NRL: Dallin Watene-Zelezniak keen to stay on with Bulldogs

seven07

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He joined the club less than two months ago but Dallin Watene-Zelezniak is already keen on re-signing with Canterbury on a long-term NRL deal.

Watene-Zelezniak showed what Penrith are missing out on after starring in the Bulldogs' 16-8 upset over his former club on Saturday night.

It was the first time the Bulldogs number one faced the Panthers since his shock move to Belmore on an eyebrow-raising 18-month deal in early June.

And the New Zealand captain has seemingly flourished in his new surrounds, averaging 122 metres since the move, to go with 37 tackle breaks and two tries.

Watene-Zelezniak said he's enjoying playing his preferred position at fullback and is keen on continuing his upward trajectory in the role.

"I still have got a lot to learn," he said. "I am still learning every time I play and train. I am enjoying my time there

and as I have said before, I really love playing there and get some freedom up there."

But while Watene-Zelezniak has impressed his new club, he remains free to talk with rival clubs once the off-season begins on November 1.

It leaves the Bulldogs with a decision to make over their long-term fullback, having already been linked to almost every custodian set to enter the market.

The club is already reported to be preparing a lucrative deal to lure Latrell Mitchell from the Sydney Roosters with the promise of playing fullback.

There is also speculation of an ambitious attempt to attract Manly star Tom Trbojevic. Tellingly, both players come off-contract for the 2021 season, which is the same season the Bulldogs will be free from their well-documented salary cap issues.

Watene-Zelezniak indicated he would immediately re-sign if an offer was tabled.

"They've been amazing since day dot. It opened my eyes a bit, too. I really, really love this club. I am very grateful they have given me this opportunity," he said.

"If they want to keep me I'll be over the moon.

"It's out of my hands, I just have to keep playing footy and let them do what they need to do. Whatever comes my way I'll take it head on."

Daustin

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
been here for 6 games and runs the ball back full pelt every time. He would run through a brick wall if asked. thats the kind of player i want on my team. seems like a no brainer to sign him up on a longer deal, if we do sign a marquee fullback then great we can find a new spot for him but if not then id be happy with him there

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He joined the club less than two months ago but Dallin Watene-Zelezniak is already keen on re-signing with Canterbury on a long-term NRL deal.

Watene-Zelezniak showed what Penrith are missing out on after starring in the Bulldogs' 16-8 upset over his former club on Saturday night.

It was the first time the Bulldogs number one faced the Panthers since his shock move to Belmore on an eyebrow-raising 18-month deal in early June.

And the New Zealand captain has seemingly flourished in his new surrounds, averaging 122 metres since the move, to go with 37 tackle breaks and two tries.

Watene-Zelezniak said he's enjoying playing his preferred position at fullback and is keen on continuing his upward trajectory in the role.

"I still have got a lot to learn," he said. "I am still learning every time I play and train. I am enjoying my time there

and as I have said before, I really love playing there and get some freedom up there."

But while Watene-Zelezniak has impressed his new club, he remains free to talk with rival clubs once the off-season begins on November 1.

It leaves the Bulldogs with a decision to make over their long-term fullback, having already been linked to almost every custodian set to enter the market.

The club is already reported to be preparing a lucrative deal to lure Latrell Mitchell from the Sydney Roosters with the promise of playing fullback.

There is also speculation of an ambitious attempt to attract Manly star Tom Trbojevic. Tellingly, both players come off-contract for the 2021 season, which is the same season the Bulldogs will be free from their well-documented salary cap issues.

Watene-Zelezniak indicated he would immediately re-sign if an offer was tabled.

"They've been amazing since day dot. It opened my eyes a bit, too. I really, really love this club. I am very grateful they have given me this opportunity," he said.

"If they want to keep me I'll be over the moon.

"It's out of my hands, I just have to keep playing footy and let them do what they need to do. Whatever comes my way I'll take it head on."
When I heard his post match interview on sat i knew he was a keeper. The fact that he seems so happy at the club is great news, and it's good to have him saying it in public too, as I'm sure our public opinion amongst player/recruits has been somewhat tarnished of late.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Loved the fact the he is adding some ball playing to his game too! It’s easy to forget how young he is too it feels like he’s been around for years. With the money we have freed up after 2020 I doubt he’s going anywhere.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Like this guy.
He’s the long term answer to our fb problems. I don’t think we should be looking at other fb’s (although, the thought of turbo at the bulldogs gets me hard). The money could be better spent.
Hooker, half, centre. That’s where we need to focus.

The Dominator

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Sign him up. This is the sort of guy you build a club around. Im inspired just watching him, i can only imagine how inspirational he is to the young players.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Should send him to Melbourne to work with Slater, so many aspects of his game are suited to FB but he really needs that polish and to continue working on his ballplaying if he's ever going to get to the top tier of fullbacks.

Durie1986

Banned
Reaction score
Need to retain him.

Realistically we won’t get any of the marquee fullbacks. Manly would let Jake go before they let Tom go.

Latrell is a centre. Also can’t imagine he would be a stress free signing.

Malla

Reaction score
Need to retain him.

Realistically we won’t get any of the marquee fullbacks. Manly would let Jake go before they let Tom go.

Latrell is a centre. Also can’t imagine he would be a stress free signing.
Yep 100%. Have to retain him without question.

Would rather us pay $400-450k for Ramien as well as apposed to splashing a million on Lattrell.

That money is better spent on a half and a hooker.

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep 100%. Have to retain him without question.

Would rather us pay $400-450k for Ramien as well as apposed to splashing a million on Lattrell.

That money is better spent on a half and a hooker.
Agreed.
With the effort shown by DWZ, he is a long term keeper.
If he keeps up the enthusiasm and talk, he can be the future captain.
Latrell is hit and miss and a bit of a gamble for that kind of money.
On his day he is unstoppable and worth every cent.
Other days he goes missing or lacks effort.

Malla

Reaction score
Agreed.
With the effort shown by DWZ, he is a long term keeper.
If he keeps up the enthusiasm and talk, he can be the future captain.
Latrell is hit and miss and a bit of a gamble for that kind of money.
On his day he is unstoppable and worth every cent.
Other days he goes missing or lacks effort.
Yeah would not risk it on Lattrell. He's a season away from coming out saying he's home sick bla bla bla and doesnt enjoy his footy anymore

capt obvious

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems a better talker at the back, letting the boys know where to go in the defensive line etc.
Sign him up
Penrith are idiots!