogger, Meaney, Sue

But if we have to sacrifice 1 signing it will be Ese Ese Surely
Yes, last year. Crichton, Cogger and Meaney wouldn't be on much. Probably same as Sue. They were just depth signings and 2 (3 maybe if Sue was fit) are playing in our 17 currently. 2020 we have a little bit of money (~1m), 2021 we have a lot of money (~3m, assuming we use the 2020 1m). How much we have slightly changes on who we retain and for what price, but going of what I think will happen (definitely not 100%) that's the amount we have to spend.

Last edited:

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not once did Ramien passed the ball!
Remis would get a cold sitting out on the wing..
What do you expect, it's a highlights package showing mostly him scoring tries.

dogbone

Kennel Established
Reaction score
You don’t know much about footy if you think api isn’t much better than what we currently got....
We'll agree to disagree. It's not that i don't think he'd be a good signing, i just don't want us to pay overs to get him and then miss out on making an offer for someone better a year later, either a half or fullback, etc. Api does have the luxury of playing with a quality 7 & 1 most weeks. Something JMK has never had.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Koroisau for 400k would be massive for us. 500k gets iffy and anything after that would be crazy. Outside Grant for 2021 not sure what other Hooker's are available that we'd be happy with signing.

dogbone

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Comparing the stats of Api & JMK (and i know stats don't always tell the full story) but I'll compare the two anyway. JMK is relatively new to the role and is getting better week to week, plays in a weaker team made up of mainly rookies in key positions. The opposite can be said of Api. Ok so far:
- JMK has 1 try assist and 1 line break assist, 1 try, made 664 tackles and 768 running metres from 19 games (where he shares the role mostly with Lichaa)
- Api has 0 try assists, 0 line break assists, 1 try, 458 tackles made, and 660 running metres from 16 games. ( he also shares the role with Manase Fain, who has much better stats...)
So there you have it, read into that what you will but don't for 1 minute think a guy like Api will turn our team around. He's no more a threat out of dummy half than what we currently have, only the fact that he plays in a better team. What we lack out of dummy half is vision and Api isn't the answer there either from what i've seen.

For the record, in terms of try assists Cook leads the way on 17, then Hodgson & Smith have 10 and Farah has 7....

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Comparing the stats of Api & JMK (and i know stats don't always tell the full story) but I'll compare the two anyway. JMK is relatively new to the role and is getting better week to week, plays in a weaker team made up of mainly rookies in key positions. The opposite can be said of Api. Ok so far:
- JMK has 1 try assist and 1 line break assist, 1 try, made 664 tackles and 768 running metres from 19 games (where he shares the role mostly with Lichaa)
- Api has 0 try assists, 0 line break assists, 1 try, 458 tackles made, and 660 running metres from 16 games. ( he also shares the role with Manase Fain, who has much better stats...)
So there you have it, read into that what you will but don't for 1 minute think a guy like Api will turn our team around. He's no more a threat out of dummy half than what we currently have, only the fact that he plays in a better team. What we lack out of dummy half is vision and Api isn't the answer there either from what i've seen.

For the record, in terms of try assists Cook leads the way on 17, then Hodgson & Smith have 10 and Farah has 7....
Mate I really think JMK is coming along nicely and could be the answer moving forward, if he works on his fitness and speed (both running and quick distribution) he could be that hooker we've been wanting.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

There is one massive difference in the stats and that's line engagements JMK has 13 to Api's 47 and the expose's JMK's biggest problem that is he never engages the markers and that means the defence can rush up and pressure the halves.
I disagree on Api not having vision at dummy half he has it in spades and is quite creative.
I think both could work in tandem similar to what Api and Fainu do at Manly now.

Last edited:

dogbone

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Fair point Spoonman. Up until the game vs the Dragons i would have been delighted in a signing like Api because up until then Marshall-King showed absolutely nothing out of dummy-half to suggest he may be a long term option. But that day he started to run and he backed it up the following week against the Roosters so maybe there is something there. I don't know how much hooker he has played in the lower grades, if any, but he might be worth persisting with... He still has a lot to learn no doubt about it. I don't have a problem with the club going after Api as we will need someone to replace Lichaa, i just dont want us paying overs to get him here is all.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Fair point Spoonman. Up until the game vs the Dragons i would have been delighted in a signing like Api because up until then Marshall-King showed absolutely nothing out of dummy-half to suggest he may be a long term option. But that day he started to run and he backed it up the following week against the Roosters so maybe there is something there. I don't know how much hooker he has played in the lower grades, if any, but he might be worth persisting with... He still has a lot to learn no doubt about it. I don't have a problem with the club going after Api as we will need someone to replace Lichaa, i just dont want us paying overs to get him here is all.
There is no doubt that JMK has improved his game but we have been burnt before with Lichaa doing something late in the season. As you say we need a another hooker in the squad and if that's Api it will be a great buy.
Api is fairly experienced too I'm sure he will teach JMK some of the finer details. I'm confident we aren't going to be paying overs seeing as the negotiations are still going I'd be a bit worried we were paying overs if he signed straight away.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Our whole team has looked better late in the season. Even Meaney who was getting flamed hard on the Wing. We want to compete from the start of the year. Need to spend $ and bring in some better players.

Vek

Kennel Established
Reaction score
You can't say Lewis can play Centre. That's the biggest gamble ever, which would probably end with Lewis out of the side and Holland coming back in... I personally don't think Lewis has the skill set for any position other then Halfback, I'm not sure why people keep saying he's a Centre, Hooker, Lock, etc...
Because his halfback skills arent that great to being with. Keep Cogger and Foran/Wakeham in the halves. Lewis is a better option than holand, we need that extra defence on the other side of the field.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Mate I really think JMK is coming along nicely and could be the answer moving forward, if he works on his fitness and speed (both running and quick distribution) he could be that hooker we've been wanting.
Said last yr Jmk will become one of if not the most valuable utilities in the game.. I think he should strive for just being a good all round footballer. When we have that available on the bench then why not go after a top class rake. Just wish the likes of Manohey or Mcinnes were off contract.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
There is one massive difference in the stats and that's line engagements JMK has 13 to Api's 47 and the expose's JMK's biggest problem that he never engages the markers and so they can rush up and pressure the halves.
I disagree on Api not having vision at dummy half he has it in spades and it quite creative.
I think both could work in tandem similar to what Api and Fainu do at Manly now.
47 more reasons why our halves play better when the team is moving forward and the opposition on the back foot.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Ramien and Api at 450k each... mint.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Korisau is not worth 450k

Young Fainu is out playing him, also Korisau is injury prone like Foran. Hasler will sell us another big money Manly dud I reckon.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Korisau is not worth 450k

Young Fainu is out playing him, also Korisau is injury prone like Foran. Hasler will sell us another big money Manly dud I reckon.
Api is a pretty good hooker and if we get the best of him his every bit worth that 450k. Your right it is a gamble but it could pay off, handsomely.