News Averillo's rise through the junior ranks

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs focus on development and pathways was again on show last weekend when Jake Averillo made his debut for the club’s Canterbury Cup side.

Averillo was a late inclusion into the reserve grade side after spending the entire season playing with the David Penna coached Jersey Flegg team.

Wearing jersey 21, the talented outside back played in the centres and scored a try in an impressive debut against Mounties on the day he turned 19.

A local junior and a product of the Moorebank Rams club, Averillo can play in the halves, fullback or centres and has been a member of the club's development and pathway programs since 2016, as well as spending two years with the Bulldogs Youth High Performance Program.

Signed until the end of 2020, Jake was a member of the club's SG Ball side that was defeated by the Penrith Panthers in the final last year and scored eight tries and kicked 53 goals during the season.

Following the completion of the SG Ball competition, Jake was elevated to the club's Jersey Flegg side where he played three games before picking up an ankle injury in round 17 that ended his season.

A first year under 20s player in 2019, Averillo has been outstanding for the Flegg side whether it be in the centres or the halves and has delivered 52 tackle breaks, 4 try assists, 7 line-break assists, 5 line-breaks, 6 tries and 130 points to date.

The goal-kicking rookie was schooled at Westfields Sports High and featured in the 2016 schoolboy side who claimed the National GIP Cup with a 26-24 win over Keebra Park.

The match featured fellow Bulldogs teammates Brandon Wakeham and Connelly Lemelu, as well as Broncos forward Payne Hass and in one of the best schoolboy games of the past decade, Westfields scored two tries in the final four minutes to snatch victory with Jake Averillo scoring the match winner with 30 seconds to go.

His rise amongst the grades has impressed many at Canterbury and if he continues to keep working hard on his game and performing, he will get a taste of an NRL pre-season in the not too distant future.

“Jake is a great talent, a player of great awareness who is always pushing around the ball and that makes him one of those players that find the try line consistently. This was highlighted in the Canterbury Cup match on the weekend. I believe with more time up in the higher grade adapting to the physical demands of the game and defence, Jake will make a smooth transition to be part of the NRL squad in the future,” said Pathways and Development Manager Dave Hamilton.

Away from the field, the 19-year old has completed his Cert III in fitness and has started his Cert IV in fitness, as well as being a teacher’s aide at Lansvale Public School.

https://www.bulldogs.com.au/news/2019/08/12/averillos-rise-through-the-junior-ranks/

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He's an exciting prospect for sure. I just hope he's given a chance when ready. Wakeham deserves more FG games and should be playing ahead of Lewis right now. Lewis has defended well but offered little else.

ajay78

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Which position is Averillo best suited for? I like the idea of a big running half with pace something like Jack Wighton of the Raiders.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Which position is Averillo best suited for? I like the idea of a big running half with pace something like Jack Wighton of the Raiders.
He's played the majority of his juniors at centre but has played halfback in the last few weeks. I think he will be a centre long term.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Somebody, u know who u are pointed him out to me the other day so I went and watched a few highlight packages of him... Hard to tell from highlight reels but he seems to be a very tough ball runner who loves being on the ball and seems to be covered in spiders. Missed the Ccup game yesterday so cant wait to watch him float around the field properly.

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Once i got over our boys being penalised 4 times in the first 12 minutes which was rubbish referring through the whole game. Jake really has got some talent.
Has got everything this kid just hope we can nurse Jake through too nrl and keep him

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think he would be an excellent half - although has mostly played in the outside backs and done well, his size speed and energy around the ball I think makes him more suited to play in the halves -hope the club persist in developing him as a half.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
He's 19 isn't he. Why does this club have to "nurse" promising players along for so long. Geez they have to be 24 before getting an NRL game.

I know it's a tradition with us but lots of clubs have players that age debuting and succeeding....we might not need Ramien who has apparently bumped up his price.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Funny they put this out the day after losing another aussie schoolboy to the Titans.

They put out another puff piece on him the day after losing Tommy Talau to the Tigers last year.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Is he a decent kicker?

Atleast he has been around some successful teams this year. Our flegg boys aren’t going too bad. And our reserves are a solid team. So coming through a decent system.

Especially after a successful sg ball season and I think even the matts in his age group made the finals a few years ago.

Success from the grass roots generally means a solid nrl team eventually. Good to see some promising 18-22 year olds on the horizon.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think the club is definitely doing the right thing by focusing on developing these young kids. We will see the benefits in the years to come. Let's just hope Averilo and Wakeham are two of them.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Is he a decent kicker?

Atleast he has been around some successful teams this year. Our flegg boys aren’t going too bad. And our reserves are a solid team. So coming through a decent system.

Especially after a successful sg ball season and I think even the matts in his age group made the finals a few years ago.

Success from the grass roots generally means a solid nrl team eventually. Good to see some promising 18-22 year olds on the horizon.
very good goal kicker

WestBeast

Peyow Peyow
Reaction score
He's 19 isn't he. Why does this club have to "nurse" promising players along for so long. Geez they have to be 24 before getting an NRL game.

I know it's a tradition with us but lots of clubs have players that age debuting and succeeding....we might not need Ramien who has apparently bumped up his price.
Agreed feels like the only kid we ever played young was SBW , sink or swim I say , what do we have to lose

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed feels like the only kid we ever played young was SBW , sink or swim I say , what do we have to lose
I think I can see a concerted effort to give these guys game time in NSW Cup. Doorey is another one outside of Wakeham that looks to be getting a push. It’s a pity there’s no room for Katoa or Tass in CCup. Might be a bit harsh but I’d rather them get exposure than Lemuelu who’s leaving us at season’s end

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Its a interesting comparison between Averillo and Tommy Talau they played in the same junior teams together and Talau is making his NRL debut this week while Averillo is just starting to play CCup.

I know there is so many variables that go into these things but it would have been interesting to see if Talau played NRL this year if he had stayed at the Dogs.