News First in: Bulldogs table offers to star trio but can only afford two

BulldogsNRL

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Canterbury have tabled three-year offers to Jesse Ramien, Apisai Koroisau and Herman Ese’ese, although the "Family Club" only has the salary cap space to accommodate two of them.

The Bulldogs are one of the few clubs that have the funds required to recruit for next season without having to move on any of their current players. The Warriors are also keen on Koroisau after deciding not to offer veteran hooker Issac Luke a new contract, and it’s understood Canterbury can’t compete with the offer coming from the other side of the Tasman.

Koroisau has two years remaining on his existing deal but Manly have given him permission to explore his options. The Sea Eagles have identified young gun Manase Fainu as their long-term No.9 and are trying to free up the salary cap space required to retain Jake and Tom Trbojevic before they become free agents on November 1.

Ese’ese is deemed surplus to requirements at Newcastle following the arrival of David Klemmer, although Nathan Brown has called him up to replace Tim Glasby (concussion) for the clash with North Queensland.

Ramien has also fallen out with Newcastle and is looking for an opportunity that provides him with better pay and more football. The Cowboys are another contender for his services, while several other clubs are keen if they can offload players.

Ramien said he harboured no ill feelings towards the Knights after being told he would not play for the club again.

“Obviously at the end of the day it didn’t work out,” Ramien told NITV’s Over the Black Dotprogram.

“Their style of play and my style of play and my play obviously didn’t click as much as we would have liked it to. It’s a great club. I haven’t got a bad thing to say about the club. I got along great with all the boys there. These things happen in footy and I guess it’s just time to move on.”

Ramien, who is originally from the Newcastle area, made the shift from Cronulla partly due to family reasons.

“I enjoyed my time there,” he said. “When I left the bush I pretty much grew up in Newy. It was a bit of a going home for me. As I said before, I’ve just got to move on now.”

The 22-year-old centre was touted as a potential State of Origin player after bursting onto the scene at Cronulla. While he hasn’t lived up to the billing during his stint in the Hunter, he believes he will produce his best football at his next destination.

“It’s going to be pretty tough, my next decision, it’s going to be a big one,” he said.

“It’s an important part of my career. I’m looking for somewhere where I can do what I do best. I like to get the ball early, somewhere that has halves where they like to do that.

“There’s a few teams out there play that style of footy, and that’s somewhere I see myself being a part of, without giving too much away.

“It’s always a confidence builder when clubs are wanting you, especially when I haven’t had the best year coming off my debut year. To feel wanted is definitely a confidence booster.”

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sp...-but-can-only-afford-two-20190814-p52h11.html

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
So we have about 1m in the salary cap for next year. I'm assuming we'd be willing to pay Ramien 500k, Koroisau 400k and Ese'ese 300k.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
So we have about 1m in the salary cap for next year. I'm assuming we'd be willing to pay Ramien 500k, Koroisau 400k and Ese'ese 300k.
It’s a negotiation tactic they are just putting their feet to the fire.

QLDdogsfan

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Sounds like we may only get one ? If Api has a better offer in NZL he may take that up. Ramien could go either way it sounds like its going to come down to the pitch clubs present.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Ramien isn’t worth 500 imo.
50/50 depends what Ramien you get. 2018 or 19. Considering our situation, 500k for a Centre of Ramien's quality isn't that bad imo. Ramien was on ~300k (?) at the Knights and that wasn't good enough. I think he'd be looking for 500k if that was the case.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Bulldogs: we can't buy anyone until 2021.

Also the Bulldogs: we just bought the Kiwi captain and made offers to two potential key players.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Bulldogs: we can't buy anyone until 2021.

Also the Bulldogs: we just bought the Kiwi captain and made offers to two potential key players.
Anyone or marquee players (e.g. Trbojevic brothers, Latrell, Arrow, etc)?
If you look at who we're bringing in (or brought in), DWZ, Koroisau, Ramien and Ese'ese were not wanted by their clubs. I think that's because 'in theory' that's where we're going to get the best $/output.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like we may only get one ? If Api has a better offer in NZL he may take that up. Ramien could go either way it sounds like its going to come down to the pitch clubs present.
Depends on how much he values living in Australia. There is a cost of living in another country that may not be worth the difference in salary between us and the warriors

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I wonder what plan B is if we miss out on Api.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I wonder what plan B is if we miss out on Api.
Josh Reynolds or resign Lichaa :tonguewink: I'd sign someone short term (or just rely more heavily on JMK) and sign Harry Grant for 2021.

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ramien is not being offered 500k lol

capt obvious

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If no api, there’s could be value in in going in a few different directions.
Issac luke for a year or two.
Mitch rein , imo a better option on what we have now.
Or Take a punt on bargain buys like harry grant or billy walters.

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If no api, there’s could be value in in going in a few different directions.
Issac luke for a year or two.
Mitch rein , imo a better option on what we have now.
Or Take a punt on bargain buys like harry grant or billy walters.
Isaac Luke no
Mitch twin def NO
Harry grant won’t be a bargain, it will take him a lot to leave storm as he is being nurtured by Cameron Smith
Billy Walters is apart of the storm system, he will replace Brodie Croft

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys, we are playing hard ball on all 3 signings. Don’t listen to reports that we can’t afford all 3, we can.. the only reason we will miss out is IF we feel motives of player aren’t the right ones... big club mentality is what the andersons are instilling, we won’t pay overs and they’re sticking by that... exciting news will be announced shortly