Opinion If our roster is so bad...

silva

Utility
Reaction score
So doesn’t that speak to the strength of the competition as a whole rather than just the Dogs? Apart from Melbourne, where there’s daylight between them and everyone else I don’t see consistent high quality anywhere. Can 16 teams survive, 9 of them in Sydney? Increasingly doubtful...
We
I see the teams we play and beat the following week kill it against better sides. I think the teams attitude has changed when we signed dwz. He is the reason we are defending the line so well. It’s no coincidence we have been playing 100% better with him in the side and it also helps pay has stuck with the side and only made changes due to injury.

The start of the year pay was chopping and changing the team and it just didn’t work with players not knowing if they are gona be in the squad the following week
It may be dwzs talk at the back which is making a difference

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thing is, two seasons in a row the team has missed the pre-sesson badly.
Which has ensured the season has gone up in smoke before getting half way through the season.

Remember before the 2018 season how the squad was "training the house down" that was the quote direct from the club! Only to find out the complete opposite was true.

Our roster has some quality players in it. If you look at the last two seasons it is a perfect example of poor player management & poor coaching.

Now Pay may get better, as we all learn from mistakes. Question is how long do you give him.
I’m not saying that pays the long term answer at all we need a premium coach and I think Flanagan once it comes clear how long his suspended for he will be top choice but I think if we land some signings come 1st quarter next year and we not travelling then he will come under pressure
Or if we were to lose the last 4 games this year and get flogged the drums will start beating and maybe the board will act
Since there elections up next year with no real rival ticket to take them on and a board already stacked with there support
Interesting 12 months coming up.
If they land some good recruits and we perform they will be called genius if they blow this recruitment window we fucked for another 4-5 years

To there credit they have been cleaning up the last front offices mess and this time will tell if they really know what they doing

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Man the geniuses in this thread talking about our great roster.

Use your big brain and create a table comparing our roster against the rest of the teams, or any team, you could pick the Titans if you want.

Compare stats. That's all you need to do.

But you won't because you're talking shit that isn't based in reality.
No one is saying we have a great roster read the comments properly what people are saying is that we should be playing alot better than we had in the first half of the season as proven in the last month

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I’m not saying that pays the long term answer at all we need a premium coach and I think Flanagan once it comes clear how long his suspended for he will be top choice but I think if we land some signings come 1st quarter next year and we not travelling then he will come under pressure
Or if we were to lose the last 4 games this year and get flogged the drums will start beating and maybe the board will act
Since there elections up next year with no real rival ticket to take them on and a board already stacked with there support
Interesting 12 months coming up.
If they land some good recruits and we perform they will be called genius if they blow this recruitment window we fucked for another 4-5 years

To there credit they have been cleaning up the last front offices mess and this time will tell if they really know what they doing
To be honest, the more I think about how the club is being run the more I think the plan is Pay long term. If the Bulldog DNA line that is constantly rolled out is really a commitment then it makes sense that they want to develop success with Pay, like it or not

I think the biggest furphy of all time is the Flannagan rumour.. He will never coach the dogs. If Pay is ever removed Flanagan could be standing in line for an interview with a fist full of fiftys and nude pictures of board members and still not have a chance...

bulldogtimbo

Hazem's kicking tee.
Reaction score
We are still playing like shit. Fkn pathetic attack, no intensity in defense. Ofcourse goal line defense will improve if thats all youve been doing all year.
If anyone thinks we are playing remotely well got no clue. We have no chance of beating the top teams. We are just a team with nothing to lose beating teams who are just making up the numbers.
We have no chance of beating the top teams?
4 wins in the last 6 games,against Sharks,Panthers,Tigers and Knights,all who are or were in the Top 8.A loss by 8 points to the favourites to win the Premiership,the Roosters,when most here expected us to get flogged by 40+.
The worst performance in that time was that beating by the Broncos at Suncorp,admittedly a poor performance.
Go back further.2 point loss to the Raiders.
Close losses to the Rabbits and the Storm,2 games we could/should have won.
If anyone thinks we're not going pretty well given the circumstances,they've got no clue.

Last edited:

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
if our roster wasn't bad then why did we lose so many games?
Bad team selections and coaching bud. U pay lovers just refuse to look at that i almost feel embarrassed for some.
Pay bought these guys in for our future and the coach lovers say we have a bad roster. This is the roster pay is putting together.

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
All i can say is we recruit a few more of pays fans buys, so next year we dont have to listen to all these perfetic excuses for being fucking losers again.
Sorry for swearing just getting tired of reading all these posts of people being happy with our results. Perfetic.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Bad team selections and coaching bud. U pay lovers just refuse to look at that i almost feel embarrassed for some.
Pay bought these guys in for our future and the coach lovers say we have a bad roster. This is the roster pay is putting together.
I’m not either but he could only bring in certain players with hardly any cap space
I’m not pro or against pay but have a look what his dealt with
Pay has bought players with limited funds, and the fact he managed chn, dwz, Stimson and possibly others to a struggling club you can’t winge at him surely

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Mate we’re one win of knights
They have origin fullback, origin half, 2 origin props
I know which coach needs the boot first
i Don’t believe I said anything about Brown? I’m just saying Pay had all the players at the start of last season and how did he go with that?

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Anyone tell me the roster isn’t shit then please tell me the current players you would keep in order to win a premiership ????
If the roster isn’t shit I assume your keeping a fair few players to win a premiership

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
All i can say is we recruit a few more of pays fans buys, so next year we dont have to listen to all these perfetic excuses for being fucking losers again.
Sorry for swearing just getting tired of reading all these posts of people being happy with our results. Perfetic.
Yes lets all be negative and wallow in our own misery.

Instead:

Pay IN & trust the process

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
..then how are we able to string some wins together during the backend of the last two seasons? It's apparently the worst roster in history according to some so it shouldn't be possible to win?

The quality of NRL teams in today's game is hardly anything flash, the gap is no where as big as some try to make out....there's talent and raw ability here within the club yet we play like absolute shit for the majority of the season when it matters and only get results when it doesn't.

Where is the so called rebuild? We didn't build on last season and this season is nothing more than a repeat of the previous. Shouldn't a good coach have got more from us when it mattered? Are we starting from scratch once again next season and the season after that?
We lost a stack of players after last season, and bought a whole bunch of new players that had minimal fg experience. So of course this year was a rebuilding year. And naturally it has taken some time to build to where we are at now.
This is not to say that we have come along in e
Leaps and bounds, we are still bog average. But we are gusting it out a bit more now and seeing some results.
If we manage to sign korisau, Ramien and Ese'ese for next year then I'm sure we will see even more improvement and a better start to the year.
Also, there are 5 games to go, so if we manage to win them all then we will have had a much better year then last.

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
To be honest, the more I think about how the club is being run the more I think the plan is Pay long term. If the Bulldog DNA line that is constantly rolled out is really a commitment then it makes sense that they want to develop success with Pay, like it or not

I think the biggest furphy of all time is the Flannagan rumour.. He will never coach the dogs. If Pay is ever removed Flanagan could be standing in line for an interview with a fist full of fiftys and nude pictures of board members and still not have a chance...
I know I don’t necessarily think flanno is a slam dunk fix but if pay was to be punted who is the best option with coaches available
Neil Henry and mick hagan combo would be a option hagan being a former dog and Neil Henry is tactically knowledgeable There ain’t many options out there Bellemy and Bennett would never come near us and Robinson will have the roosters job as long as he wants it sticky is raiders through and through I don’t know who the likely options are of pay dosent succeed Adam O’Brien is a option but do we want another unproven nrl coach ?

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
Why do we witness a 3M+ salary cap handicap and pretend it has no material effect and use our self entitlement to better compete with the best as a motivator to claim a scape goat or two?

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
i Don’t believe I said anything about Brown? I’m just saying Pay had all the players at the start of last season and how did he go with that?
All what players? Lol

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
..then how are we able to string some wins together during the backend of the last two seasons? It's apparently the worst roster in history according to some so it shouldn't be possible to win?

The quality of NRL teams in today's game is hardly anything flash, the gap is no where as big as some try to make out....there's talent and raw ability here within the club yet we play like absolute shit for the majority of the season when it matters and only get results when it doesn't.

Where is the so called rebuild? We didn't build on last season and this season is nothing more than a repeat of the previous. Shouldn't a good coach have got more from us when it mattered? Are we starting from scratch once again next season and the season after that?
We lost a stack of players after last season, and bought a whole bunch of new players that had minimal fg experience. So of course this year was a rebuilding year. And naturally it has taken some time to build to where we are at now.
This is not to say that we have come along in
Leaps and bounds, we are still bog average. But we are gutsing it out a bit more now and seeing some results.
If we manage to sign korisau, Ramien and Ese'ese for next year then I'm sure we will see even more improvement and a better start to the year.
Also, there are 5 games to go, so if we manage to win them all then we will have had a much better year then last.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
@nabsolutly fabulous
Which players would you keep and which players wouldn’t you care if we let em go?
I'd honestly gut the roster in a perfect world and build a more balanced squad, obviously that isn't possible. I completely accept that our roster is bad, I don't accept that there isn't talent and raw ability there. Development should've been better, systems should've been better, etc..things like this could easily change the value some people have placed on certain players

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'd honestly gut the roster in a perfect world and build a more balanced squad, obviously that isn't possible. I completely accept that our roster is bad, I don't accept that there isn't talent and raw ability there. Development should've been better, systems should've been better, etc..things like this could easily change the value some people have placed on certain players
So your gutting majority of squad ? Coz u admit it’s bad
Hence why I find it hard why people blame pay considering the cattle he has to play with...
And again I’m not pro or against
I will reserve my judgment on pay when he has a roster to match top 8 teams roster and not cut it
He doesn’t have the full salary cap to play with ( not his fault)
People whinged at des for not dropped bad performances but now the same people ( not saying you) whinge at pay for dropping players

See problem is a lot of people can’t look at the whole situation and take it for what it is

Last edited:

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
This is not to say that we have come along in
Leaps and bounds, we are still bog average. But we are gutsing it out a bit more now and seeing some results.
I accept that, but I still don't see the so called rebuilding. If you're building something then you should see progress? I don't see progress with our football...I do see progress with some of our recruitment though.

Personally I think the club is just going to ride things out with minimal ambition and continue to build our roster and give Pay absolutely every opportunity to improve and get things right. Maybe when the roster is up there with the best and we're still not getting results then maybe they'll cut him loose.. I don't entirely agree or disagree with that, I just feel that what we're doing now on the field is completely wasted and development isn't where it should be.