Opinion If our roster is so bad...

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
To be honest, the more I think about how the club is being run the more I think the plan is Pay long term. If the Bulldog DNA line that is constantly rolled out is really a commitment then it makes sense that they want to develop success with Pay, like it or not

I think the biggest furphy of all time is the Flannagan rumour.. He will never coach the dogs. If Pay is ever removed Flanagan could be standing in line for an interview with a fist full of fiftys and nude pictures of board members and still not have a chance...
Well thats opinion it doesn't mean its true!!

LFC Bulldogs

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The roster wasn’t as bad as what some were making out last year either , yet we struggled last year also .
I will accept that our roster is in a transitional period, and players were let go for one or another reason but for me the majority of the blame of why we have been underachieving in the last 2 years has more to do with Pays substandard coaching rather than the roster .

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I really think that we have fucked up with Holbrook.
I think he will be the goods and when we work it out with Pay their will be no one available...
So disappointed!

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Or an average roster with an average coach.
Average means bout half way, we’re bottom 2 on roster not average
Out of 16 clubs were bottom 2
That’s not average

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Lets say that's exactly what happened, he still did a great job of it to get the win with a very inexperienced side that no one gave a chance.
Still a 3 game stint cannot be compared to a full time coach.

Emdog85

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very true, but it’s the kennel.....
Don’t come on here telling the truth ..... lol
Or talking sense, if you talk sense on here you are automatically wrong and ridiculed for it haha

Emdog85

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If we make a late surge like we did last year, I'll be more pissed off than if we had won the spoon.

If they have nothing to lose now, then why the fukk didnt they have something to gain for in the earlier parts of the season?
You'd be more pissed if we win games than you would be if we got the spoon? Fucking lol, some peoples thought process astounds me sometimes

Emdog85

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Of course there is an impact, but it's not the ultimate excuse like some of you are pretending it is. Players can improve with good coaching, players can look better within well structured sides, players can also look better executing a role they are comfortable with, etc. There are so many things that can impact the value of a roster and the coach is one of them.
Still can't say who has a worse roster than us?

silva

Utility
Reaction score
We have no chance of beating the top teams?
4 wins in the last 6 games,against Sharks,Panthers,Tigers and Knights,all who are or were in the Top 8.A loss by 8 points to the favourites to win the Premiership,the Roosters,when most here expected us to get flogged by 40+.
The worst performance in that time was that beating by the Broncos at Suncorp,admittedly a poor performance.
Go back further.2 point loss to the Raiders.
Close losses to the Rabbits and the Storm,2 games we could/should have won.
If anyone thinks we're not going pretty well given the circumstances,they've got no clue.
Knights out of form had a player put in the bin. Penrith out of form missing kikau. Sharks worst performance of the yr. Tigers 2 injured in 1st half. All lucky wins. None of them top teams.
2nd worst attack in the comp.
Lets see how we go nxt week against souths.

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
You'd be more pissed if we win games than you would be if we got the spoon? Fucking lol, some peoples thought process astounds me sometimes
Yeah because the difference between 16th and 15th is leaps and bounds, right?

So you would accept late surges when we have nothing to play for 2 years in a row? If that's what you're implying then that, astounds me also.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I accept that, but I still don't see the so called rebuilding. If you're building something then you should see progress? I don't see progress with our football...I do see progress with some of our recruitment though.

Personally I think the club is just going to ride things out with minimal ambition and continue to build our roster and give Pay absolutely every opportunity to improve and get things right. Maybe when the roster is up there with the best and we're still not getting results then maybe they'll cut him loose.. I don't entirely agree or disagree with that, I just feel that what we're doing now on the field is completely wasted and development isn't where it should be.
I think we are definitely a better team now then when we played the warriors at the beginning of the year. So I take that as improvement. So we are building. Very slowly though.
At this stage you seem to assume that even with a better roster pay will still be shit. But no one knows how he will be doing with a far superior roster. Not even Pay knows, because he has not had that chance yet. So as much as we all hate on him, and say he is shit, he hasn't yet had the chance to convince us otherwise.
Anyway, it's a case of wait and see at this point. If we pull off some great signings, and improve next year, then there is every chance that Pay will also improve as a coach.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think we are definitely a better team now then when we played the warriors at the beginning of the year. So I take that as improvement. So we are building. Very slowly though.
At this stage you seem to assume that even with a better roster pay will still be shit. But no one knows how he will be doing with a far superior roster. Not even Pay knows, because he has not had that chance yet. So as much as we all hate on him, and say he is shit, he hasn't yet had the chance to convince us otherwise.
Anyway, it's a case of wait and see at this point. If we pull off some great signings, and improve next year, then there is every chance that Pay will also improve as a coach.
Well said

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Well said
Cheers mate. I'm a bit impartial in regards to Pay. The team is not getting the results we want, and as fans we are incredibly frustrated. But there are so many things going on with our club, on and off the field, so there's every chance that we can turn a lot of it around when we overhaul our roster.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Cheers mate. I'm a bit impartial in regards to Pay. The team is not getting the results we want, and as fans we are incredibly frustrated. But there are so many things going on with our club, on and off the field, so there's every chance that we can turn a lot of it around when we overhaul our roster.
Exactly what I said
I will give a judgement on pay when his got some decent cattle to work with
Salary cap mess, change of board
Lots of changes and variables

I’m not pro pay or anti pay but a fan who’s wa5ch8ng the situation at our club closely
They were honest and told us we won’t be out of cap trouble till 2021
And can’t blame the current for the formers fuck ups

Emdog85

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah because the difference between 16th and 15th is leaps and bounds, right?

So you would accept late surges when we have nothing to play for 2 years in a row? If that's what you're implying then that, astounds me also.
Um yes lol, 15th is much different than 16th, 16th you're remembered for getting the wooden spoon. Who remembers who came 15th?

I never said I accept late surges 2 yrs in a row, but winning is better than getting the spoon. You can put whatever spin on it you want, if you'd rather lose than win, that is truly astounding

BondiBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I never would want the Dogs to get a spoon again. It's pretty unacceptable.
One thing I'll say- not totally in Dean's favour is the Dogs ability to punch above their weight. Whether it's the feel of the club or the management or 'it's in the woodwork' as Gus Gould says-
We are a very special club with a winning culture: and even if we had McGregor or Brennan as coach I'm still not sure we'd be dead last as we are CBFC. I mean things seem a bit different now but since the 80's that has been the way. I can only remember one legit spoon in my lifetime and we all know the BS that was happening behind the scenes then so that was ALMOST understandable. So why I agree we have the worse roster in the comp I still think it's the Canterbury 'DNA' to rise above this and be competitive.

Costa84

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think DWZ is the biggest difference... would like to see foran fit playing and playing together

But who makes was for foran? Cogger improving every game and Lewis defence is game changing
We

It may be dwzs talk at the back which is making a difference

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Exactly what I said
I will give a judgement on pay when his got some decent cattle to work with
Salary cap mess, change of board
Lots of changes and variables

I’m not pro pay or anti pay but a fan who’s wa5ch8ng the situation at our club closely
They were honest and told us we won’t be out of cap trouble till 2021
And can’t blame the current for the formers fuck ups
That's exactly where it's at for me too.