Opinion This time last year after 20 rounds

jpneves

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last season the team lost 8 games by 6 points or less before rd 20. This year the team has lost 4 by the margin

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep our defence bar last weekend has not been up to 1st grade standard... we have leaked to many points this year and the close games that we have lost I don’t really think we had much of a chance with our crap attack.

dogsballs

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Please play 2 freaking trials next year, seems the last to seasons started behind the 8 ball and we never could catch up.

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Please play 2 freaking trials next year, seems the last to seasons started behind the 8 ball and we never could catch up.
I was told they will be playing a trial next year at either Coffs or port not sure if it will be a 1st grade trial or a Canterbury cup trial but it will be good for the area as Coffs hasn't had a NRL trial the last couple of years previously when South's played there trial in Coffs they normally had a decent crowd hopefully the mail is correct and they get a trial would be good

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
But last year he had a better squad at his disposal
This time last year he had a better squad? Foran was out for the rest of the season....this year he MAY come back, we had Frawley...this year Cogger and Lewis or Foran a much better combination. Weve got CHN and DWZ and Crichton this year, we dont have Morris twins or Eastwood this year and weve swapped Klemmer for Napa. I dont see a much better squad at this time last year???Who am I missing?

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
The squad Pay had in 2018 was clearly better however were ruined by Desball. The team only started to perform when mass changes were made.

The 2019 squad plays a more attractive style of football however has a terrible roster. They have fought hard and are slowly getting better.

Being realistic we will probably win 10 games next year. Miss the finals again prob come 10th to 12th.

2021 things will really start to shift
With which players coming to the Club in 21?

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Pay plays favourites. Some of his decisions are mind numbingly stupid.

Lichaa and Elliot for starters should never ever ever see FG again.

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This time last year he had a better squad? Foran was out for the rest of the season....this year he MAY come back, we had Frawley...this year Cogger and Lewis or Foran a much better combination. Weve got CHN and DWZ and Crichton this year, we dont have Morris twins or Eastwood this year and weve swapped Klemmer for Napa. I dont see a much better squad at this time last year???Who am I missing?
Did you seriously just mention Crichton

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Pay plays favourites. Some of his decisions are mind numbingly stupid.

Lichaa and Elliot for starters should never ever ever see FG again.
JMK would be playing 80 minutes if he could (Lichaa's just playing until fatigue sets in, also Toomaga's getting <20 minutes and our Second Row plays 80 minutes, so maybe Pay thinks that's the best thing to do for the team?). Elliott's been good this season IMO (and by good I mean better then the average performance within the group). Next season he'll come off the bench tho, 30 minutes a game (our Second Row/Lock will be stacked with Stimson coming in).

Last edited:

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This time last year we had won 5 after 20 rounds
This year after 20 rounds we have won 6 after 20
Discuss how you think were going to change this next year. The clear problem is that we haven't been able to win the important games early on in the season, how will this change under another season of pay.
Couple of top signings might help but will it be enough?
One big difference is we have won more game’s with less strike power, and in no way did we defend our goal line like the way we did against any team like we did the panthers.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Are people forgetting we lost to a raiders team with 7 first graders missing and we lost to a massively under strength manly.

Pay out

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We have Stimson coming, DWZ with a off season of training and hopefully a couple more signings. If one of those signings is a decent hooker like Api then we are definitely a better team then what we ran out with in round 1 this year. I’m not sure it’s good enough for finals but I doubt we will be in dire straights like the past 2 seasons.
That's what I'm thinking.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
we may be 2 points better off at this time of the season .. but our points for and points against is far more worse this year.
I know this point has been thrashed out quite a lot, but considering how much better the rosters are of teams like the dragons, cowboys and knights, we are only one or two wins behind them.
I think we have been consistent this year. Consistently average-poor. But we have only had a few blow outs. We have gone on 4 or 5 game win ing streaks looking like world beaters, and then collapsed to several losses on the trot and looking piss poor. This to me suggests we are on the improve. And as hard as it is to find the motivation when you are rarely winning, we are hanging in there.
Pay may not be a great coach, but I think he has held this team together during a shit period for the club.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Cogger and Lewis need to play as much as possible together. When Foran is fit tho he "has" to play because of his price tag. Foran likes playing on the left so I'd assume Lewis is the one to drop out. I sort of hope there is something in the Foran shopping around story. Even tho we'd have to pay ~700k towards the deal...
Or foran off the bench? Could be a great shot of energy if it appears Lewis is having an off day as he tends to.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
JMK would be playing 80 minutes if he could (Lichaa's just playing until fatigue sets in, also Toomaga's getting <20 minutes and our Second Row plays 80 minutes, so maybe Pay thinks that's the best thing to do for the team?). Elliott's been good this season IMO (and by good I mean better then the average performance within the group). Next season he'll come off the bench tho, 30 minutes a game (our Second Row/Lock will be stacked with Stimson coming in).
I agree. Elliot is just a polarising figure that people love to hate, regardless of what he actually does.

rainman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We have Stimson coming, DWZ with a off season of training and hopefully a couple more signings. If one of those signings is a decent hooker like Api then we are definitely a better team then what we ran out with in round 1 this year. I’m not sure it’s good enough for finals but I doubt we will be in dire straights like the past 2 seasons.
we only need to win 3 or 4 more games next year and we could still maybe make the 8 but would need to improve F&A

enoughsaid

Kennel Tips Winner '04
Reaction score
We need to win games early in the season when it matters..

so no diff to last year

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
We will struggle again in 2020 if Pay doesn't name the strongest possible line ups and coach the best out of them as people and players.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
We will struggle again in 2020 if Pay doesn't name the strongest possible line ups and coach the best out of them as people and players.
This is critical to Pay's future and critiscism of his coaching.

Average roster excuse valid but as we've seen a few games, the players aren't as bad as people say and he is yet to pick the best 17 and sort the bench.

However our last game we got a much deserved win. DWZ was a big part of that.