Opinion If our roster is so bad...

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Jackson lost his spot coz Fittler became origin coach and himself said wanted quick mobile backrowers
What rep spot did chn lose? Never played a game bar a 1 off test for nz Maori lol
Only one is Napa and that was coz of poor origin with broken wrist if you remember
Nice story tho
Jackson was once a quick mobile backrower..his conditioning declined under Pay. Could've sworn CHN played for NZ last season or that might've been RFM? And I don't buy the Napa excuse in the slightest, he was dropped because he was rubbish and only declined with us further. That's 2/3.

The Innovator

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m a fan of Dean Pay. Tell me another coach that would have this roster of inexperienced players, players other clubs have discarded playing this well ? The last 6 weeks they have been outstanding.
If the Dogs can pick up 3 to 4 quality players watch them go. Newcastle have 5 current Origin players in their side, the Dragons just as many......how many wins are the Bulldogs behind them ?
I say bravo to Dean Pay.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Apparently most on here thought we were premiership material supposedly with our roster.
Facts-
Our squad half wouldn’t make first grade else where.
Before we criticise the coach let’s give him next year for the benefit of the doubt.
We have been in most games this year,next year the young pups are more game focused and we have cogger and Lewis with better than ground hog day nothing bombs.
If the players play for the coach that’s good enough for me.
2020 if we make the 8 I would keep pay.
Quote-
The so called expert tipsters picked us for the wooden spoon,
If we can get to 20 points that’s an excellent effort with our squad.

Go the dogs
Next years not going to be to much different, I think your expectations are a bit high thinking we're going to make the 8. 10th-12th is more realistic. Add 2 marque signings going into 2021 and we should be competitive within the 8 (for the duration of a season, not periods).

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Jackson was once a quick mobile backrower..his conditioning declined under Pay. Could've sworn CHN played for NZ last season or that might've been RFM? And I don't buy the Napa excuse in the slightest, he was dropped because he was rubbish and only declined with us further. That's 2/3.
Lol Jackson was bulked up heaps before pay got here
Chn has never played for nz
And even if the broken wrist and poor form wasn’t the reason he was dropped, blam8ng pay for those 3 things is ridiculous
Blame pay for what you must but that’s silly
I can’t believe you blamed pay for chn losing his spot in nz even tho he never played for them lolol
“That comment exposes you massively btw”

Last edited:

zappa

Punk in Drublic
Reaction score
I reckon Jackson has been playing injured for a while and it’s our lack of depth that’s kept him out there. He was good tonight but he’s still nowhere near where he was or where I feel he should be. Could be a conditioning thing, not sure.

CHN’s got me a bit miffed. At times he’s all go and then he’s not. His defence is bog average at times but he offers a point of difference we haven’t had in a while and the bloke obviously cares about the outcome.

Napa has been slightly better the last couple of games but overall has been an overpaid fucking cat and not what I expected. A few on here called it and I should’ve listened. Should be our best forward but hasn’t been close.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
CHN actually made the 24 man kiwi squad last year but pulled out due to injury.

Jean-Claude Juncker

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Pays bitches will be coming for you In 3,2,1....

Roster excuses

We are just a poorly coached team with the worst fitness

Hopefully if/when Pay gets the arse his loyal supporters ride off on that ‘horse’ into the sunset with him
What a bitchy post.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
We are still playing like shit. Fkn pathetic attack, no intensity in defense. Ofcourse goal line defense will improve if thats all youve been doing all year.
If anyone thinks we are playing remotely well got no clue. We have no chance of beating the top teams. We are just a team with nothing to lose beating teams who are just making up the numbers.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We are arguably in the second stage of rebuilding... Last year was the demolishment and this year is foundations. Next yr should be the work starting to come together and really look like something. Considering we are building with limited capital we are good stead if we make some good signings mentioned and with youngsters coming through.
Thanks for the input Kevin,

So can we expect Pay to be given a 10 year extension on his current contract and dare we dream of a finals berth in 2029???? I have nothing against Pay as a person, I'm sure his a top bloke and very likable but that alone will not ensure success and these question marks being thrown at our current roster, oh their just not good enough, we're in a rebuilding faze, are nothing but excuses to hide Pays short comings as a coach.

The consensus is that Pay deserves more time but the truth is a better coach would be knocking on the door of the final 8 with this team and not relying on the results of other games while trying to avoid the spoon.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
..then how are we able to string some wins together during the backend of the last two seasons? It's apparently the worst roster in history according to some so it shouldn't be possible to win?

The quality of NRL teams in today's game is hardly anything flash, the gap is no where as big as some try to make out....there's talent and raw ability here within the club yet we play like absolute shit for the majority of the season when it matters and only get results when it doesn't.

Where is the so called rebuild? We didn't build on last season and this season is nothing more than a repeat of the previous. Shouldn't a good coach have got more from us when it mattered? Are we starting from scratch once again next season and the season after that?
Our roster isn’t bad, it’s very inexperienced. Especially in key positions. DWZ has helped a lot, but we still have a very inexperienced spine. Of course we’re going to be inconsistent.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
We have the worst roster in the NRL on paper. Pay needs to change tactics and selections though. Our defense has been good lately but our attack is horrific.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
To me the fact that last year and this year we go well at the end of the season means we could have done better during it. Yep we have a terrible roster BUT there has been many games this year while watching you just tell yourself, "These c*nts are kidding themselves". We have reasons but I will always think that we have underachieved. Not saying at all we are a top 8 team but with recent results it proves that we could/should have been a few spots above our current position.

"There's no use sprinting to the finish line and improving your time by 5 seconds when you could have tried harder all race and improved your time by minutes".

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
When Hasler was in charge, people used to complain that there were no consequences for performing badly.
Now there's too many?
You can't please all of the people, all of the time.
Very true, but it’s the kennel.....
Don’t come on here telling the truth ..... lol

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ive been saying this all year yes we have some weak players but also some good ones and we should be playing alot better this year and pays poor coaching and selections is what has hurt us we should be around 8-10th with this squad

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Thanks for the input Kevin,

So can we expect Pay to be given a 10 year extension on his current contract and dare we dream of a finals berth in 2029???? I have nothing against Pay as a person, I'm sure his a top bloke and very likable but that alone will not ensure success and these question marks being thrown at our current roster, oh their just not good enough, we're in a rebuilding faze, are nothing but excuses to hide Pays short comings as a coach.

The consensus is that Pay deserves more time but the truth is a better coach would be knocking on the door of the final 8 with this team and not relying on the results of other games while trying to avoid the spoon.
Maybe you should read my following post Tom.

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah great thread..... not.
Lets have a sook after beating sharks, penrith, newcastle and tigers.
Cleary, macguire, Brown and the likes should throw it away after getting beat by our gun side.
You should name all the gun players we have that would walk into a half decent side like the raiders or eels since you see nothing wrong with our side.......

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s that time of the year again I think some players have been tapped on the shoulder so they playing good to attract interest.
Our attack is god awful we look good when we get the second phase happening
Our roster on paper is awful but the main thing we lacked and clearly shows is experience in the key positions and Foran in and out don’t help he tries hard but his body has failed him

I still believe there is a few games we should and could have won against Canberra minus rep players against Souths and manly and storm first time round we should have won and even against the rooster if that game went a further 10 mins I think we could have got them
If those results went in our favour plus what we have we be sitting in the 8 or in that congested area

With the form towards the back end of the season pay will survive but I say if they land a few signings in the off season come next year the finals will be his pass mark and if they recruit some big names with the money they have top4 is the set mark for pay if he still there or who ever comes in

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
It’s that time of the year again I think some players have been tapped on the shoulder so they playing good to attract interest.
Our attack is god awful we look good when we get the second phase happening
Our roster on paper is awful but the main thing we lacked and clearly shows is experience in the key positions and Foran in and out don’t help he tries hard but his body has failed him

I still believe there is a few games we should and could have won against Canberra minus rep players against Souths and manly and storm first time round we should have won and even against the rooster if that game went a further 10 mins I think we could have got them
If those results went in our favour plus what we have we be sitting in the 8 or in that congested area

With the form towards the back end of the season pay will survive but I say if they land a few signings in the off season come next year the finals will be his pass mark and if they recruit some big names with the money they have top4 is the set mark for pay if he still there or who ever comes in
Thing is, two seasons in a row the team has missed the pre-sesson badly.
Which has ensured the season has gone up in smoke before getting half way through the season.

Remember before the 2018 season how the squad was "training the house down" that was the quote direct from the club! Only to find out the complete opposite was true.

Our roster has some quality players in it. If you look at the last two seasons it is a perfect example of poor player management & poor coaching.

Now Pay may get better, as we all learn from mistakes. Question is how long do you give him.