Des Hasler and Bulldog Playing Style

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
It was 7 years at Manly and they weren't "sick of him".
The board were sick of him, and they wouldnt cave into all of his many demands, which pissed Des off. He may do better with them because he will have more passion for Manly than us, obviously. Also the players look up to him as a Manly club legend there. Has to help. Des should never coach another club outside Manly imo. As long as he can keep the board on side this time around, and not screw their cap up again, he should stay there. Or retire.

MitchNewton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He’s got lucky in the sense of the playing rosters. He’s got aspects of his coaching which is unbelievably good. But also some aspects that are horrible. His roster management is terrible.
This manly squad has been together for a few seasons prior and achieved nothing

Malla

Reaction score
This is an absolute shit of an article.

Des walked into a star studded team thats why he is successful this season.

budgie69

Waterboy
Reaction score
No walking into all star studded fucking line up of Blues, Queensland and Australian players was the best thing to happen to him at Manly. Not getting fired from here.

oh please .. Manly was not tipped by any experts to finish in the top 8 .. he has them in the top 4 or close to it .. even with Tom being out for the 6 -8 weeks early on, missing walker for 6 games playing a rookie five eight and DCE being injured for 4 weeks plus Blake begin injured and rookie wingers and make shift fullback in Elliot .. mate you gotta give him some credit

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Point is, who was tipping them for top 8 before the season almost nobody and they a chance to finish top 4.
Deny it if you want but Des works well with this squad, and can get the best out of them.

Malla

Reaction score
Point is, who was tipping them for top 8 before the season almost nobody and they a chance to finish top 4.
Deny it if you want but Des works well with this squad, and can get the best out of them.
He works well with the squad - not disputing that, but the squad is a finals ready squad. You cant dispute that either.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
He works well with the squad - not disputing that, but the squad is a finals ready squad. You cant dispute that either.
Yes they are going to play finals. The match against Melbourne and their ability to shut down Melbourne's set plays means they are a danger to the likes of Storm & Roosters. I haven't watched one Raiders game this season so I don't have a clue on Canberra other then I see they are doing really well also.

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Finals ready squad that finished 15th the previous season with no new signings and has had its star players for majority of season on sideline

Malla

Reaction score
Finals ready squad that finished 15th the previous season with no new signings and has had its star players for majority of season on sideline
Many off field issues impacted Manly last year.

DCE v Hastings
Dylan Walker
Salary Cap breaches
Trent Barrett v CEO
Koroisau, Sironen and Walker suffered long term injuries.

Delta

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Statistically speaking, Hasler is a good coach. Every year at Manly was top 8 I'm pretty sure, and we only missed out on finals once under Des Hasler. Think back to 2016-2017, there was a lot wrong with the team.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
Bellamy, Bennett and Hasler are on a different planet compared to the other coaches in the game. We had one the best and sacked him. Major booboo

HaceDog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Out of interest what do you think would have happened to our salary cap mess had Des still been here?
I don't doubt he can coach but the guy has no idea about recruitment or salary cap management. To be offered lattrel Mitchell and Connor Watson and take their time offering Cameron Munster a contract says it all. Our juniors went from being competitive to cellar dwellars under his management. I don't want the grub anywhere near the dogs again.
Yeah you are complaining you don't like seeing Des doing well at Manly right?

My point is he never got to finish the job at Canterbury.
Would Klemmer have left if Des was still there.
Would Des have got Woods playing better at Canterbury.
Would there have been the "salary cap crisis" if Des was still there.

You can't criticise the paiting when you replaced the painter half way through.
The club ownes the outcome not Des.

Last edited:

HaceDog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
No way. The guy nearly brought our club to its knees. How the fuck can you say it was a mistake to get rid of him?
Bellamy, Bennett and Hasler are on a different planet compared to the other coaches in the game. We had one the best and sacked him. Major booboo

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hasler has had the luxury of good rosters until things got messed up, even at Manly today Barrett had things in place before hand.

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
anyone who watched the last 3 yrs under hasler and still think we should have kept him, should be kept away from sharp objects

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Out of interest what do you think would have happened to our salary cap mess had Des still been here?
I don't doubt he can coach but the guy has no idea about recruitment or salary cap management. To be offered lattrel Mitchell and Connor Watson and take their time offering Cameron Munster a contract says it all. Our juniors went from being competitive to cellar dwellars under his management. I don't want the grub anywhere near the dogs again.
If Des had stayed as coach I suspect we would never have heard of the "salary cap crisis" which was made up bullshit anyway.

Those players you mentioned never signed with the bulldogs and were only ever at preliminary discussion stage is my understanding.

Des history is he is not a recruiting coach both at Manly & Canterbury he worked with the squad he had or with who came through the ranks. His problem at Canterbury was when the obstruction rule changed we didn't have halves that were good enough, in fact Mybe & Reynold got worse, never clicked and it resulted in the disastrous 2017.

So you think as head coach Des was running the NRL squad, also looking after pathways and working the calculator structuring player contacts do you? So Des was doing everything was he?
Do you know Mick Malthouse the former AFL coach? Malthouse never knew what any of his players were on, he left the contract negotiations to the GM of football at each club.

Yeah but it's all Des' fault right. He had 57% winning record, 5 finals series in a row, wanted to stay at the club and rebuild the roster but got sack. Once he got sacked the club owns all the outcomes which is the team has gone backwards.