November talks....

BulldogsNRL

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Inconsistent?
Kinights are inconsistent.... I suggest you watch more knights games
If they didn’t have ponga they would be 3-4 wins less off
Ponga turns up every game, just coz he doesn’t drag em to a win every week doesn’t mean his inconsistent
If we did get Ponga, We have to get good players to play around him in order for him to fit in the team. Cause we are not going to rely on Ponga like we do with Foran

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Had never heard of him... just watched his highlights reel... wow...
That's what I mean, we have to be careful who we buy and how much money we splash out. First opportunity should be given to our young guns coming through and then fill the caps with external purchases.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
That's what I mean, we have to be careful who we buy and how much money we splash out. First opportunity should be given to our young guns coming through and then fill the caps with external purchases.
Yeah personally I wouldn’t be chasing Latrell Mitchell or Joey Manu on huge dollars but Ramien or Xerri on $500k makes sense cause this young kid we have could be 2-3 years away from establishing himself in first grade. We still need a centre now.

AucklandDog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Everyone listing teams with gun forwards and backs but have the dirtiest halves pairings in the world. Can you just imagine Xerri, Latrell, Turbo etc etc having to rot while Lewis and Cogger fuck every backline up. Please god sign a decent half
Keary and Munster coming right up

RefWorld

Waterboy
Reaction score
I follow the game, no particular team and browse club forums from time to time and have an interest in rosters and salary caps. The Dogs need to get this right or they will continue to languish at the bottom of the table for the foreseeable future. And the continued talk about having a ‘war-chest’ of $8 + MIL to spend for 2021 needs to be tempered with some reality.

The salary cap for the Top 30 players in 2021 will be $9.5 MIL, up from 9.1 MIL this year and 9.3 MIL next year.

The Dogs will have 8 players still contracted at the end of 2020:

Christian Crichton, Nick Meaney, Dylan Napa, Ofahiki Ogden, Jayden Okunbor, James Roumanos – All till the end of 2021. A conservative estimate of their collective cost would be around $1.5 MIL.

And 2 players contracted till the end of 2022: Corey Harawira-Naera and Joe Stimson – Another $700 K or so there - Around $2.2 MIL for 8 Players already committed for 2021 so far.

Top 30 Players Off Contract End Of 2019: Fa'amanu Brown, Danny Fualalo, Kayne Kalache, Michael Lichaa, John Olive.

5 players, the only one the Dogs are likely to resign is Kalache, on the minimum wage of $110 K. So with only Stimson added for 2020 ( At this stage) another 3 players will have to be signed or upgraded for 2020. $350 K if they just upgrade 3 players on the minimum, more if they sign any other established players. Another $450 K in total committed if they just upgrade 4 min wage players including Kalache.

Top 30 Players Off Contract End Of 2020: Jarred Anderson, Jack Cogger, Adam Elliott, Raymond Faitala-Mariner, Kieran Foran, Kerrod Holland, Will Hopoate, Josh Jackson, Lachlan Lewis, Jeremy Marshall-King, Marcelo Montoya, Chris Smith, Reimis Smith, Sauaso Sue, Renouf To'omaga, Aiden Tolman, Brandon Wakeham, Dallin Watene-Zelezniak

18 Players, who the Dogs want to resign and who wants to resign out of that lot is a lottery: The most likely I guess would be Cogger, Hopoate, Jackson, L Lewis, JMK, R Smith, Wakeham, DWZ – 8 players costing around $2.5 MIL.

So, as it stands now, the Dogs will have about 20 contracted players costing around $5.2 MIL at the end of 2020. Leaving a ‘War Chest’ of $4.3 MIL for 2021 to sign or resign 10 players. Who the Dogs sign and how much they pay for them will determine the Dogs future.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Thanks @RefWorld - exactly in line with the message from the board in May 2018 - it would be 2021 before we could expect significant improvement in our ability to compete in the player market. Assuming your calculations are close enough to the mark, that’s still a significant improvement on 2018 and 2019 - I’d take even half a war chest over the bag of crumbs we’ve had the last couple of years thanks to Habib Dib and his band of pirates who screwed us.

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
first off, buy the roosters accountant with 6 million of that money. then let him come up with a plan where we buy everyone on the list above and still have 1.8 million left over.
Welcome to the kennel.

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bulldogs 2021
Coach: Pay/Flanagan
1. +Latrell 2021
2. DWZ
3. Hopoate
4. +Ramien 2020
5. Reimis
6. Cogger
7. Lewis
8. Tolman
9. +Koroisau 2020
10. +Arrow 2021
11. CHN
12. Stimson
13. Jackson

14. JMK
15. Napa
16. +Flegler 2021
17. Elliott

Latrell 1m 5 years 5m
Arrow 1m 4 years 4m
Ramien 500k 3 years 1.5m
Koroisau 400k 2 years 800k
Stimson 300k 3 years 900k*
Flegler 300k 3 years 900k

Will be about ~800k in the salary cap if my calculations are some what accurate.

Other
Tom Trbojevic 1.3m 5 years 6.5m (-Latrell)
Jake Trbojevic 1.2m 5 years 6m (-Arrow)

Would leave us with about ~300k in the salary cap. Also wouldn't have a Tier 1 goal kicker.

If we kept DWZ Fullback, I'd go after either Oates - 2020, Cotric - 2021 or Vunivalu -2021 (6-700k it'd cost tho). Also Oates probably not affordable with Ramien and Koroisau.
I like most of what you say but you are still pushing Latrell as a FB, I really have not seen anything to suggest he is one and I think Dallin is doing a great job.
We should be spending money at centre, dominant half, hooker and adding some punch to our forward back.
Ramien, Korisou and Flegler signings I am on board with, Latrell is a great centre and if we can get him at the right price, great; same goes with Arrow, he is great but $1m on a forward is a bit much.
So says the expert on weird shit.
That would put him in a pretty good position to make such a call :P

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
When is Wade Graham off contract? He would be one forward worth spending big $$ on

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
8,000,000.... Providing we re-sign absolutely nobody and extend upgrade anybody...

We aren't going to have 8 million to go splurge. This isn't cash cow.
True, but we are still going to have way more than anyone else

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You really do suffer from serious brain damage
I'm really not sold on api korasaui
I don't know what all the fuss is about with this player
Why would we waste 400k on a dud.
I would rather Holland off the bench at hooker who can spark the team.
Both Jmk and Holland show more striking prowess than dud Api.
Spend the money on buying a big prop

Paulie Gualtieri

Previously Shrimp
Reaction score
I'm really not sold on api korasaui
I don't know what all the fuss is about with this player
Why would we waste 400k on a dud.
I would rather Holland off the bench at hooker who can spark the team.
Both Jmk and Holland show more striking prowess than dud Api.
Spend the money on buying a big prop
Old mate is talking about Ryan Papenhuyzen not Api. Since you mentioned Api though, I honestly can't put a price tag on Api but he shits on JMK and Holland mate. Haven't you had enough of mediocre rugby league players like Holland and JMK ? they both are pathetic footballers

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Old mate is talking about Ryan Papenhuyzen not Api. Since you mentioned Api though, I honestly can't put a price tag on Api but he shits on JMK and Holland mate. Haven't you had enough of mediocre rugby league players like Holland and JMK ? they both are pathetic footballers
I disagree with you mate.
Saw api tonight in the first half anyway.
No better than what we have,in fact I rate jmk better, but that's just my opinion.
As for Papi from Melbourne that guy could be anything very dangerous player