Daily Telegraph/Rothfield Canterbury target Api Koroisau & Foran injured again

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
From the looks of it, it seems the dogs are sticking to their guns for once rather than just caving in and paying overs.
If that's the case, I like it. We can't be a pushover club any more.

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wouldn’t Api get the same money if he goes to us or the Warriors anyway? Manly would have to pick up the $100k difference in the deals.
I think the article is saying that warriors will offer slightly more so he needs to weigh up whether or not that increased salary is worth moving country and playing for the Warriors.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think the article is saying that warriors will offer slightly more so he needs to weigh up whether or not that increased salary is worth moving country and playing for the Warriors.
I think there's a lot of factors in this. Manly wanting to pays as less of his salary as they can over the next two years, Api being happy with what he's getting paid, Api making a decision if he wants to move away from Sydney, The dogs not wanting to Pay more than $400K...a lot of variables. Need all parties to be happy for the signing to happen.

If I was Api, I'd come to the dogs...I think we're in a better position to build towards becoming a premiership contender in the next fews years than the Warriors. Warriors will always be flops, they'll always be that hot and cold team.

Besides, Kearney isn't that much of a better coach than Pay.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think there's a lot of factors in this. Manly wanting to pays as less of his salary as they can over the next two years, Api being happy with what he's getting paid, Api making a decision if he wants to move away from Sydney, The dogs not wanting to Pay more than $400K...a lot of variables. Need all parties to be happy for the signing to happen.

If I was Api, I'd come to the dogs...I think we're in a better position to build towards becoming a premiership contender in the next fews years than the Warriors. Warriors will always be flops, they'll always be that hot and cold team.

Besides, Kearney isn't that much of a better coach than Pay.
I see it differently .. the person who decides their own fate is Api here and only Api..

he is guaranteed his manly contract at bare minimum.. and Manly needs him off the books ..

Api can say , no I don't want live in NZ... Tell Manly to accept the bulldogs offer or he'll just stay in reserve grade and collect 500k a year.. And if the bulldogs management are smart they'll recognize this..

If Api is happy to live in NZ, well that vastly changes things..

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I see it differently .. the person who decides their own fate is Api here and only Api..

he is guaranteed his manly contract at bare minimum.. and Manly needs him off the books ..

Api can say , no I don't want live in NZ... Tell Manly to accept the bulldogs offer or he'll just stay in reserve grade and collect 500k a year.. And if the bulldogs management are smart they'll recognize this..

If Api is happy to live in NZ, well that vastly changes things..
I don't get it, don't Manly have to accept the amount that they will need to fork out as part of their cap? Or are you basing you assumption that Manly have agreed to the amount already? What if they are happy to keep him if they don't get what they want?

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't get it, don't Manly have to accept the amount that they will need to fork out as part of their cap? Or are you basing you assumption that Manly have agreed to the amount already? What if they are happy to keep him if they don't get want they want?
im basing it on Manly needing cap space.. just like we did and resulted in us having to chip in money forother clubs to take our players... Manly have a lot of really good players coming off contract.. they need whatever money they can salvage from Api's contract.

Essentially what im saying is , of course Manly would prefer Api to go with Warriors, so they can get as much money back as possible .. but ultimately the contracted player holds the power in this negotiation.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
im basing it on Manly needing cap space.. just like we did and resulted in us having to chip in money forother clubs to take our players... Manly have a lot of really good players coming off contract.. they need whatever money they can salvage from Api's contract.

Essentially what im saying is , of course Manly would prefer Api to go with Warriors, so they can get as much money back as possible .. but ultimately the contracted player holds the power in this negotiation.
It all depends on who else Manly have that they are willing to release or if other clubs are interested. If they have someone else then they will just move that player and they will keep Api and Fainu at hooker. As dogswhisperer said I think there’s plenty of variables and who knows we might be willing to match the Warriors offer but are just hoping to get that $100k off our books.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
It all depends on who else Manly have that they are willing to release or if other clubs are interested. If they have someone else then they will just move that player and they will keep Api and Fainu at hooker. As dogswhisperer said I think there’s plenty of variables and who knows we might be willing to match the Warriors offer but are just hoping to get that $100k off our books.
generally speaking, players are asked to look elsewhere because they are surplus to requirements and the club has over capitilised in certain positions, and that players money could or needs to be used elsewhere.
just the turbo bros alone are enough to panic Manly into a fire sale .. and don't forget DCE already takes a fair chunk on his own (1.3 allegedly)..

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
generally speaking, players are asked to look elsewhere because they are surplus to requirements and the club has over capitilised in certain positions, and that players money could or needs to be used elsewhere.
just the turbo bros alone are enough to panic Manly into a fire sale .. and don't forget DCE already takes a fair chunk on his own (1.3 allegedly)..
It all depends on the situation and if the cap is involved it changes things. It all depends on if the player they want to release is wanted by any other clubs and how much they are willing to pay. Manly probably have an figure they need to free up in the cap and a few ways to do it so if they don’t make it work with Api they go to the next option.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
$500k a season is what he is on atm at Manly and the offer Warriors have thrown at him.

fiordog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
At least Tigers re-signed Liddle, so one less (two less?) issues to worry about :grimacing::grimacing:

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Warriors another club that continues to buy players and pay overs but is never in salary cap strife

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
How have we stuffed this up? We have given a competitive offer and not over paid what else do you suggest they do?
Considering we’ve got no hooker for next year, and there’s no other decent option sometimes you need to pay a bit of overs, not a big amount though, but it’s an important position the hooker

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Considering we’ve got no hooker for next year, and there’s no other decent option sometimes you need to pay a bit of overs, not a big amount though, but it’s an important position the hooker
So why not try to get that hooker without paying overs first....