News Superstar Kalyn Ponga chasing four-year $6 million deal at Knights

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Newcastle young gun Kalyn Ponga’s management team have approached the Knights about an upgraded and extended contract valued at $6 million over the next four seasons.

In a deal which would make Ponga one of the highest paid players in the history of rugby league, Fox Sports has learned the figure was floated during the Knights recent loss to Wests Tigers at McDonald Jones Stadium.

Regarded as one of the best talents to emerge in the last decade, Ponga is currently signed with the Knights until the end of 2021 with an option for 2022 in the Newcastle fullback’s favour.

But under the terms of this upgraded contract, Ponga would remain at the Knights until the end of 2023 on a deal worth $6 million over the next four years.

Ponga’s agent Wayde Rushton mooted the deal during a meeting with Knights head of football Brian Canavan and recruitment manager Troy Pezet during Newcastle’s Round 19 loss to Wests Tigers in Newcastle.

It was the same night Ponga put on some of the best footwork of the season to score a scintillating, close-range solo try.

“I did recently meet with Newcastle about an upgrade and extension for Kalyn,” Rushton said.

Asked was the figure floated $6 million over the next four seasons, Rushton said: “I’m not going to confirm what figures might have been discussed”.

Rival clubs have been made aware of the figure and are crunching the numbers to see if it is feasible to invest this percentage of the salary cap in a marquee talent like Ponga.

The Knights are currently trying to arrest a five-match losing streak which has seen them fall from top four candidates to outside of the top eight.

Newcastle play the Eels at Bankwest Stadium on Saturday in a game the club needs to win to remain in finals contention.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/a9c32938c509c472743b6b026cc950ea

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ponga's agent is kidding himself Ponga is good player but there's 2 better fullbacks in the comp then him and for that type of money you'd want someone like Joey or JT who can win games by themselves.

On the other hand I love that Newcastle's cap is already shot and this will blow it apart.

Dogsville

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ponga's agent is kidding himself Ponga is good player but there's 2 better fullbacks in the comp then him and for that type of money you'd want someone like Joey or JT who can win games by themselves.

On the other hand I love that Newcastle's cap is already shot and this will blow it apart.
Yeah the paid big dollars for Klem too, so there cap is shot. They went hard this year to make playoffs but are slowly fading away.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
A great player, who can create tries out of nothing, but a six million dollar player I think not.

Then again, players are being paid massive overs these days and the nrl will probably do whatever they can to stop him jumping to a rival code

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah the paid big dollars for Klem too, so there cap is shot. They went hard this year to make playoffs but are slowly fading away.
The Knights have a good prop, fullback and decent enough halfback but the rest of that squad is very average. Their pack relies heavily on Klemmer and he just can't do the job by himself.

I can't see them doing much better next year either.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
Fuck me 1.5 a year that’s way to much would rather get teddy or turbo for 1.2

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
A great player, who can create tries out of nothing, but a six million dollar player I think not.

Then again, players are being paid massive overs these days and the nrl will probably do whatever they can to stop him jumping to a rival code
The Knights will be desperate to keep him so they could be sucked in to paying massive overs.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Somebody will pay 1.5 mil a year, so based on market value - he is worth it

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Lol. He isn't better than Teddy or RTS, probably isn't a better attacking fullback than Tom...he simply doesn't rate high enough to get this sort of coin from any club, anyone that pays this is stupid.

hayes

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't understand how the manger justify doubling his current contract with only a one year extension.

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score

They would be dumb enough to pay that money to Ponga. I can see this guy spending a lot of time off the field as well with injuries. Bloody good player though glad its Knights problem. Not worth that cash.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Lol. He isn't better than Teddy or RTS, probably isn't a better attacking fullback than Tom...he simply doesn't rate high enough to get this sort of coin from any club, anyone that pays this is stupid.
He is also younger then all of them, and I would wager that he will become better then them all too. He is a once in a generation player.
But $1.5 mil is over the top.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Thank's to our cap situation, player managers are upping the ante. Surely something will give and someone will bite.

Blueandwhiteblood1968

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ponga might be a talented player but he can't win without good players around him, I think he's being greedy but if the Knights want to pay that kind of coin to one player then they better not expect to sign any quality players for a few seasons and better hope he doesn't have constant injuries.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We will end up paying it

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
He is also younger then all of them, and I would wager that he will become better then them all too. He is a once in a generation player.
But $1.5 mil is over the top.
Possibly... Still think at that coin your buying the absolute best and not someone that might be the best.

Doomsdaydog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
lol.....

Ponga was pulling this shit while at the Cowboys and is now doing it again at the Knights.

**** is a mercenary and drama queen.

Sold out the Kiwis to get 30k from the Maroons but wants to play for the All Blacks. Fuck him off

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
He’s a freak. Dunno what the cap is for 2022 before bagging his request for $.

That said I agree Tedesco is better and Tommy turbo is prefer too.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Just another ego driven player who can't decide whether he wants to play league or Union depending on the salary being offered. Daddy got him to leave the Cowboys because they " didn't look after him" by giving him run of the team and a whopping salary. . Good luck to the Knights if they entertain this idea; after all they decided to off load a player that they had to have simply because they couldn't upset big head Ponga by not making sure he gets the ball at least three times a set....Team of egos....