News Sharks over salary cap in 2020 as SIX players take up half the money

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The Sharks are in the midst of a salary cap crisis and are already over their cap for next season.

Phil Rothfield revealed the Sharks are over their cap for 2020 despite letting a number of young players go recently, including Jayden Brailey to the Knights and Kyle Flanagan to the Roosters.

“The Sharks are already over the cap for next year and they haven’t had an off-season,” Rothfield told Controversy Corner.

“Paul Gallen is not on a lot of money this year so his retirement won’t help. He had his big money contracts earlier in his career.

“So they don’t have a problem this year, but they have lost Jayden Brailey, Kyle Flanagan and Gallen is retiring and they are still over their cap for next year.”

Rothfield revealed the Sharks are paying half their cap for next season to just six players.

“Shaun Johnson, Andrew Fifita, Aaron Woods, Wade Graham, Josh Dugan and Matt Moylan, if you add their penalty of 350k they take up more than half the cap,” Rothfield said.

“Then you have another 24 players to feed.”

Manly legend Geoff Toovey believes the Sharks are experiencing the backlash from their win now approach to their salary cap management.

“This goes back to what I was saying about everyone wants success now,” Toovey said.

“They had some great players coming through and they just recently signed Moylan, Woods and Johnson.

“They paid all this money for these guys coming in and they let that next crop of juniors go.

“Everyone wants to win now and they don’t want to wait three years time.”

Rothfield pointed to the Roosters’ method of staggering their salary cap among their best players as the blueprint for successful salary cap management.

“The bottom line is you have to stagger your cap,” Rothfield said.

“The Roosters have Cooper Cronk as their highest paid player on a million dollars. James Tedesco is their best player and should be their highest paid.

“Cronk is retiring and then Tedesco will become their highest paid player. Then Latrell Mitchell will go up a little bit.

“What they have done is stagger their cap.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...y/news-story/967b0e6620e2bb260723404c8bc5b4e4

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Staggering their cap, really???? What the Roosters have done is use uncle Nick's influence and financial standings to have everyone from that moron Greenturd down to the corrupt NRL auditors and officials turn a blind eye to the fact that they have been rotting the cap for a number of years, while the inept media sing their praise. No wonder that the game of rugby league is dying a slow death. The crowds have been pitiful and the belief of a true honest contest eroded by bias officiating.

What is truly staggering is that no one bats an eye nor dares to question how the Roosters always seem to have a spare million dollars in the cap just laying around when ever there is a marquee player on the market that some how always finds himself on the Roosters wish list.

As far as the sharks are concerned I thank them and that cheat Flanagan for taking Shannon of our hands but if the whole sharks organization folded tomorrow I would not shed a tear!!! :grinning:

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Sweet .. hopefully this gives us my man Xerri... the superstar :-)start building a dream team haha. He would look soo good in the blue an white..!!!

Go get em doggs
(Oops, wet dream again) :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Sweet .. hopefully this gives us my man Xerri... the superstar :-)start building a dream team haha. He would look soo good in the blue an white..!!!

Go get em doggs
(Oops, wet dream again) :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:
Last I heard the Gummy sharks had already re signed Xerri, bit of bad luck there Scoooby.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Last I heard the Gummy sharks had already resigned Xerri, bit of bad luck there Scoooby.
Wankers haha.!!

Yea mate, was nice to get a little excited and dream lol, got to have some Hope after such a crappy year aye Vlas.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Wankers haha.!!

Yea mate, was nice to get a little excited and dream lol, got to have some Hope after such a crappy year aye Vlas.
I still think we still have another crappy year ahead of us, I hope I'm wrong but with Pay at the helm could we expect anything more??? Yep he sure bought the madness out in us fans :grinning:

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Anyone we can target if there is a fire sale?

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Anyone we can target if there is a fire sale?
Matt Moylan but I think he would rather go back to the Panthers and Josh Dugan is another but in all honesty who would want him??? Besides why would we want to help out the sharks??? I love the fact that they are totally screwed via their cap. It couldn't happen to a shittier club :grinning:

The sharks biggest problem is that they don't have a uncle Nick to intimidate the NRL or to bail them out.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
We need to go for xerri they have no choice and need to release players

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
What a nice start to the day

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Agree I’d go hard for Xerri.

Don’t go near Dugan or Moylan ffs both overrated and not worth half their pay.

Remember how they treated us with Woods too.

I’d happily take uele with them kicking in.

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Honestly is there a club that does anything worse than the sharks, and they always get off lightly
Peptides , the coach gets a 2nd suspension for not following initial suspension rules , salary cap scandal during premiership win
Then buy a marquee half after being busted for salary cap breaches and then over cap for the following year .

FMD that club flaunts the rules and cops nothing
Dogs, storm , eels coped it but these guys always get a slap on the wrist

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Xerri and Nikora please.

Bulldogs happy to help out a brother in need.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We were made to shed players before start of last season wasn't it to be compliant?? Should be no different to these clowns.

surfdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
agree with those 2 , wouldnt touch Moylan or dugan no matter how much they offer to pay, don't rate either

Last edited:

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
agree with those 2 , wouldnt touch Moylan or dugan no matter how much they offer to pay, don't rate either
This.

Xerri or uele I’ll take. After their lovely assistance with Woods (we still laugh last as those clowns have him eating up 900k coming up fucking them already) ask them to chip in

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Rothfield says their compliant this year,, yeah sure have been over the cap for years only have to see the high profile players they have you dont need a calculator. Rothfield said early in the season they were over the cap before and after 2016 but not 2016. Funny how they got their cap in order for 2016 but not before and after. Corrupt NRL. Poorly run club for years and have been getting away with it. Expect them to be broke in a few years unless someone managers their finances soon especially with their super property deal. good luck.

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lol no one is even surprised...
Cant wait to fuck them over with a quality signing.
Clearing sale in the shire mad monday.

rainman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
they can keep those duds with the exception of moylan