Opinion Current Squad Ratings

Xander

Waterboy
Reaction score
It's been a positive 6 weeks in many ways, given the situation our club is in.

Seeing as though I'm kind of procrastinating at work, here is my take on the current squad set to face the Rabbitohs this week. 2020 - 2022 will continue to be our rebuilding phase but from what I've seen lately, things are looking up, in my opinion.

Open to discussion

COACH: Dean Pay - 4/10 - In my opinion, he doesn't have the ability to devise/refine/sharpen attacking plays or defensive structures. He doesn't appear to have the best method of getting the best out of players in a mentoring, guidance capacity. His sporadic roster changes but also the respect he brings as one of the Dogs' best 90's enforcers has led to the team bonding, working their asses off and turning up for each other and I believe that even though he isn't the best long term solution, he's actually getting some good out of the current players - not through his coaching wisdom but from a combination of indirect factors.

1: Dallin Watene Zelezniak - 9/10 - Brings organisation, aggression, attacking flair and body-on-the-line mentality that has filtered through to the rest of the squad since his arrival. The captain of the NZ team has been the main reason we are now 4 from our last 6, although several of our wins have eventuated from poor showings/key injuries in our opposition/s.

2: Nick Meaney - 6/10 - It's clear that his best position is fullback but he won't be there again now that we are all-in with DWZ. He has natural speed and appears to be quite fearless. He would do better following behind players who provide offloads more often as he is best in broken play. His defensive misreads have resulted in too many points scored on his wing.

3: Kerrod Holland - 5/10 - Mediocre in attack unless we are 20m out from the try-line which is where he seems to grow in stature and enter beast-mode. Same goes for his defence where he is quite sound until the opposition are 20m out from our try-line and his vision is poor. Misreads are too common and his defensive combination with Meaney is a blessing for opposition teams.

4: Will Hopoate - 8/10 - While he no longer has the speed that he used to have, he is generally very safe and comes through in tight situations almost always. He still has excellent footwork and almost always continues to make post-contact metres, regardless of whether he's had a chance to wind-up or not.

5: Reimis Smith - 7/10 - Fast, relatively safe under the high ball and a good supporter in broken play, he'd be almost 10/10 if he had some bulk and strength. One of several players that the Bulldogs should look to build the team around moving in to the future.

6: Jack Cogger - 6.5/10 - A good organiser with a kicking game that is on par with our other options in the halves. He appears to me to be a confidence player. When we are down a fair way on the scoreboard I feel he goes missing a bit. But when it's close, or we are in the lead, he seems to be a solid leader on the field. Has a few minor weaknesses in defense.

7: Lachlan Lewis - 6/10 - Has natural talent and outstanding defensive technique. Still desperately needs to develop a better understanding of reading the play and adapting to different situations. His short kicking game is excellent, while his long kicking game is poor. He doesn't appear to know how to exploit opponent's weak points. Despite this, he is another player the club should look to build around.

8: Aiden Tolman - 6/10 - The bloke is an absolute workhorse and always gives 100%. He always puts his hand up for hit-ups but doesn't have the ability to bend the defensive line back as he has no speed or stature. Happy to keep him in the team for leadership and work ethic but when we are within 30-40m of the opposition try-line, he needs to be completely uninvolved.

9: Michael Lichaa - 3/10 - Des Hasler stuffed this bloke up big time. He had immense potential but I've never seen a hooker for the Bulldogs constantly look so confused and lost. He is good at getting out of dummy half but lacks the forward vision to know what to do when he gets into space. He used to be tireless in defense but I've seen some frustrating low-effort misses from him in the past few weeks. He's got to be the first we let go. Hopefully for him a team that can bring out the best in him picks him up as he seems like a decent guy.

10: Dylan Napa - 6/10 - Earlier in the season I would have given this bloke a 2/10. He has definitely lost the sting that he once had in both hitting the ball up and also in making effective tackles. He continues to miss lots of tackles however over the last 2 months I've seen him stepping up in effort. He genuinely wants to be on the field as a Bulldog and I feel that he can find his best form next year.

11: Josh Jackson - 7.5/10 - He bleeds blue and white and is a legend both on and off the field. He has the same work ethic as Aiden Tolman with slightly more damaging running. When he hits his lines, he is still origin level. He just doesn't have the same players around him anymore though and it has affected his performances. Can always rely on him in both attack and defense but that's pretty much all he is now - reliable.

12: Corey Harawira-Naera - 8.5/10 - Has brought a breath of fresh air to the team and is another player the Bulldogs need to build around. Stinging in defense and an amazing line runner, he creates opportunities and brings some X factor to a team that doesn't really have an X factor player anymore. He loses a few points in my mind as he is prone to giving away a penalty at the worst time..

13: Chris Smith - 5/10 - Effort is always there with Smith, but I'm unsure how he's getting selected over some of the other locks we have available. He has some ball-playing ability, footwork and some stinging defense but he is quite honestly nothing special, in my opinion. We should be building our team around other players who have more potential.

14: Jeremy Marshall-King - 7/10 - Defense is rock solid and he probably has the most 'spark' out of everyone. He's broken the line on countless occasions but lacks the 'eyes-up' understanding of the game that Cook/Tedesco/Ponga etc appear to have. They get into the back field and a try almost always results. JMK is the personification of 'a chance gone begging'. Has to be a long term option off the bench.

15: Renouf Toomaga - 6.5/10 - Still a young guy working on building his confidence. He often looks like he doesn't think he deserves to be out there. I haven't seen anything I don't like from him and when he believes in himself and runs through brick walls he will be top shelf. Has a tendency to be lazy (or scared?) in defense but this guy will develop into an excellent asset to the Dogs.

16: Danny Fualalo - 6.5/10 - Probably the strongest runner of the ball in the team. He runs off the back fence every time and he bends the defense back further than anyone else. Needs to work on fitness to offer more minutes and while his offloads are handy, he needs to know when to try them as I've seen some dumb efforts that have handed over possession.

17: Raymond Faitala-Mariner - 6.5/10 - Was once one of the most underrated players in the team. Then he was one of the most over-rated players and now he is back at square one. Needs to cement his place in the team with consistency and effort. Each week is something different. Has incredible footwork, speed and is a very strong runner with a good offload. Needs to get rid of the dumb penalties, dropped balls and lack-of-focus in defense.

Everyone in this forum including myself are harsh critics but we are this way because we love our team!

Go the mighty Bulldogs!!!

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Coach 2/10 (that’s being generous)

DWZ 7/10
Cogger 6/10
Meaney 5/10
Hoppa 5/10
Lewis 4/10
Jmk 6/10
JJ 5/10

The rest get a 4/5 out of 10 for mine.im giving my ratings for entire season, not last 6 weeks !!!

The efforts been there the last few weeks, but it’s been a crap season so considering that’s I scored pretty generously .. especially with #payout :innocent:

#Mo flogs.. Go doggies !!!

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Are these a rating for this season? Or the last six weeks? If it is for the full season I think you're being rather generous.

I couldn't give any player more then 7 for the entire season.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
It depends if he's comparing within the squad or every NRL player. DWZ probably the only player over 5 for the season if comparing to every team/NRL player.

Xander

Waterboy
Reaction score
Are these a rating for this season? Or the last six weeks? If it is for the full season I think you're being rather generous.

I couldn't give any player more then 7 for the entire season.
Yep, more focusing here on the last 6 weeks for sure.

As I mentioned for Napa in particular, if it was for the whole season he'd be on 2 or 3.

Xander

Waterboy
Reaction score
It depends if he's comparing within the squad or every NRL player. DWZ probably the only player over 5 for the season if comparing to every team/NRL player.
Within the squad and not compared with the NRL.

It's important to note that our roster is so incredibly weak compared with most of the heavy hitters in the NRL. Some players have brilliant players around them and as a result, they are better for it. As I mentioned for Jacko, I reckon he'd be much better with a better squad around him.

Aristidiz

Bullwog
Reaction score

As I mentioned for Napa in particular, if it was for the whole season he'd be on 2 or 3.
I think your ratings are pretty spot on besides Cogger. He is a big reason why we put any points on the board at the moment.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Great effort @Xander

Obviously everyone's going to look at things differently but generally agree on most, I'd probably give Hoppa a 7.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Great effort @Xander

Obviously everyone's going to look at things differently but generally agree on most, I'd probably give Hoppa a 7.
Yeh Hoppas been good all year.

Only problem with me answering this thread is like others have said, id have different ratings for the whole season, that i would for the last 6 weeks, where we have won 4 games. Some players that were going poorly, have improved. Like Meaney for example. Hes a lot better than earlier in the year, and not just because he scored that try last week. I think he will be better on the wing than at FB. With his speed he will be a good finisher like most good wingers. Also with his size at FB, hes too easy to beat at the last line of defence, gets run over.

Last edited:

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Agree with most of your ratings brotha. The lack of RFM in first grade makes it difficult to rate. He played ok last week. I hope he gets some more minutes and continues to improve

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score

unfortunately 6 weeks don't make a season ..

but great effort on the ratings anyways .. agree with most of them give or take..

Where does Elliot fit ?? 5/10??

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Pretty close to the mark.
You have over rated Hopoate. Should be 5/10
You have CHN over JJ?
JJ is a 7/10
CHN is a 6/10
Dean Pay is a 6/10 due to his poor roster.

Xander

Waterboy
Reaction score
Yeh Hoppas been good all year.

Only problem with me answering this thread is like others have said, id have different ratings for the whole season, that i would for the last 6 weeks, where we have won 4 games. Some players that were going poorly, have improved. Like Meaney for example. Hes a lot better than earlier in the year, and not just because he scored that try last week. I think he will be better on the wing than at FB. With his speed he will be a good finisher like most good wingers. Also with his size at FB, hes too easy to beat at the last line of defence, gets run over.
I was inclined to do all these ratings as of today as for the first time in the last 2 years or so I feel a bit more positive about our club's ability to find success again.

Xander

Waterboy
Reaction score
unfortunately 6 weeks don't make a season ..

but great effort on the ratings anyways .. agree with most of them give or take..

Where does Elliot fit ?? 5/10??
Cheers man. Mmmm there are a few guys there that haven't got a rating as they aren't in the squad this week like Foran, Elliot, Okumbor, Ogden etc. Might get to em later. Elliot would be a 5/10 yeah I agree with you.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
It's been a positive 6 weeks in many ways, given the situation our club is in.

Seeing as though I'm kind of procrastinating at work, here is my take on the current squad set to face the Rabbitohs this week. 2020 - 2022 will continue to be our rebuilding phase but from what I've seen lately, things are looking up, in my opinion.

Open to discussion

COACH: Dean Pay - 4/10 - In my opinion, he doesn't have the ability to devise/refine/sharpen attacking plays or defensive structures. He doesn't appear to have the best method of getting the best out of players in a mentoring, guidance capacity. His sporadic roster changes but also the respect he brings as one of the Dogs' best 90's enforcers has led to the team bonding, working their asses off and turning up for each other and I believe that even though he isn't the best long term solution, he's actually getting some good out of the current players - not through his coaching wisdom but from a combination of indirect factors.

1: Dallin Watene Zelezniak - 9/10 - Brings organisation, aggression, attacking flair and body-on-the-line mentality that has filtered through to the rest of the squad since his arrival. The captain of the NZ team has been the main reason we are now 4 from our last 6, although several of our wins have eventuated from poor showings/key injuries in our opposition/s.

2: Nick Meaney - 6/10 - It's clear that his best position is fullback but he won't be there again now that we are all-in with DWZ. He has natural speed and appears to be quite fearless. He would do better following behind players who provide offloads more often as he is best in broken play. His defensive misreads have resulted in too many points scored on his wing.

3: Kerrod Holland - 5/10 - Mediocre in attack unless we are 20m out from the try-line which is where he seems to grow in stature and enter beast-mode. Same goes for his defence where he is quite sound until the opposition are 20m out from our try-line and his vision is poor. Misreads are too common and his defensive combination with Meaney is a blessing for opposition teams.

4: Will Hopoate - 8/10 - While he no longer has the speed that he used to have, he is generally very safe and comes through in tight situations almost always. He still has excellent footwork and almost always continues to make post-contact metres, regardless of whether he's had a chance to wind-up or not.

5: Reimis Smith - 7/10 - Fast, relatively safe under the high ball and a good supporter in broken play, he'd be almost 10/10 if he had some bulk and strength. One of several players that the Bulldogs should look to build the team around moving in to the future.

6: Jack Cogger - 6.5/10 - A good organiser with a kicking game that is on par with our other options in the halves. He appears to me to be a confidence player. When we are down a fair way on the scoreboard I feel he goes missing a bit. But when it's close, or we are in the lead, he seems to be a solid leader on the field. Has a few minor weaknesses in defense.

7: Lachlan Lewis - 6/10 - Has natural talent and outstanding defensive technique. Still desperately needs to develop a better understanding of reading the play and adapting to different situations. His short kicking game is excellent, while his long kicking game is poor. He doesn't appear to know how to exploit opponent's weak points. Despite this, he is another player the club should look to build around.

8: Aiden Tolman - 6/10 - The bloke is an absolute workhorse and always gives 100%. He always puts his hand up for hit-ups but doesn't have the ability to bend the defensive line back as he has no speed or stature. Happy to keep him in the team for leadership and work ethic but when we are within 30-40m of the opposition try-line, he needs to be completely uninvolved.

9: Michael Lichaa - 3/10 - Des Hasler stuffed this bloke up big time. He had immense potential but I've never seen a hooker for the Bulldogs constantly look so confused and lost. He is good at getting out of dummy half but lacks the forward vision to know what to do when he gets into space. He used to be tireless in defense but I've seen some frustrating low-effort misses from him in the past few weeks. He's got to be the first we let go. Hopefully for him a team that can bring out the best in him picks him up as he seems like a decent guy.

10: Dylan Napa - 6/10 - Earlier in the season I would have given this bloke a 2/10. He has definitely lost the sting that he once had in both hitting the ball up and also in making effective tackles. He continues to miss lots of tackles however over the last 2 months I've seen him stepping up in effort. He genuinely wants to be on the field as a Bulldog and I feel that he can find his best form next year.

11: Josh Jackson - 7.5/10 - He bleeds blue and white and is a legend both on and off the field. He has the same work ethic as Aiden Tolman with slightly more damaging running. When he hits his lines, he is still origin level. He just doesn't have the same players around him anymore though and it has affected his performances. Can always rely on him in both attack and defense but that's pretty much all he is now - reliable.

12: Corey Harawira-Naera - 8.5/10 - Has brought a breath of fresh air to the team and is another player the Bulldogs need to build around. Stinging in defense and an amazing line runner, he creates opportunities and brings some X factor to a team that doesn't really have an X factor player anymore. He loses a few points in my mind as he is prone to giving away a penalty at the worst time..

13: Chris Smith - 5/10 - Effort is always there with Smith, but I'm unsure how he's getting selected over some of the other locks we have available. He has some ball-playing ability, footwork and some stinging defense but he is quite honestly nothing special, in my opinion. We should be building our team around other players who have more potential.

14: Jeremy Marshall-King - 7/10 - Defense is rock solid and he probably has the most 'spark' out of everyone. He's broken the line on countless occasions but lacks the 'eyes-up' understanding of the game that Cook/Tedesco/Ponga etc appear to have. They get into the back field and a try almost always results. JMK is the personification of 'a chance gone begging'. Has to be a long term option off the bench.

15: Renouf Toomaga - 6.5/10 - Still a young guy working on building his confidence. He often looks like he doesn't think he deserves to be out there. I haven't seen anything I don't like from him and when he believes in himself and runs through brick walls he will be top shelf. Has a tendency to be lazy (or scared?) in defense but this guy will develop into an excellent asset to the Dogs.

16: Danny Fualalo - 6.5/10 - Probably the strongest runner of the ball in the team. He runs off the back fence every time and he bends the defense back further than anyone else. Needs to work on fitness to offer more minutes and while his offloads are handy, he needs to know when to try them as I've seen some dumb efforts that have handed over possession.

17: Raymond Faitala-Mariner - 6.5/10 - Was once one of the most underrated players in the team. Then he was one of the most over-rated players and now he is back at square one. Needs to cement his place in the team with consistency and effort. Each week is something different. Has incredible footwork, speed and is a very strong runner with a good offload. Needs to get rid of the dumb penalties, dropped balls and lack-of-focus in defense.

Everyone in this forum including myself are harsh critics but we are this way because we love our team!

Go the mighty Bulldogs!!!
In all honesty mate for the last 6 weeks that’s a fair assessment IMO. Personally though I wouldn’t be giving RT or Fualalo more then 5 cause their impact is so little. RT does have potential but at the moment I think he’s only getting 15-20mins max.

Dawain87

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Open to discussion

Fair enough, we need to remember that when he took the role he was hamstrung for recruitment due to the previous coach and staff negligence regarding back ended contracts . Yet he delivered a NZ captain and attacking weapon in DWZ, CHN, Napa and many others. Yes, he had to let go some of our greatest assets (Klemmer, Morris boys, Graham to name a few) to set us up for the future of sustained competitiveness. May I ask what this “indirect factors” you speak of regarding getting the good out of players?

Totally agree! Is a breath of fresh air and adds that unexpectedness in attack cause we know he can run the length of the field. Love the energy the brings and i wish he lurks in the ruck more often for that half-break. The only negative part of his game is he’s ball protection when running the ball back as he’s been stripped twice so far this year.

Safe under the high-ball – hasn’t dropped it yet *knock on wood* need to see him lurking in the ruck. The downside of being a really really fast winger is that you get guilty of staying on the wing waiting for that ball in the clear too often. His defence is okay he just needs to stick to his winger and trust his inside centre but with Lewis in that 3rd out spot its working out atm.

I think his confidence is low since returning from injury. His first year with us he was making metres like nothing and im sure that was because of our forwards laying the platform for our backs to run. Has an offload in him but I believe with Pay chopping and changing hes yet to click with his winger or the halves. Pay giving kicking rights to Meaney over him may also have impacted his confidence.

Like a fine wine hes aged well, No he doesn’t have that blistering speed he had when he played on the wing for NSW but he does have those safe hands and old head to see the play unfold and reacting.
I believe hes currently the leader in hit-ups for the club and its great for the forwards to see a back take them.

Let’s be honest he’s had a quiet year. Every game we win or lose I always try to get a look at Reimis and I always see the same expression “I could be better” look. Loving the partnership with Hoppa I do think you give him and Hoppa the ball and let themselves figure out some sort of system or rhythm in passing the ball to each other. Reimis on a inside line from Hoppa with his speed and footwork will 9/10 break the line.

Cogger came to the Dogs with no substantial NRL achievement, outcasted by the Knights as they believe they had his position covered with young guns. little did we know this former Australian Schoolboys rep player would turn out to be a shining light in dark times. His kicking game has improved immensely and his running game is getting where we need it. Once opposition teams know he can run the ball the defensive line reacts by not rushing or the opposite – both works for him. I enjoy the effort he puts into defence as we see a lot of bump offs but in that moment when the games on the line and it’s one on one I have every confidence he will make the tackle stick – Needs to work Jacko abit more and drawing and passing and maybe incorporate a grubber or chip and chase into his game.

Strong kid from great stock. I agree he needs to work on his long kicking game and picking out the gap or the player that is most likely to mess up the catch. His defence is superb and his one on one tackles have no become the norm. I would like to see him take the line more with ball in hand. Known for keeping the lights on at Belmore after training finished and everyone went home – The lights nowadays are off straight after.

100%!
Does anyone remember Tols was on a highlight reel for getting smacked? Yep me neither.
Bends the line and takes those vital hit-ups. Generally has safe hands and is so fit that he’s always in the frame when a break is made for or against us.
I would agree that his 4th tackle settlers kill me, but when one of the veterans of the club and very liked clubman looks at you for the ball 10m out I can understand why the halves give it to him.
I’ve been waiting for him to get an offload in his game and from history I believe he’s probably the least likely to do so.

I’m note sure what went wrong here. We had high hopes for this kid and it didn’t work out.
We lost Ennis and Cook with this experiment. His defence like you said has been solid in the past but recently there’s a few last min attempts from him that are woeful. We need a hooker that can also put in a kick into the in goals and get us a repeat set. We also need one with vision to see what’s unfolding infront of him and sending the ball the right way. O tries and 0 tries assist in 13 games tells you something.

Was abit wary of this signing to begin with as the Roosters don’t let go players unless they are not that good. Scored tries in back to back games and was tryless before that for ages. Needs to use his size more and those big hands for a fend perhaps. Can easily be taken down by a textbook legs tackle. Love his energy in the line. Need more from him.

Mr Reliable. Puts in 110% every game. Well deserved man of the match last week. Very well loved and respected member of the team. Would love to see him give the boys a spray on the field during games we lost by close margins as I could imagine with the talent we have we may have turned the results around. Defence was average earlier in the year but that improved a lot.

Currently 2nd overall with 49 offloads to his name with Pangai Jnr only a couple of offloads infront.

Need some of the speedsters to sniff around when he gets the ball and hitting one his offloads with speed would certainly create a try scoring opportunity. We need to see him with more ball in hand I hate seeing him taking up one of those standard hit-ups where the defence is set – give it Tols or Napa and then off the quick play of the ball when the defence is in split minds give him the ball.
His defence early on was suspect and he has missed tackles where a try was scored or eventually scored. Looked the goods in the Cowboys game and we can only hope that sort of game becomes the standard for him.

If you look at all premiership teams you have blokes like Chris Smith who come in and do the dirty work but never receive any congratulations for the teams efforts as they usually overshadowed by others.

Saw some footwork in the Tigers game where he had Benji grabbing air and his defence is great.

Not sure where he fits once Stimson and Britt come onboard but for a no frills player probably on the minimum wage he’s a deadest bargain.

Tough Kiwi kid with a footy brain. Quick on his feet and I agree in the times he’s broken through the line he either doesn’t pass the ball or gets tackled. Can slot into the halves if needed as well. Would love to see him try to force a drop out or try scoring opportunity when he’s close on the 5th tackle.

Heard a lot about him coming up through the ranks. When I watch him in first grade for some reason I still feel like he is in 2nd gear and then the next time he is named in the squad im expecting him to be exactly that what i've heard - A beast! He Is starting to gel a lot better with the team and putting his body on the line. His fitness is a worry as I can see him struggling after a while.

Like this kid and as you say he runs like a freight train and bends that line. The only negative thing I can say about his game is his defence can be average at times and for a big bloke at times to me it looks like he’s scared to put someone in hospital. Need more from him.

I remember when we signed this kid his reputation at the Warriors preceded himself.
Has that offload and late footwork near the line that all back-rowers currently must possess.
With a flurry of backrowers coming to the Dogs in the future I’m sure he understands he needs to get his game back to where is should be. Discipline is also something he needs to work on as he gets pinged for lazy penalties.