Bulldogs “still have hopes for finals”: Watene-Zelezniak

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The Bulldogs sit in 15th, but their fullback believes finals are still on the cards.

DANIEL EWART

CONTRIBUTOR
AUGUST 5, 2019 - 11:59 AM

SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA - JUNE 30: Dallin Watene-Zelezniak of the Bulldogs celebrates with team mates after scoring a try during the round 15 NRL match between the Canterbury Bulldogs and the Cronulla Sharks at ANZ Stadium on June 30, 2019 in Sydney, Australia. (Photo by Matt King/Getty Images)
The Bulldogs still have finals aspirations on their mind according to fullback Dallin Watene-Zelezniak, following their win over Penrith on the weekend.

The Bulldogs are currently in 15th place with six wins and sit six points outside the top eight. A lot will need to go their way for them to secure one of those eight places, but Watene-Zelezniak is optimistic none the less.

“Who knows? Never say never. That’s my attitude, I play every game like it’s our last,” Watene-Zelezniak told The Sydney Morning Herald.

“I have still got hopes for finals, but you never know. We want to finish on 24 points. There was one year where teams who finished on 24 made the eight.

“That’s the goal, as long as its mathematical there’s a chance. I am still hopeful. I have been in this position before, maybe not so low but I am always hopeful, and you never know what can happen.

TRENDING NOW
“It’s a weird sport.”

Watene-Zelezniak is fairly new to Canterbury having only joined mid-season, but the New Zealand international is enjoying his time in New South Wales.

“I still have got a lot to learn. I am still learning every time I play and train,” he said.

“I love this club, hey. They’ve been amazing since day dot. It opened my eyes a bit, too. I really, really love this club.

“I am very grateful they have given me this opportunity. If they want to keep me, I’ll be over the moon. It’s out of my hands, I just have to keep playing footy and let them do what they need to do.

“Whatever comes my way I’ll take it head on.”

Watene-Zelezniak and the Bulldogs face the eighth-placed Wests Tigers in their next game with a win an absolute must if they are to keep their very loose finals chances alive.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
He's not wrong. Win every game remaining and there's 1% chance we'll make the finals.

Malla

Reaction score
Love the mentality. TBH who knows hey... Panthers, Broncos, Knights, Warriors and Tigers can be absolutely abysmal but we have to rely on them losing games. Either way I still love the mentality and we can effectively end a few seasons as well so that would be good.

Kinda makes you think if Foran had stayed healthy and we win a couple of those close games (ie. Storm and Raiders game) we would have been in the mix. If Foran was healthy as well we would have easily won a few more.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Being delusional and having the faith in yourself required to succeed are different things. I'm glad that at least one player in the team isn't just going to throw in the towel. The never say die attitude was the main reason I was sad to see Reynolds leave the club.

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Just luv the guy, he came to a new club and wants to win , nothing wrong with that its rubbing off on his team mates as we saw on sat against Penrith. Winning last 5 games big big ask but i would be happy with that. What a way to finish the season. A few more like DWZ and were back on track.

beastwood89

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My favourite current player at the dogs full stop, been a massive fan of his since his debut for the panthers 5 years ago, and can not be more happier he is at our club.

The amount of times he has said he loves the club is something that shouldn’t be taken lightly, every game you can see for yourself that he puts it all on the line and leaves nothing in the tank, even from his very first game these are the type of players we need, players with talent and most importantly players who love the jersey and play for the club and not a pay cheque.

Just think about how many other players who have been here for so long I’ve never heard them say how much they long the club, probably besides Reynolds no one.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Love him, great determination. A real shining light.. I like his attitude an belief .. and no offence to DWZ in the slightest, but he needs a rainbow after that comment :tearsofjoy:

Good on ya mate, you can go hard next year and give us more hope than we did have !!

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm confused is he talking about Canterbury Cup 2019 or first grade 2020 in regards to finals?