Des Hasler and Bulldog Playing Style

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
The squad Hasler has atm was thanks to Barrett actually, im sure he got them into semis year before as well.
All Hasler has done was fine tune their defense.

Take away Turbo brothers, Fainu, Thompson,Api, Walker DCE, Taupau and AFB and no way Hasler would be having this much success with them

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Hasler has had the luxury of good rosters until things got messed up, even at Manly today Barrett had things in place before hand.
Barrett finished 15th with same squad?

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
The squad Hasler has atm was thanks to Barrett actually, im sure he got them into semis year before as well.

Take away Turbo brothers, Fainu, Thompson,Api, Walker DCE, Taupau and AFB and no way Hasler would be having this much success with them
False logic, take away & replace with who?

Bottom line Barrett finished 15th with essentially the same squad.
Manly are so much better this season and getting better as the season goes on!
Did you see their game against Melbourne, how they shut down all of Melbourne's set plays.
They have good players yes, but if you think they aren't a well coached team you are kidding yourself.

Last edited:

Valley Viking

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Barrett finished 15th with same squad?
He finished 5th the year before that. Barrett recruited Fonua-Blake, Sironen, Thompson, Suli and gave Fainu a start as well. He deserves some credit and they had a lot off field dramas last year to contend with.

Des was a great coach but then got stale and too stubborn to adjust. The year out has done him good. Manly just needs to keep him away from recruitment and junior pathways and they should be right.

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
False logic, take away & replace with who?

Bottom line Barrett finished 15th with essentially the same squad.
Manly are so much better this season and getting better as the seadon goes on!
Did you see their game against Melbourne, how they shut down all of Melbourne's set plays.
They have good players yes, but if you think they aren't a well coached team you are kidding yourself.
Barrett had injuries and a shitload of off field issues whuch derailed their season last year.

Des only ability has been defense, he saved our asses for years on back of defense even though we couldnt score in a brothel. In his first stint with manly he was also blessed with once in a generation team.

Take those sorts of players away and no way manly wins all those premierships. Not saying he can't coach, but he is clueless when it comes to attack.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Barrett had injuries and a shitload of off field issues whuch derailed their season last year.

Des only ability has been defense, he saved our asses for years on back of defense even though we couldnt score in a brothel. In his first stint with manly he was also blessed with once in a generation team.

Take those sorts of players away and no way manly wins all those premierships. Not saying he can't coach, but he is clueless when it comes to attack.
2017 was the only season Des coached where we couldn't score.
2016 - 506 points scored, 2015 - 522 points scored.
Mybe & Reynolds were fucking awful in 2017 and their drop in form was quite inexplicable.

Even with a measly 360 points in 2017 the team lost 6 games by 6 points or less.

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Manly didn’t get sick of him he won the comp in 2011 and I suppose was promised a pay rise and tight ass penn didn’t come to the party and our management swooped and wasn’t meant to come until 2013 but we got him earlier

Hasler had a pay rise with us and state of the art facilities and full run of the joint

HaceDog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
You are delusional. It was well documented that hasler had full control of the books. So yes he had full control of the backended deals with players and resigned players. It was his squad, it was his fault we didn't have the halves to adapt.
He appointed cleal who fucked up our recruitment and juniors, once again haslers fault.
Had Hasler stayed it would have been delaying the pain as he would have kept back ending contracts, that is not a solution.
So you think the club has deliberately put together the worst squad in the NRL? If the salary cap issues are bullshit you must think that.
I couldn't care less about haslers winning percentage, he fucked our club and I am happy he has fucked off. In saying that his 57% winning percentage is useless As he didn't win a premiership with us. That's what good coaches are marked on.
If Des had stayed as coach I suspect we would never have heard of the "salary cap crisis" which was made up bullshit anyway.

Those players you mentioned never signed with the bulldogs and were only ever at preliminary discussion stage is my understanding.

Des history is he is not a recruiting coach both at Manly & Canterbury he worked with the squad he had or with who came through the ranks. His problem at Canterbury was when the obstruction rule changed we didn't have halves that were good enough, in fact Mybe & Reynold got worse, never clicked and it resulted in the disastrous 2017.

So you think as head coach Des was running the NRL squad, also looking after pathways and working the calculator structuring player contacts do you? So Des was doing everything was he?
Do you know Mick Malthouse the former AFL coach? Malthouse never knew what any of his players were on, he left the contract negotiations to the GM of football at each club.

Yeah but it's all Des' fault right. He had 57% winning record, 5 finals series in a row, wanted to stay at the club and rebuild the roster but got sack. Once he got sacked the club owns all the outcomes which is the team has gone backwards.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He is far better than #payout .!!

Yes his last few years with us were crap an I was one who wanted him gone, am glad he is.. but far superior than dean pay at the end of the day.. he has manly doing well. Given has a good line up of players..

#payout.!!!
Where do you see that ?
His last couple of seasons, he got similar results to Pay with twice the roster.

Aristidiz

Bullwog
Reaction score
If Des had stayed as coach I suspect we would never have heard of the "salary cap crisis" which was made up bullshit anyway.

Those players you mentioned never signed with the bulldogs and were only ever at preliminary discussion stage is my understanding.

Des history is he is not a recruiting coach both at Manly & Canterbury he worked with the squad he had or with who came through the ranks. His problem at Canterbury was when the obstruction rule changed we didn't have halves that were good enough, in fact Mybe & Reynold got worse, never clicked and it resulted in the disastrous 2017.

So you think as head coach Des was running the NRL squad, also looking after pathways and working the calculator structuring player contacts do you? So Des was doing everything was he?
Do you know Mick Malthouse the former AFL coach? Malthouse never knew what any of his players were on, he left the contract negotiations to the GM of football at each club.

Yeah but it's all Des' fault right. He had 57% winning record, 5 finals series in a row, wanted to stay at the club and rebuild the roster but got sack. Once he got sacked the club owns all the outcomes which is the team has gone backwards.
Your are very wrong about the salary cap crisis. Backended contracts did happen, and they were all pushed by Des. The incompetent board didn't raise an eyebrow.

Des had a massive role in saying who was signed and for how much. He had little to no invovlement in junior development, which wasn't necessarily his job.

The fact is Des used Canterbury as an experiment to try a new coaching style. He thought he would get away with it because he had Dib under his thumb. His experiment failed and now we are still paying the price.

LFC Bulldogs

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think Hasler is a competent coach, but just for the on fieldstuff. Don’t give him any input in player recruitment , just assemble a team for him and let him coach it. As long as the signings and roster recruitment are made by others and he is left completely out of the process he will do well.
In his first year with us he took us to the GF with a roster that he had inherited.
It was all downhill after that when he got involved in player recruitment and retention.

Last edited:

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
Funny how some in the media said dessie sound never be allowed back after his cap mess at 2 club's. Surely thus is the end of him they said , surely no one will have him after this again they said . Surely he is Daily m coach of the year now they say. Short memory these dumb ***** have.

BondiBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Take away Turbo brothers, Fainu, Thompson,Api, Walker DCE, Taupau and AFB and no way Hasler would be having this much success with the

It's like people don't follow football on here just the Dogs. Sea Eagles were absolute trash under Barrett with the same squad.
Same people that probably stick up for Lichaa and say Bellamy is just lucky, Smith/Cronk over rated etc anyway whatever. I just hate ignorance and people making totally incorrect statements/assumptions.
Hasler when it comes to JUST coaching is very good. I don't even rate our rosters in 2012-14
Defintely wasn't top 5, that's why I'm still bewildered about us being so over the cap.

And just LOL at people that want Barrett as coach. FMD.

Aristidiz

Bullwog
Reaction score
Funny how some in the media said dessie sound never be allowed back after his cap mess at 2 club's. Surely thus is the end of him they said , surely no one will have him after this again they said . Surely he is Daily m coach of the year now they say. Short memory these dumb ***** have.
Unfortuantely happens in business all the time. CEO gets sacked at one company a picked up at another. Even bad experience is better than no experience. Eventually they are shown the door once again

silva

Utility
Reaction score

Spot on we were only im a crisis after about rd 6 last yr. No mention of it in the off season. Clear as day what happened

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
It's like people don't follow football on here just the Dogs. Sea Eagles were absolute trash under Barrett with the same squad.
Same people that probably stick up for Lichaa and say Bellamy is just lucky, Smith/Cronk over rated etc anyway whatever. I just hate ignorance and people making totally incorrect statements/assumptions.
Hasler when it comes to JUST coaching is very good. I don't even rate our rosters in 2012-14
Defintely wasn't top 5, that's why I'm still bewildered about us being so over the cap.

And just LOL at people that want Barrett as coach. FMD.
I am starting to think that way to.
Our squad 2012 - 2016 wasn't that good and over achieved making the finals each year.

At the time I would look at our squad and think."fuck that's a great team" it's called one eye bias.
We had some good forwards and a few good backs but fucking shit halves through those five years.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
You are delusional. It was well documented that hasler had full control of the books. So yes he had full control of the backended deals with players and resigned players. It was his squad, it was his fault we didn't have the halves to adapt.
He appointed cleal who fucked up our recruitment and juniors, once again haslers fault.
Had Hasler stayed it would have been delaying the pain as he would have kept back ending contracts, that is not a solution.
So you think the club has deliberately put together the worst squad in the NRL? If the salary cap issues are bullshit you must think that.
I couldn't care less about haslers winning percentage, he fucked our club and I am happy he has fucked off. In saying that his 57% winning percentage is useless As he didn't win a premiership with us. That's what good coaches are marked on.
What document shows Des was solely responsible for player contracts, how much & structure? I would be interested to read said document/s.

I agree about the halves and Mybe I consider the biggest dud of all, Reynolds form fell off a cliff in 2017.
I Still remember when all & sundry on the Kennel were jizzing over Mybe and begging Hodkinson to fuck off so we could keep Mybe. Des wasn't the only person that Mybe fooled.

We started this season more than $1 million under the salary cap, so hardly a crisis and purchased DWZ and again forward loaded existing contracts.
There is an agenda being run regards the salary cap, maybe just maybe a shield to hide behind for poor on field performance. I ask you how do we spend 95% of the salary cap on our current squad.

To your final point. So six years if the maximum time frame you would give a coach to deliver a premiership?

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I hope you read this with an open mind !
I have idealized Hasler all his playing and coaching life until the end of 2014,
Yes it took me three years of him being at Canterbury to realize what a fraud at Canterbury he was !!!
Don't ever be mistaken...Greenturd signed Hasler in full and total control of football then left us !!!
When Castle took over as the CEO it was a case of Hasler would tell her to jump and she would say...How high !!!
He was fully responsible for the roster...
Pushed out Good loyal players and support team and signed overrated overpaid ones...WHY ?

Yes he got us to the finals 5 times in 6 years, making 2 Grand finals
Why wouldn't he...The board of our rich club were bending backwards for success and he took advantage !!!
2012 He changed his successful tactics in the finals, then lost the Grand final as a result !
I hate to say it, I predicted that result and M.O.M. because of the changes !
2013 we suffered many injuries, but he reverted back to his already exposed tactics and somehow we made the finals under the radar !
2014 The exposed and now very boring tactics kept us in the top 8, UNDER THE RADAR we managed to bash our way to the grand final, Lost again, I know losing our halves and hooker to injuries and suspension didn't help but SHE-REX didn't help either !
2015 The boring tactics continues, I remember in the early season in the game versus the Rorters I sent this text message to a person in management...What has become of our Bulldogs, We are not the ENTERTAINERS, Nor we are the DOGS OF WAR we don't even have the HASLER MANLY STYLE ???

2 years later I got the answer
I learnt that the previous board had negotiated for 18 months to brake Hasler's control then sacked his cronies and Hasler promised to change the teams tactics but never did,
The board never learnt from what Hasler did to his beloved Manly when they sacked Peter Peters, and for that alone they deserved to get the chop !!!
MOST IMPORTANTLY, 3 times the playing group were approached by the management about Hasler's credibility and every time they shouldered the blame...
Do you still wonder why we have or had so many overpaid player ???